Top 5 Hunting Gear Ranking

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a few friends/acquaintances recently get interested in hunting and the inevitable questions of what gear do I need came up. This made me reflect back to the days I started hunting and bought the gear that I could afford but have ultimately spent more money over the years than if I saved up and bought higher quality to start.

Let’s see your list based on the following. If you could go back and tell your younger self or a new hunter who has a finite amount of money and is just getting started what is your top 5 essential items to focus on? Order of list signifying where you’d spend your money, most on #1 and so forth. I don’t want to set a dollar amount as everyone’s budget and financial situation is different.

Here’s mine:
1a - Optics (for this purposes binos and gun scope, spotter a separate item)
1b - Boot
3 - Frame pack - at least for where I hunt now
4 - Rifle (does not include scope)
5 - Range Finder

Last edited:

svivian

WKR
1. Glass/Binos
2. Top end Pack
3. Points for other states
4. Shelter/with a stove
5. Boots

The pack is a big one for me that took a long time to figure out. I went through about 7 different packs until i finally went all out and bought an Exo and it has made the biggest difference in comfort and how long i want to stay out and how much i can carry. With that said Glass is the most important thing to me not because its necessary to kill something but I use them all year long for more than just Hunting.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Money for the range
2. Boots
3. Binoculars
4. Pack, just has to be appropriate for the situation. Upgrade after you know better what kind of hunting you’re going to do.
5. Gas money to get you out there for scouting, hunting

1- quality pack
2- quality 10x binos w/ chest rig
3- mountain boots
4- Gun/Scope combo
5- $$$ and time to spend at the range - practicing actual hunting situations
-sitting, kneeling, off bipod, off sticks, off pack, standing etc etc

OP
G

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
My younger self:
1- Points in multiple states
2- Boots
3- Pack
4- Real pillow
5- Glass
Pillow for like backpacking situations? What pillow do you recommend then since that’s high on your list?

OP
G

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
1- quality pack
2- quality 10x binos w/ chest rig
3- mountain boots
4- Gun/Scope combo
5- $$$ and time to spend at the range - practicing actual hunting situations
-sitting, kneeling, off bipod, off sticks, off pack, standing etc etc
Didn’t really consider range time or investing in points as some had mentioned in my “gear” consideration but definitely agree they are very important. Especially range time, I’ve shot with a lot of people and it’s surprising how many only shoot right before hunting season to check their zero but have issues shooting consistently!

I personally try to not hunt with someone new until I’ve shot with them as I want to see how they handle their rifle and what their actual effective range is.

zacattack

WKR
If it’s backpacking hunting My number one is going to be a sleeping bag and pad, I can deal with some less than stellar gear during the day but at night I want to just crawl into a warm sleeping bag that won’t fail me.
2. Pack
3. Boots
4. Weapon
5. Optics

Honorable mention at 6 would be a good I guess “do all coat”. Something like the Sitka jetstream

Carr5vols

WKR
Pillow for like backpacking situations? What pillow do you recommend then since that’s high on your list?
I sleep on a foam pillow at home and I have a custom one made out of foam that is about 1/3 size is a king pillow. It weighs about 1 lb but so much better than a blow up pillow. Sleep is king right above taking care of feet for me.

Mosby

WKR
For hunting in general, the biggest improvement I made over the last 30 years for hunting wasn't my hunting gear but it has been my truck. A 4x4 with good off road tires, chains, straps, a shovel and a chainsaw make a huge difference when and where I can travel and hunt and if I can get out. The last thing I used to put money into was my vehicle, tires and recovery equipment and now it is a priority. Getting stuck a few times and sliding off a road changes your perspective I guess.

That said, for backpack hunting the things that improved my life the most:

- a quality tent that was comfortable and can withstand wind and snow
- a warm sleeping bag
- an insulated pad
- a down coat with a hood
- hiking poles

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
1- Boots
2- pack
3- binos
4- rifle
5- food/ hydration systems

My thoughts is that if your feet hurt you're not hiking anywhere let alone pack out an animal. If you can't be mobile I don't see how anything else is relevant to get you into the back country.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
So I’ve backpacked and backpack hunted for 30 years now. If you’re talking strictly gear for being out in the back country and surviving, their top 5 should look something like this…

1. Water Purification
2. First Aid
3. Fire Starter (lighter/backup/cold weather starter)
4. Sleep System that can get you and keep you warm/dry quickly.
5. Food with with good weight to calories ratio.

Holocene

WKR
1. Optics
2. A weapon (bow, rifle, or shotgun) that I've practiced with extensively
3. Boots
4. High end frame pack
5. Equipment to field dress, pack out, and process meat at home. I include quality game bags, knives that are ACTUALLY SHARP, tie down straps, etc. Getting meat into the kitchen is the main reason I hunt, so over the years I've worked hard to make the exercise of turning an animal into food as stress free, clean, and fun as possible. Sometimes, that means taking the cooler to my butcher!

Jimss

WKR
Best Optics money can buy is my #1 choice
Binos-rangefinder combo
Best tripod $ can buy
All round camo jacket with pitzips
Kuiu or Sitka Rain pants/jacket with pitzips
Crispi boots
300 wsm Sako rifle with Leupold scope (great value for $)
Kifaru backpack/frame
Hilleberg tent
Quality ultra zoom camera for scouting photos snd video

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
For me that is predominantly a whitetail hunter in the Midwest my list would be very different than most above.
1. scent control weather appropriate clothes
2. Warm boots for long sits
3. Comfortable stand for long sits
4. gun/bow
5. Range finder

fatlander

WKR
1.)Boots
2.)Sleep system
3.)Backpack
4.)Variety of good food
5.) Glass

Most important piece of the puzzle that isn’t gear is having the gravel in your gut to grind through the suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk