Top 4 units to collect points for in Colorado

HOT ROD

WKR
This is all good info... I will add. Pic a otc unit and stick with it... Learn the unit good. JMO to many people go one year.. And jump to another unit.. And start all over... May be U could find a otc unit.. That is close to a draw unit.. That U mite be interested in.. And spend a little time in there.... Getting to know that unit to.. So when U draw the tag.. U will be of and running....

Whip

WKR
I agree with the suggestions to focus on OTC units and get out there and get some experience. But at the same time, I would also be building points for the future. It doesn't cost anything extra to apply for the point as a first choice and then get the OTC tag to use each year.
I started years ago, and have now been cashing in on some great hunts as a result. Yes, point creep is a problem, but down the road some year you might really wish that you had some points in the bank for a great hunt somewhere. I wouldn't even worry about thinking about where or when at this point.
And while the units that don't require many points to draw might not be top tier, they do limit hunter numbers, so there is some advantage I would think.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would always put in for points in CO, regardless of what your plans are. You can always potentially draw under-subscribed draw units as well, or just go OTC. But I'd always at least get a point......especially for archery.

OP
A

ahawk116

FNG
Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to start putting in for points. My plan is to start hunting elk annually after 2017. I have a whitetail hunt planned already that year and I only get so much time away from family. As I considered it I figure that I am 30 years old and I will only be able to elk hunt for so long so after my Kansas trip in 2017 my destination hunts from here until I can no longer do it will be elk. If any of you guys willing I would love to pick your brains over the phone or email if you can message me.
I don't even know where to begin when I'm looking at maps after I have picked a unit.
I have a system for whitetails to narrow down options and it seems like that would also be the case with elk. I don't have the experience to do so though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We typically put in for points for our 1st choice and there are a few select units(archery) you can draw with a 2nd choice, not much better than OTC, but a little.

That said, we now have enough points that we could at least try and draw our unit(2 nr drew last year with the number of points we have) so there is at least a shot. Even if we don't draw on our 2nd choice, which is statistically possible, if not probable, we will hunt an OTC unit we have hunted many times.

If you want to go in 2018, look at those units mentioned above and look at which ones you can draw with your 2nd choice. I would not use a 1st choice if you didn't have to. Hope you at least applied for a pp this year, guess you still have today. Then you can figure it out in the coming year which unit makes sense for next year.

I will say that one of the units we like actually regressed last year. We couldn't go due to work commitments, but it went from a 2 pt unit to a 1 point unit...It is a nasty one though.

I think hunting, applying and gathering points is the way to go. Apply and gather pts in colo, az. Apply in NM. Plan on OTC in Idaho or colo. 8-13 years you should draw AZ(my fav). You may get lucky and draw NM. Use your points every 4-5 years in Colorado. Fall back every year on colo/id.
Then there is deer :)