Top rated muzzleloader bullet?

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m going on a muzzleloader elk hunt this fall in New Mexico. I’ve shot multiple elk and deer in colorado with a .50 cal. So this hunt I’ll be able to go all out and since New Mexico doesn’t have as many restrictions I’m thinking of going to a Barnes TMZ 290 grain but wanted to see what everyone else suggests or prefers?
I shoot a TC pro hunter
Thanks everyone!!

Jd259

WKR
Interested in this as well I’ve got a Utah muzzy tag and curious as to what guys have to say I’ve used power belts in the past with good success but if there’s better options out there I’m all ears.

OP
Hondo0925

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Same here. Power belts have treated me good as well. I would just love to push the envelope a little for this hunt.
The Thor bullets are catching my eye though.

Second Thor. They are actually made by Barnes but the option of sizing specifically for your muzzy really improved the accuracy out of my Encore

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Hondo0925

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks!! Yeah being able to size to my bore is an awesome option. I don’t see the sizing pack on their website. I’m guessing you have to call them or something.

We've had good results with the No Excuses bullets out of 2 TC pro hunters, mine and a friend's. He sent us a sizing pack or something like that. There are about 5 or 6 bullets in .001 increments and you figure out which one fits your barrel snug but not tight. I hear a lot of people like the Thor's but I've never tried them because these work so well in our guns. And I bow hunt now so it just collects dust in the safe anyway.

Slugz

WKR
Another vote for the THOR. I think you will be impressed with the accuracy.

Last edited:

Smtn10pt

FNG
Thors were accurate out of my TC but not impressive on game performance. I shot a 200 pound black bear at 20 yards and didnt get a pass through. When I found the bullet it never really opened up. Luckily the bear was hit perfectly and only went 50 yards. If I were to hunt elk I'd use one of the No Excuses bullets.

Slugz

WKR
Thors were accurate out of my TC but not impressive on game performance. I shot a 200 pound black bear at 20 yards and didnt get a pass through. When I found the bullet it never really opened up. Luckily the bear was hit perfectly and only went 50 yards. If I were to hunt elk I'd use one of the No Excuses bullets.
20 yard shot
Probably goin over 1500FPS
Dumping all the energy into the animal so about 1100 ft lbs
Perfect shot in the heart.
50 cal / 250gr bullet was probably near 100% weight retention
Animal dies from trauma and goes 50 yards.

Sounds good to me :) I'll take that track job every day :)

Last edited:
OP
Hondo0925

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
I here a lot of people on here talking about the No Excuses bullets, I’ll have to pick some up! Here in the next week or so I’ll start doing some load development and see how all these different bullet shoot.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
Not a purist. I will hunt with any legal weapon during any season, but muzzleloader hunting is my favorite. When I got seriously involved in muzzleloader hunting (quite some time ago), Barnes Expander MZ (also marketed as Knight Red Hots I think) were all the rage.

I have experienced devastating terminal performance, and have filled a tall pile of big game tags with them. Recovered bullets are impressive to say the least. As long as I can continue to source them, I am going to have trouble convincing myself to change.

Recognize however, that I limit my shots to sub 200 yards, and I have not hunted in areas that do not allow sabot projectiles. Those factors may have bearing on your final choice.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
I would stick with what you have had success with. If its not broke dont try and fix it. I use the Thor and the barnes expanders and love both.

C10

FNG
For what it’s worth I have a problem with muzzleloaders. I can’t get enough. I will shoot different bullets just to try them out.

This past weekend I shot 2 different Encores with 26” barrels. I tried the 250 gn Tradition Carnivore(I wasn’t impressed) with 78 gn by weight of BH209. Neither gun liked them. I could have tried different powder weight but that is what I had.

I also shot the Harvester 300 gn white lightning with 84 gn by weight BH209. Using the crushrib sabot( a little snug). One encore shot an 1” group and the other 1.3” group.
Also it seems all the encore muzzleloaders I have seem to like a 300 gn XTP with a crushrib sabot over 84 gn of BH 209.
777 works also with 110 gn by volume.

The Barnes 290 TMZ's grouped the best out of my CVA (compared to powerbelts, hornady, and thors) and worked great on a pile of deer and pronghorn. After moving to CO, I use the Thor 300 gr now and they've worked well too.

dwhall20

FNG
I have a LE muzzy tag in Utah and will be shooting the Hornady SSTs in 300 grain. Always had great success with the 250 grain SSTs on mule deer.

Rooster46

FNG
My family shoots dead centers bullets out of bighorn knights muzzleloders. 340 grain bullet with 110 grains of powder. You have to order them out of Cañada. We shoot iron sights to 200 consistently. Many many critters have died with this bullet/load. I swear by em.

C10

FNG
My family shoots dead centers bullets out of bighorn knights muzzleloders. 340 grain bullet with 110 grains of powder. You have to order them out of Cañada. We shoot iron sights to 200 consistently. Many many critters have died with this bullet/load. I swear by em.
I have used them for deer. Even with kid loads there was always a short recovery and a good blood trail. We used the 260 gn.