tough hunt

Rcol317

FNG
Classified Approved
Great story with nice photos. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on a great do it yourself hard hunt. great read. Nice Muley for sure

ozzyshane

FNG
Thanks for posting i dont read a lot of posts justa picture looker but you had me read the hole story thanks for taking the time to post ....

Erict

WKR
The hunt may not have been as memorable if you didn't have to overcome obstacles like the air mattress and water. Congrats on a nice buck, good story and taking the time to snap some nice pictures.

We would still like to see the obiligatory "selfie" shot with you and the buck, if you took one.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys!

The hunt may not have been as memorable if you didn't have to overcome obstacles like the air mattress and water. Congrats on a nice buck, good story and taking the time to snap some nice pictures.

We would still like to see the obiligatory "selfie" shot with you and the buck, if you took one.

This is probably true!

I should have taken the time to get a couple of photos posing with the deer. The reality of how much work I had ahead of me pushed me into "get to work" mode :D

TheGDog

WKR
Man... gotta say it's so cool to see the pics from you guys that live near to the more primo outdoor terrain, those rolling kind of mountains. That aren't all covered in chaparral/buckthorn. Though sounds like your areas of blowdown are no fun.

Excellent write up man. Thanks for sharing!

rclouse79

WKR
Most people who go novel style lose my interest, but I found your write up enjoyable. The conundrum of one heavy trip or two lighter trips was relatable. I chose the one heavy trip with a smaller deer and shorter hike out and was still second guessing myself to the end. When you are stopping to rest within a quarter mile of the rig you probably bit off more than you can chew. Congrats on a great deer and adventure.

TheGDog

WKR
When you are stopping to rest within a quarter mile of the rig you probably bit off more than you can chew. Congrats on a great deer and adventure.
Whoo do I know EXACTLY what you're talkin' 'bout there man! My #2 deer... was so jazzed because he was a degree bigger than my 1st. I'd guess somewhere 'tween 180-200Lbs area thereabouts. But whoo boy! It was already like 90F at 8:30a that day too when he went down. And you know how like when the single track trail line is very over-grown and how all that armpit height chaparral brush holds-in like 10-15 degree more heat nearer to the ground, so you're experiencing it all as that even higher temp too!

Same deal... the last... meh maybe 40yds left of the last incline uphill to the trailhead parking area... I had next to nothin' left in the tank after those 6miles and the creek crossing over the rocks, there's a large enough rock there so had to sit down and drop the pack and let the heat get out again for the 6 or 7th time on the trip.

But ooh you get soo excited when you make that turn and can lay eyes on your vehicle! For me my only thought is opening the tailgate and turning around and dropping the pack as soon as possible! Then the whole taking in deep breaths now that you actually can, HaHA!