Tophat arrow protector rings.

bobinmi

WKR
Just ordered a couple dozen of these things from Lancaster. They look to be basically a much shorter footer than what people have typically been using. I figure for 9 bucks a dozen vs $20 for 6 I'll give them a shot and update you gentleman accordingly. Anyone else ever mess with them?

Aren't they just nock end protectors? I don't think I'd use them in the front of the arrow if that's what you are considering.

Carbon Express use to have them in the back of all the maxima arrows, pretty certain they still do. I think they just lender to robin hood's instead of just busting arrows, the collar helped to align the point down the inside of the shaft.

I was going to order some earlier this week for outdoor arrows but just went with g-nock bushings instead.

Blackcow

WKR
I’ve used them a bit on both ends. I wish they made them a tad longer, but they absolutely work work just as well as the longer footer, and living in Az I know rocks. DCDFA4BA-DC40-4FF4-BF6B-77F202692E6A.jpegThe 2” insert probably helps.

OP
B

bobinmi

WKR
Aren't they just nock end protectors? I don't think I'd use them in the front of the arrow if that's what you are considering.

Carbon Express use to have them in the back of all the maxima arrows, pretty certain they still do. I think they just lender to robin hood's instead of just busting arrows, the collar helped to align the point down the inside of the shaft.

I was going to order some earlier this week for outdoor arrows but just went with g-nock bushings instead.
The ones that I ordered appear to have a lip on them and are used for either end of the arrow.

Warmsy

WKR
I used those, and put a review on 3 rivers archery, but for some reason it never uploaded. I tried hot melt and epoxy. They held up for about 6 shots into hard surfaces like lumber, trees, etc. They ended up mushrooming over the arrow. The arrows were undamaged, if I remember correctly. This is out of a 45# recurve and carbon arrows. Id say don't waste your time. I just bought some IW. Hope those work...

Blackcow

WKR
I don’t think 3 rivers sells the tophat protector rings, just their aluminum collars that look similar. I didn’t have luck with those either. But the actual tophats have been good. Rocks, hard burnt stumps, no problems. I’d like them long enough to reach half way down a hit insert, but with a brass insert or longer aluminum they’ve worked pretty good. They do have a lip the back of your fp or broadhead sits flush against. I epoxy them on, and hot melt the insert in.

Blackcow

WKR
Nah, I thought the same thing when I saw them, that 3 rivers just rebranded the top hats, but nope, they’re different.

OP
B

bobinmi

WKR
Been using them now for over a year and a half. No broken or mushroomed arrows yet and I stump shoot about once a month. I have not intentionally tried to test the durability but a few of those hardwood stumps were not as rotten as i thought. Never a good feeling when the arrow bounces back at you. I lost the nock when it flew off to the nether regions of time and space but everything else was solid. For reference I'm shooting a 58lb ILF bow with uukha selenga limbs. They're moving pretty good for a single string bow.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
I use them on BE Rampages and love them. Got pass throughs on two pigs and a blacktail this year. Arrows were like I never shot them.

Have not tried them. When I footed my cx heritage 250 I used a good ol aluminum shaft about 2 inches long like pictured above. I used them for pigs. Worked well.

Best of luck and let us know how they work out for you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
Been using them now for over a year and a half. No broken or mushroomed arrows yet and I stump shoot about once a month. I have not intentionally tried to test the durability but a few of those hardwood stumps were not as rotten as i thought. Never a good feeling when the arrow bounces back at you. I lost the nock when it flew off to the nether regions of time and space but everything else was solid. For reference I'm shooting a 58lb ILF bow with uukha selenga limbs. They're moving pretty good for a single string bow.
My question is how are you shooting 58lb Selenga’s?!

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
50lb selengas on a 17 inch riser cranked all the way down and drawn to 29.5. I've only weighed them at one shop, one time, so don't take it as gospel.
Awesome! I have a 26.5” draw and struggling to find limbs that get me to 50lbs which is why I asked.. im using the 42# sx80’s on a 19” riser and I’m getting 47lbs. I don’t want to shell out the money for the 55# altai’s though! I suppose I could go to my 17” satori but the WF19 is awesome.

OP
B

bobinmi

WKR
Awesome! I have a 26.5” draw and struggling to find limbs that get me to 50lbs which is why I asked.. im using the 42# sx80’s on a 19” riser and I’m getting 47lbs. I don’t want to shell out the money for the 55# altai’s though! I suppose I could go to my 17” satori but the WF19 is awesome.
I bet they'll end up real close to 50 on a 17in riser. If you're getting good arrow flight and have a well tuned setup I wouldn't F*** with it though to be honest. You'll kill anything in NA and most in Africa with your current setup.