Tough CO opener

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Hunter the first 9 days of the season in Colorado.
One of the most frustrating hunts we have had.

Little back ground information. My hunting partner and I go every year and try a different unit every season. We like the adventuring as much as the hunting.

We arrived in CO Tuesday and hiked into our spot. Absolutely brutal hike in the 95+ degree temps. When we got to elevation we were pleasantly surprised by a ton of fresh elk sign. Best we have ever seen.

Tuesday nights heard a few bugles and were really excited for the morning.

Long story short we spent the next 9 days in the elk and never could get a shot. Saturday was the only day we didn’t see a bull. They were absolutely completely non responsive. I don’t think they moved out of the dark timber at any point during daylight.

We were basically reduced to trying to sneak up on them in the timber for a shot before they take off. We tried hunting trails, water, wallows you name they just were not moving out of their beds during daylight

We have had way worse hunts but non as frustrating.

Have you ran into that before?

What was your strategy in those situations?

Teedubb

FNG
I had the same experience last week. The elk were quiet and it was hot even at 10000 feet. I tried the same thing as you, sneaking up into where they were bedded. Of course I was caught and didn’t really have a chance for a shot in that thick timber. Gonna try again next week and see if they’re more active from the cold weather.

Gerbdog

WKR
Was my experience also, they never left the deep timber at all but I just attributed that to not needing to... plenty of food, water, cover right there where they sleep.... I know people don't put a lot of stock in the moon phase either but.... sure was bright out at night, I figured they did anything and everything they wanted to do at night since there was a surplus of light.

Wapiti1

WKR
Get fairly close, sit down in a good shooting spot and occasionally bugle a locator bugle. A local bull will be along to see who I am. It will be silent, but they will come over. It might take 10 minutes, or 3 hours. No other calls. Just be a new bull in that old bulls territory and give him something to check out.

Jeremy

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
If I have determined they arnt leaving cover they are in......then I have 2 options. Wait and hope for a chance, or hunt as slow as possible with the wind in my face into the timber. This is for Pine/Evergreen Timber....usually there is very little to step on and make noise in these tress. If your in Aspens thick timber....glass and move on the edges in hopes for a shot.

I think to myself I came to hunt, and if they aint coming at me, Im going at them.

OP
Scooter90254

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Get fairly close, sit down in a good shooting spot and occasionally bugle a locator bugle. A local bull will be along to see who I am. It will be silent, but they will come over. It might take 10 minutes, or 3 hours. No other calls. Just be a new bull in that old bulls territory and give him something to check out.

Jeremy

I did call in a spike and a raghorn one day doing just that. In hindsight which is always 20/20 the one thing I wish we would have done more of is the long play calling. I have a hard time sitting still like that though. But you're probably right.

Wapiti1

WKR
It's tough to do. Like sitting water for hours and hours sweating and seeing only birds. But it does work. It's also very low pressure so you stand little chance of blowing out the area.

Good luck. It's all about trying different things, and learning. Have fun.

Jeremy