Topsail NC Fishing

A family member that had a week long vacation to Topsail just got COVID and won't be able to take it. She can't get her money back so me the wife and kids get to take a free week long vacation starting this weekend! My question to you fine folks is what are the good fishing opportunities in Topsail this time of year? Any charters y'all recommend?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reds will be chewing! South end of topsail/Lee Island is always good this time of year. If you don't mind a boat ride.....the trout fishing on the New River should be starting to heat up. I don't have a guide in mind but you could contact East Coast Discount on Topsail.....they should be able to hook you up.

def90

WKR
Get a charter out to the gulf stream and you will likely get in to some mahi mahi. My dad lives in Wilmington and we go out for them every time I get down there. Hard to find a funner and better eating fish to catch.

OP
ShortMountain91
Get a charter out to the gulf stream and you will likely get in to some mahi mahi. My dad lives in Wilmington and we go out for them every time I get down there. Hard to find a funner and better eating fish to catch.
This is what I had in mind. I normally visit the gulf for vacation but know the mahi mahi fishing is better on the atlantic side. I thought it might be a little late for them. Have you fished them in October?

A charter out of Morehead City or Atlantic Beach is a lot shorter ride to the Gulf Stream; larger charter fleet as well. It will take you an hour by car from Topsail to Morehead but you will fish longer. The Wahoo should be chewing there will be some Dolphin (Mahi) also.

Inshore charter- breadman ventures is the way to go. Allan is a great guy. If he's booked, ask who he'd recommend. They network with other guides all the time.

Offshore- take your pick, but don't be scared to drive up to Morehead City for the trip. Much more options for charters up there.

Just on your own- check out Seaview pier on the north end. I spent many many days fishing there. This time of year drum and trout should be pretty good. Fish just about any public access with jigs and gulp shrimp and you'll stand a good chance at some fish. Go into East Coast Sports and have them set you up. They'll probably get you some info too.

Good luck, lived there from 2011 to 2015. Miss the area a lot. Great fishing and great people. The restaurant at Seaview pier had some pretty good food. Daddy Macs in surf city as well.

def90

WKR
If you are in Topsail Beach, Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach/Carolina Beach are a hell of a lot closer for a Charter than Moorhead or Atlantic Beach.. There should be plenty of Charters in Topsail anyway.

mick2394

FNG
i fished all the time down there when i was stationed at Lejeune, reds were always the main thing to fish for around this time. Seaview pier was always a great place to fish and great food. Not sure if they're open because of the rona but you could look into it. Shouldn't have any problems getting the kids on fish all day long with hi-lo rigs and shrimp as bait. surf fishing should be just as good

OP
ShortMountain91
Well fellas figured I'd update this thread. I'm right on the beach so ended up just buying a rod and reel. Figured I could use it for cats back home. Have caught and few different things. A pompano, flounder, croaker, black drum, something I don't know what it was (looked sort of like a sea trout but no spots and more of a forked tail?), and this evening caught my first redfish. Blew up the cheap reel that I got and I had to drag him all the way in. Ton of fun catching him. Got the reel fixed, now gotta get him cleaned up and in the fridge!
daa04a98fbaddc0abdee45d66b361927.jpg
37e00893cc82c6158c672904e221c8d6.jpg

Nice red. Your spotless trout with a forked tail sounds like a lady fish. Great cut bait if you get another one.

OP
ShortMountain91
Nice red. Your spotless trout with a forked tail sounds like a lady fish. Great cut bait if you get another one.
That's probably what it was. I've caught lady fish before and thought they were more slender but maybe this was just a fat one!