Top two mountain cartridges

Rokslide folks, I'm looking at buying two new rifles as a form of "retail therapy" and looking to discuss rifles as a bit of an escape.

My grandfather (87 years old) has only a few days left. His hunting stories of burly big woods whitetail bucks were what sparked my passion for hunting and wild places when I was a small boy. He'll be greatly missed.

I have tentative plans to hunt mountain goats in British Columbia this summer (all depends if my friend who can host me can get the time off work in mid August) and one of these days I will either get out west to hunt elk or finally draw an Ontario elk or moose tag as well. Long story short, I'd like to add two rifles to my safe with future "mountain hunting" in mind.

Criteria

1) I can't ever see myself shooting beyond 400 meters at an actual live animal in field conditions
2) The Browning X-Bolt is my preferred rifle platform so it would need to be chambered in that rifle
3) I can afford to have two distinct rifles so would like each focused on each niche

Rifle One) Deer/Mountain Goat/Sheep

Rifle Two) Elk/Moose

Thanks for "playing along" and for your input.

ianpadron

WKR
Oooohh fun game!

Since your range is 400 yds I'd say 25.06 or .243 for deer/goat/sheep and .30-06 for elk/bear.

Absolutely zero need for a magnum, or super efficient 6.5 or 7mm for anything you described.

25.06 is the most underrated cartridge in existence in my opinion. Fun to shoot as well.

X-bolts are nice, but for a true mountain gun I'd go lighter.

Let us know what you scoop up!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

These are absolutely fun threads. Expect to see a wiiiiiiide range if opinions on this.

Rifle 1 - I also like the 25-06, such a nostalgic cartridge. The .260 or 6.5 CM would be great as well.

Rifle 2 - The 30-06 does nothing for me but that’s completely just my opinion. Although a pair of 06’s would be kinda cool. 300win would be my choice. Once again, that’s JMO

Have fun picking and get only what you want to get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was starting fresh:

I like the Browning Hell’s Canyon Speed a lot. I don’t currently own one but will. I have handled one and I like them.

Hard to beat the above recommendations.

1) 25.06, 260 or 6.5 CM (Browning May offer 6.5 PRM)
2) Definitely the 300 Win Mag

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to hear about your grandfather, it's always hard to go through loosing someone you love and respect.

I live in SW Montana and I'm getting a little long in the tooth (62 this August) so I tend to like lighter rifles regardless of the caliber - I can always put a brake on the rifle and make light loads for it.

I think the lighter rifle could be anything from a 25-06 up to a .270, I'm traditional and prefer the .270. The most important reason for my choice is the fact that it's easy to find ammo for the .270.

For the heavier rifle either a .308 or a 30-06. Again, both make it easy to find ammo but also, out to 400 yards, both will drop just about anything you would want to shoot. In my area there is a lot of forest so most shots are either under 100 yards or around 300, very seldom do you have shots between. Either caliber with 168 to 178 grain bullets will take elk and moose without a problem.

WKR
For a mountain rifle I would assume you would want to keep the weight down so I would stick to a short action rifle such as the 6.5 cm or 7mm08. With shots being under 400 yards for your elk rifle, find a rifle you are comfortable with and use it. I would recommend a .270 or larger caliber and a magnum cartridge isnt a necessity.

I’m one of those who thinks the .25/06 is a tremendously under rated cartridge. If I was limited to one cartridge for the mountain west/Alaska I’d go 300 am. But since I’m not and the 25 is so versatile I vote for a 338.

manitou1

WKR
What I did: I bought an X-Bt in .280 Rem. It was scary accurate with Accubonds. Liked it so much, I bought another in .280! Now I have two .5" grouping rifles that I can hunt anything I go after, with identical loads. 140 gr Accubonds going 3040 fps are DEADLY. X-Bolt has very easy recoil due to it's stock design and recoil pad. Fairly lightweight too... but not too light to be accurate.
I have had four X-Bolts. Amazing rifles for the money.

I’m not a 6.5 Creedmoor fan, but it fits your bill well for the first rifle. I’d stick with a short action for the first, 257 bob, 7x57, or 7-08 for me. For the second rifle 300 win mag if you don’t mind shooting a big magnum. Myself I’d go 270/280/30-06 family. I used to have a friend with a 300 win mag in a browning BAR, it was a nice shooting gun, but I don’t find 300 win mag very fun to shoot in a bolt gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I like short action in a mountain rifle. One rifle would work fine for what you describe, but If you just have to have two....

1. I'd go 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor, or another similar cartridge

2. I'd go 300 wsm.

Good luck...

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
6.5 CM / 300 win mag vote here as well. I feel completely covered in every situation. Working on a 6.5 PRC now just for fun and big mulies.

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
Thought there would be more variety:
I am falling in line with what most others are saying.
I have and like a 243, 25-06 and 260. Then jump up to a 30-06 and 300 WM.

I have an addiction to building and getting really really tight groups in rifles so i keep building more to take on a new task but I like the 25/6.5 mm cartridges and then the 30's. Any animal on the planet, except for Africa are susceptible to these rounds in very ethical, efficient manner.