Top 3?

Looking for input on a clothing line to be developed for those of us who embrace the outdoor lifestyle. Please list your top 3 necessities when looking for outdoor clothing. Price, material, DWR, breathability, color/camo, options etc. Don’t think too hard into it. Just pick the top three things that come to your mind when considering a purchase. Thanks!

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
1. For me.......pants with a 37"+ inseam with what used to be a normal length rise and fit (non skinny jean fit).

2. Lightweight, soft, and quiet poly material (like the old Microtex Lite), that's comfortable, breathes well, and dries quickly.

3. Quality. Quality is always a priority, but quality without the first two is useless to me. I could probably make junk quality work at least for a season if the first two are met.

muddydogs

WKR
Sizing, make some clothes that are true to street clothes size and make something for the bigger guy. If a company would make some good quality clothes for the bigger guy they would probably do all right, I know I would go all in on a company that made true 3xl tall shirts, jackets and pants with a 40+ waist and 36+ inseam. None of the other fancy clothes company's come close to accommodating the big guy with there small sizing and athletic fit.

Good reviews and word of mouth get me interested. Sometimes it is hard to take a flyer on an expensive piece of clothing without any basis of knowledge.

Fit and function make me buy. It has to work and feel good when you wear it.

Solid customer service. If I have a problem, you better not only fix it, but you better make me feel like I didn’t get screwed over by your mistake. Mistakes happen and issues arise, but I RARELY EVER buy or buy again from a company that doesn’t have good CS.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
Functionality, comfort, and the integrity of the company standing behind their product. Weight coming in behind those 3.

woodson

FNG
To echo earlier comments:

1. Quality/durability. I will take a weight penalty on materials to not have to make this purchase again in 6-12 months after an active season. I will even pay 20-30% more to not be in the market every other year if you have superlative quality.

2. Versatile Sizing. The best systems seem to size "Standard" and then "Tall". Guys who have smaller builds can downsize and usually be okay, but big guys can't just go up a size and make an inseam or a sleeve bigger or a thigh broader.

3. Solid colors. I don't need your proprietary camo pattern. My favorite pieces from places like First Lite, Mountain Hardware, Orvis, and Patagonia get crossover use for all activities and are essentially lifestyle gear.

OP
Bigdawgridge
I like it all. Appreciate the input so far. Trying to figure out what is needed in the outdoor hunting clothing industry & fill that niche with a great line of clothing & gear. Hoping to possibly get something going in July or August. Not sure if the gear would be ready by then but at least begin officially gathering good intel from potential customers.

Trial153

WKR
I like it all. Appreciate the input so far. Trying to figure out what is needed in the outdoor hunting clothing industry & fill that niche with a great line of clothing & gear. Hoping to possibly get something going in July or August. Not sure if the gear would be ready by then but at least begin officially gathering good intel from potential customers.

Serious question. Do you really feel there is a niche to fill? Seems like the market is pretty saturated at this point no matter what your budget or needs are.

OP
Bigdawgridge
Great question & exactly what I’m trying to determine. I’ve seen lots of complaints about the big ones, especially when it comes to sizing & fit. We are all not professional athlete body types!
Additionally, I’ve spent a fortune on hunting clothing. What if a better price point is introduced for same types of clothing. I know I’d be interested in that for sure. The big ones out there are making millions off of us who grind it out in the field every day. Millions! Why not have a company who is run by the every day guy who doesn’t care about making the millions but rather making quality products (breathable, DWR, durable) available at better prices with truly minimal markups for the every day hunters with limited budgets. Not promising anything but I’m definitely researching the possibilities because I am tired of the high prices.

LionHead

WKR
Durability
I've had big name company clothes have stitching start to unthread after the first outing. Not what I want when I'm 8 miles back. But scoot on some shale/granite and blow an a/c vent in your rear, not cool. Clothing is a survival item. Build clothes with that in mind.

Sizing
In my 20's I was a competitive athlete and cut weight for bouts. Even at my slimmest (5'10" 230#) I was 38-40" waist and 2xl tops. Even back then sizing was a bitch. After pushing a patrol car for 3 years I'm not at my sleekest but I still workout and hunt. Don't forget about the big, tall, squatty, husky and ogre-ish guys.

Skinny jeans dont belong in the mountains. I need a 90% of the time layer (Jacket & Pants) that can fit a puffy or thermal layer under and rain gear cut to fit over with out binding my hips when I stepup or my shoulders when I raise my arms. Military sizing was pretty good for this and offered a "standard".

Features
no wierd non-symetrical pocket layouts like the granola companies do. What gear and when do you access that gear with your other "gear." Mil style 6 pocket pants, with dedicated folder/M.tool pockets, Velcro adjustable knee pads built in ( this was like trekking poles for me, never go without em anymore). Pack belt accessible chest pockets, Adjustable hoods, cuffs, pitzips ect.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

muddydogs

WKR
Hoods, at least make them removable. In 20 years of working in the woods I never saw the need for a hood, all they do is collect junk, get wet and bunch up under the pack or bino harness. I go out of my way to purchase gear without stinking hoods.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Great question & exactly what I’m trying to determine. I’ve seen lots of complaints about the big ones, especially when it comes to sizing & fit.

If I could find several yards of Cabela's original Microtex Lite material, I'd hire a seamstress to make up a bunch of sets for me. I've been using these shirts and pants every September for the past 10-12 years, so they're obviously "durable enough". They fit great, the pants came unhemmed at 37" so they're just about long enough, they're super lightweight, quiet, and comfortable......and the best part, they were only $20 a piece on clearance. However, now that they're all discontinued I would gladly pay their original full $79.99 price even if Sitka and KUIU and the rest of them came in at the same price point and those fit as well.

OP
Bigdawgridge
If I could find several yards of Cabela's original Microtex Lite material.....

Agreed! That's exactly the type of material that I'm looking at. I have a set of those pants as well and they're amazing. Unfortunately since BPS bought Cabela's much of the good stuff that Cabela's used to carry is now gone.

Achigan1

Lil-Rokslider
Real shirts would be nice....buttons, chest pockets, sleeves you can roll, collar you can turn up....can’t work with the body fit no pockets stuff.
Agree on the microtex....still nursing my last couple of sets.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lannyw