Top two mountain cartridges

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Id go with a .270 and a .375 HH mag if your planning on hunting moose anywhere there is grizzlys. A 270 or 30-06 will do it all but I sure like my 375. Really puts down the big critters quick.

375 HH is a great caliber and it does give you a bit of a piece of mind in bear country. On some of my float hunts I’ve opted to take my 375 because I knew shots on moose were going to be under 100yd and bears were going to be out (plus I wasn’t hiking with the rifle). It’s basically a souped up 30-06.

excaliber

WKR
Why handcuff yourself with saying you will only shoot out to 400 yards. What happens when that big bull is sitting there broadside at 550 yards? I'd go with a 300 Win Mag. You can shoot lighter bullets and heavier bullets with this gun and it will do everything you say you want a gun to do +
The 300 Win Mag is an awesome caliber that does it all and does it really well.

Deer and sheep I'd go 7mm-08 or the good ole 270 for faster flatter shooting. I'd move goats into the group with moose & elk paired with a 300wm or 300wsm.

The 325wsm is a phenomenal round. My 325wsm is the favorite rifle in my safe. I've ran handloaded 200gr Accubond for moose, goat, brown bear and black bear. Im a keep shooting until its down guy and I've yet to need a followup shot with this round. That being said, ammo selection is pretty limited.
AGREE - If you don't handload there are as good or better choices UNLESS you have a 325 WSM rifle you just can't part with, then take up handloading for sure ! 200's and don't turn your back on 220's either

338 Win Mag will do everything "shooting" wise that the others will do and "killing" wise it's a good step above most of them … versatile and ammo is more available than most think, particularly in AK and B.C. - the "better bullets" theory works just as well for 338 size slugs as it does for the rest of 'em

LaGriz

WKR
+1 on a 6.5 CM and a 338-06. to fit the 2 rifle criteria described.

That said, I have a M700 Mt. Rifle in .280 Rem that can fill in nicely in role #1 for the 6.5 and I have a Kimber Montana 8400 in .325" WSM that could handle the #2 role nicely. Both of these weapons have limited choices when it comes to ammo selection.

Note: The .325 really likes the 220 gr. Power Point Bonded bullets. This load carries serious energy at long range with nearly the same trajectory as 130 Grain out of a .270 win. The weight with a 24" barrel is a comfortable 6lbs 2 oz. un-scoped. Build quality, control round feed CRF design, a 3-position safety, with a Sweet trigger are all welcome traits.
I don't like the muzzle brake (too loud) on the Kimber. It's true that it now has less muzzle jump and kicks less than the .280 Remington. Did I mention that it's very LOUD! Nor do I really like the Montana's, 3-shot capacity blind-magazine, or the synthetic stock.

The .280 has a horrible factory trigger that needs to be replaced, and the walnut stock is beat up with a useless recoil pad. It does however shoot tiny groups before it heats up, even with the poor trigger. Finding ammo has been a problem . I typically discover a good factory load, only to have it discontinued before I can stock pile some. The Federal .160 gr. Accubond shoots lights out with good results!

LaGriz

+1 on a 6.5 CM and a 338-06. to fit the 2 rifle criteria described.

That said, I have a M700 Mt. Rifle in .280 Rem that can fill in nicely in role #1 for the 6.5 and I have a Kimber Montana 8400 in .325" WSM that could handle the #2 role nicely. Both of these weapons have limited choices when it comes to ammo selection.

Note: The .325 really likes the 220 gr. Power Point Bonded bullets. This load carries serious energy at long range with nearly the same trajectory as 130 Grain out of a .270 win. The weight with a 24" barrel is a comfortable 6lbs 2 oz. un-scoped. Build quality, control round feed CRF design, a 3-position safety, with a Sweet trigger are all welcome traits.
I don't like the muzzle brake (too loud) on the Kimber. It's true that it now has less muzzle jump and kicks less than the .280 Remington. Did I mention that it's very LOUD! Nor do I really like the Montana's, 3-shot capacity blind-magazine, or the synthetic stock.

The .280 has a horrible factory trigger that needs to be replaced, and the walnut stock is beat up with a useless recoil pad. It does however shoot tiny groups before it heats up, even with the poor trigger. Finding ammo has been a problem . I typically discover a good factory load, only to have it discontinued before I can stock pile some. The Federal .160 gr. Accubond shoots lights out with good results!

LaGriz
with a CRF 325 WSM that shoots 220's well there is no need for a 338 of any flavor - I too dislike the Kimber blind magazine feature, I shoot/hunt a Kimber HUNTER and find it quite to my liking in all respects (include cost of the rifle)

TwoTikkas

WKR
338 Win Mag will do everything "shooting" wise that the others will do and "killing" wise it's a good step above most of them … versatile and ammo is more available than most think, particularly in AK and B.C. - the "better bullets" theory works just as well for 338 size slugs as it does for the rest of 'em

The 338 Win mag is one of my all time favorite cartridges. Two tons of muzzle energy in an 06 length action. No need for a 26" barrel. Recoil is vigorous ,but manageable. What's not to like? Used one here for whitetail for years. Old tanger Ruger.

Like others have said, you are going to get a ton of different responses and opinions.

1) .270 Win
2) .300 Win Mag

You can buy ammo for both of them about anywhere in the world in a pinch.

