Tossing $ to the wind in Colo!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It went well, except for a leg injury that pretty much ended my season. I could barely walk with just a couple days left in the season so settled on a younger 3/4's ram. If I hadn't taken him, it might of been tag soup.

WKR
Understanding how the draw system works in CO, I'd not buy more points. Drew a sheep tag this year and after this one, I'll be older than I want to be for any future chances so tapping out. The draw results are published and its evident that anyone from 3 + 1 to max points can draw.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Understanding how the draw system works in CO, I'd not buy more points. Drew a sheep tag this year and after this one, I'll be older than I want to be for any future chances so tapping out. The draw results are published and its evident that anyone from 3 + 1 to max points can draw.
It’s the difference between buying 1 lottery ticket and 100. Your chances are better, you can’t argue that. The only thing you can argue is if it’s worth the 50/100 per year for the incremental amount.

Bighorner

WKR
I would be stoked to have a 2.5% chance of drawing a sheep tag as a resident in wyoming.

You'll never win if your don't play.

WKR
I've drawn twice. 3 +6 and 3 +9. See a lot with fewer draw and a lot with more that don't. I had quit buying more once they started charging for them. But hey, worse things to spend money on for sure.

My son's best friend drew a sheep tag with 1 in 80 draw odds. Realistically a guy should expect to never in his life draw it. But like the lottery, someone has to.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I've drawn twice. 3 +6 and 3 +9. See a lot with fewer draw and a lot with more that don't. I had quit buying more once they started charging for them. But hey, worse things to spend money on for sure.

My son's best friend drew a sheep tag with 1 in 80 draw odds. Realistically a guy should expect to never in his life draw it. But like the lottery, someone has to.
I think it’s ridiculous that sheep aren’t once in a lifetime.

WKR
Bull moose are. Surprised sheep aren't as well. Same with goats. Used to be back in the 80s, guys were drawing archery tags with less than 3 points for rams. My how times have changed.

It’s the difference between buying 1 lottery ticket and 100. Your chances are better, you can’t argue that. The only thing you can argue is if it’s worth the 50/100 per year for the incremental amount.
FYI That’s not how Colorado works.

I still buy the point as I feel when they do decide to change the system, I’ll be at max just in case they start giving real preferences to max holders in some form.

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
With the current system it really isn't worth buying additional pref pts for extremely high demand species like sheep, goat, in moose. The CPW really screwed up by not requiring hunters to pay up front for these licenses. Maybe the CPW will wake up that a lot of hunters have dropped out of purchasing pref pts but are still applying for tags.

If the CPW switches from pref pts to a bonus pt system similar to Nevada they will likely pick up greater bonus pt revenue because suddenly each additional bonus pt actually means something! As every hunter knows, its always possible for states (Wyo sheep as a prime example) to switch things up that can possibly screw those that have paid application and license fees for years and years. With the example of switching to a bonus pt system will actually help those that have applied for more years.....you never know when things may change!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That was a cost of doing business. Charge a larger application fee for every species to pay for that refund process. But at this point, I'm not even sure that bringing back fronting the money would help. Just too many people trying to get a limited number of tags.

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
Maybe have the same company that runs Utah and Nevada run the Colo draw? They charge a set fee and its quick and easy for both applicants and the state. I’d much rather pay a fee than have a system like colos where applicants don’t have to upfront the money. This has caused an explosion of applicants that leads to truly outrageous point leaping.

The system needs to be fix in CO. Point creep is real. You have a better chance to draw as a non resident.
The big 3 do not experience point creep, quite the opposite as a matter of fact. The big 3 draw is about as fair as it gets in Colorado.

They should make the big elk, deer, and antelope hunts in the state follow a similar process. Otherwise point creep will continue and at some point it'll be a bunch of 90yo folks hunting 61 4th season deer and early rifle NW corner elk.

Maybe CO should follow the Idaho logic. Straight lottery, choose one of the big 3 or apply for deer, elk, and antelope. Figure out real quick who wants in on the sheep, goat, moose game.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

ckleeves

WKR
Maybe CO should follow the Idaho logic. Straight lottery, choose one of the big 3 or apply for deer, elk, and antelope. Figure out real quick who wants in on the sheep, goat, moose game.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
X2. Help point creep on the true preference species and improve odds for the guys that really want the big 3. Make sheep and goat (if successful) OIL like moose also.