Topo Maps

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
It depends upon what I'm looking for. If I don't need a terribly detailed topo I will often use the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps available at Amazon. If I need a more detailed USGS quad I will go to a local REI, map or mountaineering store. If you are looking for a quad
map outside your area you should be able to order it online.

For scouting I have also added a topo layer to Google Earth. I will post instructions for how to do this (for free) in the general discussion area later today.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The National Geographic TOPO! software is nice, and has continuous USGS Quads for each state.

Gaia GPS software for Ipad/Iphone has Quads for the whole country.

dotman

WKR
Paper topo all I use is nat geo, they are great. Waterproof, you can write on them and they will not tear up. Plus the detail is great.

Gman

WKR
I use a combo of resources. I usually start with a Trails Illustrated or similar map. I just like the big macro view of an area. I also like to mark it up while researching and scouting with a sharpie. I also have Terrain Navigator and the TOPO! softwawre. I tend to use TN more because I like the navigation grids and features but I think the TOPO! looks better. Once I know my specific area, I'll print this on the National Geograpic 8x11 paper so I can keep it in my pocket for quick reference with the larger map somewhere in my pack.

TJ

WKR
I use mytopo.com.

You can customize any map the way you want it. Lots of options there for those that want a paper map.

They have great service and are quick to ship.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I should clarify that I print quality 8X11 maps off the TOPO! software for the area I am going into. Then I use home laminating paper on them and through them in the pack.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I can't get it to work. I do as the video instructs, download the kmz file, open it to temporary files. GE shows it there, checked, but when I zoom in, no topos. I don't know what the issue is.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Look in the "places" section on the left of your Google Earth window. Is the box next to your topos checked?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Look in the "places" section on the left of your Google Earth window. Is the box next to your topos checked?

Yes it is checked.

On your directions, I guess this may be beyond me to do. I tried the image overlay procedure, but there is no "View Bound Scale" in the Refresh tab. Also, there is no "[O] Raster Graphics option in the WMS Server list.

I guess I may have to stay with Nat. Geo TOPO.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it is working now, and it is pretty cool.

rye_a, I actually didn't have to do the Image Overlay steps 1-12. I just redid the Video intstructions, and gave GE time to load the maps. This is going to be a nice tool.

sk1

WKR
yeah i also use that google earth overlay in addition to many other maps, it's really nice

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thankyou Wapiti Bob!! That's a fantastic bit of knowledge there and saves me time toggling back and forth between different programs and websites.

Are you a GIS guy? Here's my wish-list... Is there any way to save an area or a whole state of Google Earth data on my PC so I don't have to be online? That would be so nice to be able to get back to camp and pull up the area you were in or where you heard that big bull bugling!

Thanks again!

Coop

wapitibob

WKR
Well, I can't get it to work. I do as the video instructs, download the kmz file, open it to temporary files. GE shows it there, checked, but when I zoom in, no topos. I don't know what the issue is.

the server I download in the video is not a native GE server. Sometimes you need to zoom out into space, let the topo server load then zooom back in.

wapitibob

WKR
BitterRoot, rye_a is referencing a totally different topo overlay than I posted in the video link above. Two methods and different topos. Either should get you the info however.