Even with all the great calibers we have available to us these days, it’s pretty hard to make an argument with this. I’m pretty sure Jack O’Connor would at least partially agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

archp625

WKR
Even with all the great calibers we have available to us these days, it’s pretty hard to make an argument with this. I’m pretty sure Jack O’Connor would at least partially agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also truly believe that if someone wanted to cut the difference and be a one man, one gun guy, the 30-06 would be a good choice. I believe you can load 180's in the 30-06. I've been throwing around the idea of doing this my self.

EmperorMA

WKR
I propose something new: One rifle with great glass that can do it all for the same price of your two Brownings and glass (assuming a budget of <$1,000.00 for each of two scopes):

Weatherby Mark V Backcountry in 6.5 Wby RPM - 24” barrel, 5 lbs 4 oz $2,499.00

Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50 - $1,699.99

Total: $4,198.99

The 6.5 Wby RPM cartridge is perfect for all North American game and nearly any bullet with a good BC will let you just about hold on fur out to 400. You certainly wouldn’t need to dial and a basic Christmas tree-style holdover reticle is all you’d ever need. The recoil generated should be well within tolerable range for almost all shooters, even without the included muzzle brake. The rifle carries a 1 MOA accuracy guarantee and has many features that you’d only find on much more expensive custom jobs. Plus, it is LIGHT.

The Zeiss scope has fluoride glass and is nearly an inch and a half shorter and 8 oz lighter than the popular Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50. I’d run it for your purposes with the ZBR reticle and get it dialed in for whatever bullet you end up going with for quick and easy shots without the worry and hassle of time-consuming turret dialing.

I propose something new: One rifle with great glass that can do it all for the same price of your two Brownings and glass (assuming a budget of <$1,000.00 for each of two scopes):

Weatherby Mark V Backcountry in 6.5 Wby RPM - 24” barrel, 5 lbs 4 oz $2,499.00

Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50 - $1,699.99

Total: $4,198.99

The 6.5 Wby RPM cartridge is perfect for all North American game and nearly any bullet with a good BC will let you just about hold on fur out to 400. You certainly wouldn’t need to dial and a basic Christmas tree-style holdover reticle is all you’d ever need. The recoil generated should be well within tolerable range for almost all shooters, even without the included muzzle brake. The rifle carries a 1 MOA accuracy guarantee and has many features that you’d only find on much more expensive custom jobs. Plus, it is LIGHT.

The Zeiss scope has fluoride glass and is nearly an inch and a half shorter and 8 oz lighter than the popular Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50. I’d run it for your purposes with the ZBR reticle and get it dialed in for whatever bullet you end up going with for quick and easy shots without the worry and hassle of time-consuming turret dialing.
in reference to cartridges, you are about 10 down the list from the top pick ….. although a 6.5 is from a decent pick for a large handful of game animals, IF it's your ONLY choice you're way out of touch with reality and completely left out on several

Banker

FNG
Here are my picks:

Browning X-Bolt Medallion Carbon Fiber 6.5 Creedmoor

Browning X Bolt Pro Bolt Action Rifle - 300 Win Mag, 26", Lightweight Sporter

EmperorMA

WKR
in reference to cartridges, you are about 10 down the list from the top pick ….. although a 6.5 is from a decent pick for a large handful of game animals, IF it's your ONLY choice you're way out of touch with reality and completely left out on several
Please help me understand how a 140+ 6.5mm bullet started out at 3100fps is “out of touch with reality” for a light rifle that is to be used for “mountain hunting” of goats, deer and perhaps an elk or a moose at 400 yards or less? A slippery bullet will still be humming along at 2500fps at that range. That’s 400fps faster than a 180gr bullet started from a 300 Win Mag.

Last edited:
Please help me understand how a 140+ 6.5mm bullet started out at 3100fps is “out of touch with reality” for a light rifle that is to be used for “mountain hunting” of goats, deer and perhaps an elk or a moose at 400 yards or less? A slippery bullet will still be humming along at 2500fps at that range. That’s 400fps faster than a 180gr bullet started from a 300 Win Mag.
Your assertion of "perhaps" elk or moose, aside from not being in the original criteria also fails to identify that being in the proximity of at the very least 2 of those species could quite likely place you in Grizzley/Brown bear locales, although YOU may feel adequately represented with a 6.5 "anything" I don't - As you form your response to me you should probably take note also that the original posed query was, in fact, for TWO rifles, not a "one and done" set up - AND if you want to start comparing all things germane between ... AH, nevermind, you wouldn't understand anyhow

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I have owned both 338 06 and a 300 win mag. I would choose the 300 every day of the week over the former. For the smaller caliber it would come down to what I could find at what price. I'm good with 260s 6.5cm, 7mm08, 270. They will all perform for the work load described. I currently own a 260. It's a decent cartridge

Kotaman

WKR
1. 6.5 PRC
2. 300 Ultra Mag

I own about every combination listed on these 5 pages, if if I had to pick two, these are my choices. 99% of my hunts, I’m carrying one of these two.

With that said, I just ordered. Weatherby Back Country Ti in 6.5 Weatherby RPM! 🤭

1. 6.5 PRC
2. 300 Ultra Mag

I own about every combination listed on these 5 pages, if if I had to pick two, these are my choices. 99% of my hunts, I’m carrying one of these two.

With that said, I just ordered. Weatherby Back Country Ti in 6.5 Weatherby RPM! 🤭
Like myself, it appears that you are "chasing" that PERFECT matched set (I think you already had it but ain't this fun ….)