Tough lightweight trekking poles

Anyone have recommendations for tough aluminum, lightweight trekking poles? Tired of carbon ones shattering

thanks guys

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No clue on the weight but after busting some myself I grabbed some flip lok leki ones that have been decent so far for a season, I just fell on one this last weekend and bent a shaft a bit but was able to straighten it. They're a bit stronger than the cheaper aluminum cascade ones (I have some of those for the kids and have bent those also).

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of MSR Swift 3s that have proven to be pretty durable so far. I've planted and torqued them pretty good in a few boulder fields without any noticeable bending. I don't believe that they are still in production, but you may be able to find a pair on ebay.

motts

Lil-Rokslider
Both the wife and I have been happily using models from Black Diamond over the last couple of years. I've gotten them wedged into some pretty bad spots while not paying as much attention as I shoud have, but haven't managaed to bend them yet.

Selway

FNG
Z-poles all the way. By design there's less to go wrong on them, and significantly lighter than adjustable options.

Trigger06

FNG
Check out the sissy stix... Top sections are carbon, but the bottom is aluminum. Best of both worlds

Wrench

WKR
I'm still using my twist lock komperdell thermogrip poles from 20 years ago. They are 2 ounces heavier than my carbon ones....but they can't be killed.

Ever.

I tightened them up to where they went slip with my big ass on them and the just take it like good mule.

Beendare

WKR
I have some Black diamond Cam locks that I've had for over a decade...good poles....just did a 5 hour hike with them last weekend.

Werner

FNG
I just got a pair of mountain smith tellurite 7075 ols - I can't speak on the long term durability but am happy with them thus far

Decker9

WKR
After busting 2 sets of the Black diamond flz’s (the last one 30km from my truck, solo with a ram in my bag) I picked up the alpine carbon corks from warranty. They are carbon, but have proven to be tough units the past couple years.

if you plan to use poles for tarp set up,do not go with the flz, I had to fight with black diamond to get them warrantied, “because their not intended for use with tarps”.
5338DF1A-D416-4CAA-893B-15FDF93FC640.jpeg

I’m normally all for buy once cry once, but I haven’t had the opportunity to spend the big bucks in terms of trekking poles, because I was given a set of Mountainsmith pinnacles. I have not been able to make them die, they have been bent, bent back, and drug through hell and they just keep kicking. At $25 a pair, hard to argue with the price. They’re pretty bare bones feature wise and I’m not sure how much they weigh, but they’ve worked well.

my dad has a pair of leki makalu lite and they are very tough and very light

MattB

WKR
Z-poles all the way. By design there's less to go wrong on them, and significantly lighter than adjustable options.

How do those react to getting wedged in between rocks when you need to pull upward on the grip to dislodge the tip?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lets see- I have a pair of BD carbon z poles, these are strictly reserved for on trail backpacking and running, would not trust them off trail, but they are uber light and pack down easily

I purchased a pair of their Distance aluminum FLZ poles for tougher use with off trail stuff in mind; I broke one on a tough stream ford at the most inopportune time- in the middle of an adventure race.

I then opted to purchase their Alpine FLZ poles as these were tougher and "4 season" worthy. I just broke one of those Friday in the middle of 3 day snowshoe outing- another inopportune time :(

Both poles broke in the exact same location- right at the spot where the pole locks all three pieces. This is obviously a weak point and what makes it even worse, it's impossible to field repair one in that location.

I'll be visiting with Black Diamond to see what pole would be my best option; I can cross their entire lineup FLZ poles off that list.

I'll post up what they think would be best suited for off trail and winter travel.

sargent

WKR
I've been using Leki Corklites for about four years. I bent one and called them and they sent me a new set. They are pretty tough and pretty light (~10 ounces per pole) overall.

Selway

FNG
How do those react to getting wedged in between rocks when you need to pull upward on the grip to dislodge the tip?

When you pull them out to full length there's a peg lock that locks them to one piece. I've never had it fail.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lets see- I have a pair of BD carbon z poles, these are strictly reserved for on trail backpacking and running, would not trust them off trail, but they are uber light and pack down easily

I purchased a pair of their Distance aluminum FLZ poles for tougher use with off trail stuff in mind; I broke one on a tough stream ford at the most inopportune time- in the middle of an adventure race.

I then opted to purchase their Alpine FLZ poles as these were tougher and "4 season" worthy. I just broke one of those Friday in the middle of 3 day snowshoe outing- another inopportune time :(

Both poles broke in the exact same location- right at the spot where the pole locks all three pieces. This is obviously a weak point and what makes it even worse, it's impossible to field repair one in that location.

I'll be visiting with Black Diamond to see what pole would be my best option; I can cross their entire lineup FLZ poles off that list.

I'll post up what they think would be best suited for off trail and winter travel.

BD only warranties their poles for a year (mine were a year and a month :(). anyways I went with their two piece Traverse ski pole- weight wise they are under an ounce heavier than the Alpine FLZ, I lose the ability to fold them into threes, but have the piece of mind they are much less likely to break

here is where my FLZ broke- right at the lock spot, this is exactly where the previous pair broke as well

CoJrPT1.jpg

this is my "fix"- no longer take apart, but should hold up- heading out another snowshoe trip tomorrow and the new poles won't be here for another couple of days

CoJrPT1.jpg

tdot

WKR
What are people doing to shatter their carbon poles??

I've had carbon poles from 3 different manufacturers and they all have hundreds of days use, resort skiing, backcountry skiing and hiking. Zero failures within the carbon. (I've had tensioner failures)

Everyone of my Aluminum poles has bent and broken at some point.

All of my carbon poles are close to 10 years old. Have I just been getting lucky, or I wonder if they are simply thicker.

Jimss

WKR
I've used and abused my Leki poles for years with 0 problems. Still hold tight at the connections and not broken! I noticed they go for around $60 at Sierra Trading. They are a life-saver on sheep and goat hunts!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
well Black Diamond came through on the warranty :) I think the fact that I had two failures relatively close helped in extending the warranty a bit

they let me pick any poles, as already purchased a pair of two piece Flicklock aluminum ski poles, I went with Alpine carbon corks- more robust carbon than their uber light carbon poles and they use Fliclock for adjustment