Top End GPS Units

I posted a similar thread that discussed the option of linking a SPOT-type device to it. However, if we set that notion aside what is the best as far as features, screen resolution, AA batteries, map and/or aerial imagery (or what not), navigation (both through its controls and bushwhacking), and etc.? I am looking at DeLorme, Garmin and Magellan but not closed to others.

Thanks in advance.

littlebuf

Banned
ive tried a few and personally like the garmin 60csx the best.i hunt some of the thickest brush you can find and it always picks me up.i really don't use a gps much but i always have it on me for setting way points and then transferring them to google earth back at home.the 60csx is pretty user friendly.if your a solo guy like me you dont need the 2 way features of the rhino,if you do get the rihno 550 (i think thats the model) its the priciest one but i didnt like the cheaper models.seemed hard to get accurate readings with

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Garmin Oregon 450, and it is an excellent GPS with a nice antenna. The BaseCamp software is pretty easy to use, and the unit easily mates up with my TOPO! National Geographic software as well. The Garmin GPS systems are also compatible with HuntingGPSmaps SD cards and software, which can provide publice/private boundaries AND landowner information. It is a very good product.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the garmin rhino 530chx with color screen 5w radio and the rechargeable lithium batteries. The battery will last about 7 days if you leave it on continuously, so more than enough for hunting trips.

Curtis C

WKR
I am currently using a Garmin E Trex 30 I have been liking this unit quite well. From what I remember it uses the same receiver as the Oregon and Dakota but in a non touchscreen design. I had a 60csx also which is still a nice GPS, but the etrex 30 has been more accurate and faster.

I do have a Delorme PN60 with the SPOT communicator. It is an excellent GPS/SPOT combo. When it comes to GPS function alone I would say the PN60 is as good or better than the Etrex 30 or the 60csx. I do a lot of mountain biking and like taking the SPOT with me. The weakness in the PN60(IMO) is it isn't bike friendly. I end up using the Garmin for gps and carry the pn60 in my pack for SPOT operation. Because of that I am going to list the PN60 and SPOT in the rokslide classified when my subscription ends on April 19th 2012. I will then switch to the SPOT connect since I always take my cell phone when I ride. I would like to keep it for hunting/hiking but I can't justify have 2 SPOT subsriptions.

C

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
FYI the Dakota20 and Garmin Oregon450 internaly you can save a decent amount of money by buying a Dakota and putting a big sd card in it to get more memory. I owned a 450 for awhile and found I get a decent amount more battery time with.the Dakota over the 450 so kept the 20 just my opinion...Good luck

sk1

WKR
i use the garmin gps mapSC

it's new but so far i like it alot, i stayed away from the montana and oregon due to the touch screen, i am just not a fan of that, and even more so in cold weather....the gpsmap series has 3 or 4 different models so you can pick what is right for your budget as far as how many features you get....i got the one with the built in digital camera, 3rd axis compass(not a must by any means, but nice), and it's like a 4 gig internal hd and capable of being expanded with mico sd....i love it for the awesome positioning it gives, even in decent tree cover as well as the bigger screen (big as far as non-touch screen models are concerned) which makes it nice with my topo maps and birdseye satellite imagery.

the garmin etrex higher end models, the vista hcx, etrex 20 and 30......are all very functional units, just a few less options

i recommend as far as non-touch screen models are concerned, the gpsmap series, then etrex....can't really go wrong just get the model that fits your budget and needs

and finally.....i only recommend garmin, i don't have extensive experience with other models, but i have seen a high end delorme and that lowrance one....and they seem like a pile of crap....even though some of them have good features they just don't function that great.....and if you buy a garmin you can get some of the best mapping software around IMO. www.huntinggpsmaps.com

Xtorminator

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 450t and my dad has the Rhino, as far as I'm concerned the touch screen is way easier to use. I leave mine on all day while hunting and the batteries last all day. I run mine with out the back light on, this will give you extra battery life.

sk1

WKR
what about with gloves on?

and i know when its snowing and sub 15 degrees i dont want to mess with a touch screen

maybe it always works perfectly, obviously touch screen has come a long way over the last couple years, personal preference i guess....just not mine. if it works it works!

dotman

WKR
I really like my etrex 20 and it is simple to use with gloves. Now it isn't the top model they have but for less then $200 it does almost all the same things and has more satts to connect to then some of the more expensive garmins.

Lawnboi

WKR
I can use my oregon just fine with gloves. You know its pretty darn tough pushing those little buttons on other gps units with big gloves on too, sometimes even harder.

sk1

WKR
yeah i used to have an etrex, they are simple and work just as well as the more expensive models

for the most part, i dont think you can go wrong with garmin

B

bearguide

i need one that will show me when i am crossing from public land into private. i have an old etrex. will the dakota 20 mentioned above work with maps (tradair)

dotman

WKR
The new etrex is better then the dakota and has more features. The private/public will be in the mapping and you could get this for your older etrex from huntinggpsmaps.com

sk1

WKR
yes what dotman said.....it will work with MOST older etrex models, but maybe not the lower end ones......you will either need to have internal memory space or a micro sd card slot on your gps to use these maps

here is their compatibility list http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/gps-maps/gpscompatibility.html

if you purchase and use the PLAT version of these maps it will show you national forest, state land, blm, county, and private lands both on your computer through garmin basecamp, and on your gps, as well as topo lines, trailheads, streams, etc

edit: BLM version of maps does show all the same things such as national forest, etc.....but it will not list landowner names, however it will show up as private land.....the only downfall to this if you hunt anywhere that there is public county land, it also shows up as private unnamed land.....probably not an issue for most out west, but some of the places i do day trips there is a lot of county land so i like the plat version

also im not sure what you mean by (tradair) ? is that a type of maps?

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Many Garmin units support Google Imagery through their "BirdsEye" service. It is a yearly subscription.