Topo maps

Iis there any options to get USGS topo map detail on a gps? I started using ONX maps in my Garmin gps. I can’t stand that the entire national forest is green. There is no vegetation color relief, no way of knowing where the meadows are. I then tried my phone, this would be great if I had cell service. Without cell service I find that you can’t download enough high detail maps to cover a large area. So I then purchased Garmin 24k topo thinking 24k would get me the detail I am seeking. Wrong again. Do I need to go back to paper maps or is there an option I don’t know about. I want the state of Wyoming in USGS 24k topo quality on one chip. Thanks for your help.

Rokwiia

WKR
Another thumbs up for CalTopo. I have used it for many years and it is excellent. You can select the exact area you want and print it out. I also have it and Gaia on my phone.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Gaia GPS app on your smartphone. Download as many layers as you need or your phone can hold. Topo maps, satellite imagery, hybrids, slope angle shading, all kinds of stuff.

OP
S
Thanks for all your input. I have decided to try Garmin huntveiw . After talking to Garmin they claim hunt view has similar maps to USGS 24k maps that show vegetation as different colors. Plus I understand it has some sort of satellite imagery also. One chip covers the entire state. I have found that both my OnX and BaseMap apps on my phone suck for hunting large areas with out cell service. You simply cannot download high detailed maps for a big enough are. When I can download the entire state I will try the phone app again.

BCD

WKR
Please let us know how the huntview maps worked out. I love the On X for property boundaries but the TOPOS are almost worthless at least in WI as they severely lack detail.

question i have is:
How do you folks expect to see so much on such a small screen?
To me that is where maps can shine, but i am still old school for getting around the mountains.