TOPO - what's steep?

FlyGuy

WKR
Caltopo.com has a layer with slope angle shading. Dark, cool colors are bad news. (This is my favorite desktop scouting website, paired with google earth.)

Gaia, very good app also has this feature. Way easier than trying to calculate grade.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Felix40

WKR
2493B11F-7F67-41B0-B372-94E09B32DA99.jpeg
Dang, I need to re-evaluate hiking/climbing...80% is only 10 degree off straight up. I would never approach that kind of slope without ropes and lots of help. Going down at 80 degrees is essentially a controlled fall (? The controlled part if the ground isn’t solid) and would be a disaster for most without ropes and attachment points.

Its definitely doable and not super uncommon during sheep hunts. Its not something you want to do all the time but can be worth it in some instances, especially when retrieving an animal.

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
If you are covering 2000 ft in elevation over 500'....um....too steep. The closer the topo lines are the steeper. Many of those closely spaced topo lines indicate cliffs. Avoid closely spaced topo lines and find routes with more open space between topo lines. GE is fun to look at but is just an approximation visually. I've looked at slopes on GE and said......that is doable.....then gotten there in real life and realized I am stoooooped. Way too steep.

ChrisAU

WKR
View attachment 110207

Its definitely doable and not super uncommon during sheep hunts. Its not something you want to do all the time but can be worth it in some instances, especially when retrieving an animal.

Makes me think of this.

goat-dam-2.jpg

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Simple answer is look at your map key. It should state the elevation change of each line. Example each contour line represents 40 ft. When you start seeing lines closer and closer it gets steeper and steeper. The key should have the distance scale too measure the distance and count the lines. Example one inch=one mile there are 10 contour lines 40 ft per line, 400 feet gained in that mile.

njdoxie

WKR
View attachment 110207

I definitely have limitations and that is significantly beyond them. You should have that spot to yourself.

I have a friend that would be right there with you, I’ve followed him into a couple spots that had me on pins and needles, untilI I finally bailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk