Top two mountain cartridges

I wonder what percentage of people actually run into the scenario where they either forget to bring the MOST important component to their hunt or somehow lose their ammo? I bet the % is EXTREMELY low.
Yes, I'd agree but ask that low % who had it happen what their feelings about the topic are and don't forget old MURPHY, he's still around … If I fly I take ammo in 2 different modes, I HAVE shipped one batch ahead a time or two as well - "STUFF" happens is my ONLY point, I personally LOVE wildcat cartridges - One I shoot a lot these days is 338/06 AI (try finding any 338/06 ammo anywhere …) but that said, IF I were deciding on 2 (that's TWO) rifles for everything forever I sure as heck would not choose 2 (TWO) wildcats - call me cautious

sneaky

"DADDY"
I wonder what percentage of people actually run into the scenario where they either forget to bring the MOST important component to their hunt or somehow lose their ammo? I bet the % is EXTREMELY low.
I know a LOT of guys who have done that, or their tags. The % is higher than you think because most guys won't admit they were that stupid.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
6.5 Creedmoor, Browning HC Speed
300 WSM, Browning Pro Tungsten

(See picture)

e452083eee8b7514a217671c082b3d3d.jpg

Spend your money on experience before you spend it on fancy gear.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing

When you consider the number of less experienced hunters who empty their box of ammo the first day or two of a hunt when they can’t hit a barn door, and then need to buy more, the % goes up....

LightFoot

WKR
When you consider the number of less experienced hunters who empty their box of ammo the first day or two of a hunt when they can’t hit a barn door, and then need to buy more, the % goes up....
Hahahahaha.... or those that "recheck zero" everyday.

Spend your money on experience before you spend it on fancy gear.

Shotshill

FNG
Wellllllll,,,, Im not saying I did a bonehead thing hunting once but I did forget the 44 mag ammo for
My model 1894 and brought some 357 ... ummmm
I ran into a black bear and a small buck.. The bear
Was at 13 steps ( measured afterwards) the buck was about 100 yds.... I was already miffed when I realized my rifle had no ammo.. but then I see the deer... bummmerrrrr but it does happen... I did however see a coyote a couple hrs later and shot it with the pistol.. ( apprx 60 yds) ... all said I could have driven into town and bought 44mag ammo but I only had the am to hunt... The bear and I shook hands and left each other alone.. :)

i have an Xbolt in 300 win and love it, so that’s what I would get for the big one. For deer I’d get either 6.5, or 270. I’m not familiar enough with 25-06 to recommend it. But honestly If you’re positive you won’t shoot elk at longer range I’d get a Xbolt pro in 308 and slap a vx6 or equivalent on it. Only problem is like posted earlier if a monster bull steps out at 550 I’d feel a lot better with a 300 in my hand.

tdot

WKR
should be easy to find factory if you lose or forget your ammo ...

I never understood that thinking. Every single sports trip I take has some sort of gear that is irreplaceable, that the trip is dependent on.

I'm reliant on my own ability to get myself into and out of the mountains. Why would I rely on a store to cover for my own failing to bring ammo. Where does it stop? I could also forget my rifle, boots, pack, etc..... oops, did I put gas in the truck???? I certainly wouldnt allow that to drive my decision making process. But YMMV.

kiddogy

WKR
Rokslide folks, I'm looking at buying two new rifles as a form of "retail therapy" and looking to discuss rifles as a bit of an escape.

My grandfather (87 years old) has only a few days left. His hunting stories of burly big woods whitetail bucks were what sparked my passion for hunting and wild places when I was a small boy. He'll be greatly missed.

I have tentative plans to hunt mountain goats in British Columbia this summer (all depends if my friend who can host me can get the time off work in mid August) and one of these days I will either get out west to hunt elk or finally draw an Ontario elk or moose tag as well. Long story short, I'd like to add two rifles to my safe with future "mountain hunting" in mind.

