Top Lid Help

Camo

Lil-Rokslider
I want to put a bladder flat on top of a DT II, as I don't like them inside the pack and I will have other uses for the vertical pockets. I was planning to go with a standard lid and a UL Longpocket with only a 4.5 oz penalty, however, I think it will take a KU adapter kit and I don't want a "loose" fit. Going with the standard lid and a 500 LL pocket gives me better security at 9.5 oz penalty. The other thought would be to use a Longhunter, or XLT lid and put the bladder in it with a 13.5/11.5 oz. weight cost. Additionally, I have no use for the "stand-alone" features of these lids (although, I can't seem to find anything specific to the Longhunter other than 1000ci) so it would simply be for bladder/ misc. storage. Is this a bad plan? Thanks for any thoughts.

Sounds like an interesting idea. The only problem I see is water is heavy and I like the weight of my full water bladder where the built in pocket locates it. Maybe get and lock load #5? or something and leave your bladder in the pocket and the extra cu for the stuff you had in the vertical pocket. I think Aron also said the med long pocket works well as a lid and some are using a claymore pocket as well

OP
C

Camo

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I'm missing something, isn't the bladder pocket on the inside of the DTII? I was not planning to use it due to wanting access to the bladder without going into the main pack. I can never get the bladder completely filled when it is inside the pack and typically "under pressure" from compression and other items. Laying across the top of the pack(somewhat forward) was the second best option I could come up with to distribute the weight evenly.

Mike7

WKR
Here is another possible option for you?
A 500 Light Cordura Back Pouch is 9.5 ounces, fits perfectly over a standard Timberline lid size-wise, and would be able to accomodate a small puffy coat and a water bladder so that you don't have to get into the main pack compartment at stops.

OP
C

Camo

Lil-Rokslider
I had considered that, relatively convenient and probably perfect 90% of the time. Was still concerned about compression with vertical straps and having an odd shaped top when the pack was full, but not ruling it out. Thanks for the thought.