Criteria

1) I can't ever see myself shooting beyond 400 meters at an actual live animal in field conditions
2) The Browning X-Bolt is my preferred rifle platform so it would need to be chambered in that rifle
3) I can afford to have two distinct rifles so would like each focused on each niche

Rifle One) Deer/Mountain Goat/Sheep

Rifle Two) Elk/Moose

Thanks for "playing along" and for your input.
buy a .270 and you only need one for big game .it will kill any animal on this planet at 400 yrds , IF you are capable of putting the bullet in the money spot.

then take the money you saved and get yourself a nice varmint gun, fo yotes and such. .223 is my choice . mostly cause shells are cheap and plentiful . same goes for the .270 bullets.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
IF looking at a "one and done" cartridge because of somehow not having loading supplies and needing ammo the 7mm RM was and still is the most popular belted magnum cartridge for dies and ammo since around 1980 or so - no longer a fan of that one but fact is still fact

Not arguing that fact, but I'd still buy the 280 Ackley if I were to just have one rifle. Has a less recoil than a magnum but still plenty of power for hunting large game. More rifles are being chambered in it so ammo isn't as hard to come by like it used to. Plus I doubt it happens as most people think about loosing their ammo and ruining a hunt. I admit there can be a slight chance if dealing with airlines, but the majority of people will never have that issue.

Just my personal choice if going with a single rifle, but since I didn't & the OP doesn't plan too, it's why I voted for the 270 & 300wm.

Not arguing that fact, but I'd still buy the 280 Ackley if I were to just have one rifle. Has a less recoil than a magnum but still plenty of power for hunting large game. More rifles are being chambered in it so ammo isn't as hard to come by like it used to. Plus I doubt it happens as most people think about loosing their ammo and ruining a hunt. I admit there can be a slight chance if dealing with airlines, but the majority of people will never have that issue.

Just my personal choice if going with a single rifle, but since I didn't & the OP doesn't plan too, it's why I voted for the 270 & 300wm.
I was simply speaking to the "what if" common sensical part of this thread - I too chose the 280 AI over 7mm RM (which I had a very long history with) - my two primary rifles at this time are both AI's 338/06 & .280

I have a hard time straying away from my trusted 270 in favor of the 6.5's
You probably never heard of Rick Jaimeson, back "in the day" he was a PNW gunwriter, he INVENTED the WSM cartridge concept and said Winchester stole it, he sued and won undisclosed "MILLIONS" ("who would ask for BILLIONS when you could have MILLIONS ?") He had to not write for 20 years, time was up last year - My gunsmith has been HIS gunsmith for a long long time, anyway … he had a 270 WSM and 6.5 WSM built by our GS, identical rifles - He's old school and knows how to test and compare (still just one guy, I realize that) He summarized with "I love the 6.5 WSM for target shooting no question, I see the 270 WSM better for HUNTING" he had just completed two back to back AZ guided trips (Lord knows he can afford the best …)

OP
B
I settled on one rifle for now - a Kimber Montana in 280 Remington with a custom 24 inch barrel on it. Rifle has been used, but is still in outstanding condition. With a Leupold 3-9x on it and loaded up with cartridges it should be around 6.5 lbs.

I like the Montana so much I may buy another one and have it redone into a 338-06 or 35 Whelen as my second rifle.

Blaw

WKR
I like common calibers to be honest.

I have used the 270...and still really like it
I have been using the 308 for the longest amount of time....its boring but man you have a great choice in bullets
I recently picked up a 300wm....i like it a lot! but it does get expensive to shoot

I am actually now going to get a 243.....it should have no issue taking deer to 400yrds and its light recoil which is also nice....besides the 300wm is always there for moose or elk.

Everyone likes the hells canyon brownings, they look cool but I felt the forend of the stock was just as flimsy as any budget gun or even more so. pretty disappointed.

FLS

WKR
#1: .270 Shoots flat hits hard and you can find good ammo anywhere. In competent hands it’s adequate for 99% of what people hunt in NA. It’s been around forever and will continue to be long after the SAUM, PRC, RCM, etc, etc, foolishness has passed. I personally love a 25-06 and have killed a ton of game with mine, but 270 ammo is a little easier to find and you can shoot heavier bullets for larger game.
#2 .338 Win Mag. A big step up in performance over the . 30 mags and will handle anything the 270 won’t. Good ammo is available and recoil is tolerable. If I thought I might go to Africa someday, I’d change that to a .375.