Tough Mudder- Beaver Creek, CO

tangsrud

FNG
In the previous topic from David a couple people mentioned they were possibly doing the Tough Mudder event in Beaver Creek the 8th and 9th...
I have not signed up yet as I am still trying to figure out what other commitments I have this summer. Most likley I will sign up as I have a lot of co-workers participating and wanting to make it a team building event.
Anyways, who here has signed up for the Tough Mudder? Any recommendations for a first timer?

-Adam

D

david long

I haven't signed up for it, but it sure sounds like a fun event!

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
For our TM Wisconsin I did a lot of arm training. Things like just dead weight hanging, pushups/pullups, etc. We have about 10 miles to run, that is probably the hardest...its not the distance its all the running in wet socks, shoes, mud, etc. Got our next one coming up in 2 months.

diggerson

Lil-Rokslider
tangsrud, I am signed up for Saturday the 9th, first timer too. We have a small team forming from the No Colo area.

Foldem

WKR
First time for me. I'm the only flatlander going with two CO friends. Diggerson I noticed Saturday is getting pretty full. Is there an advantage to going Saturday besides having Sunday to recoup before work?

diggerson

Lil-Rokslider
Kevin, yeah, a recoup day before work is good. Also, you can relax and celebrate a little Saturday night, sleep in a little Sunday morning, then roll down I 70 at a decent time and beat traffic. Summer traffic on I 70 rivals ski traffic in the winter.

OP
T

tangsrud

FNG
Well I am pleased to see that other people are registered for the event too!

Les welch - Yeah, I wasnt concerned about the run until you commented about running in wet shoes... I didnt think of that!
diggerson & Kevin Clerkin- I'll keep you posted on what day i get signed up for, I think my coworkers are signed up for the same time.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The one in 2011 in CA was ridiculous. 10k plus people a day. 8-10 hours to finish. Hoy couldn't run at all on the single track and some of the obstacles took an hour of waiting to do them. I understand it is a business, but it was way oversold.

diggerson

Lil-Rokslider
"The one in 2011 in CA was ridiculous. 10k plus people a day. 8-10 hours to finish. Hoy couldn't run at all on the single track and some of the obstacles took an hour of waiting to do them. I understand it is a business, but it was way oversold."

Oversold, maybe. That's why you gotta sign up early for an early wave, and stay out ahead of most!

OP
T

tangsrud

FNG
Im keeping after it. Not too concerned about the run portion as much as the obstacles. I have been doing a lot of kettle bell workouts which I believe have been improving my strength. I am getting in two runs a week, nothing great but the endurance running isnt my biggest worry.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I got a buddy from North Dakota to sign up to run this with me. I am fairly confident about the running part (for me), but how much and what type of strength training are you all doing? Also, what would you recommend for someone coming from a lower elevation (not sea level, but not a mile high either)? I told my buddy to try doing some interval training to try to help with the altitude. There isn't many hills in Fargo either.

OP
T

tangsrud

FNG
Alright, I finally registered for the race today! One thing I couldnt believe is that the race costs $175.00 and then they want you to pay an additional $20.00 for my wife to come watch!?!?! I have done many triathlons (Sprints to 70.3's) and never experienced them charging for people who watch. Am I missing something here, is there really a way for them to control the spectators and make them pay?

Owens, have your buddy get out early if possible and acclimate to the conditions along with drinking plenty of water.

diggerson

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, the price is steep, up from last year. This will be my first TM, but maybe my last. I'm pumped to be doing it, but if the price continues to go up, I may find other challenges to spend my money on. Guess it is supply and demand at it's finest. Last year, Sundays were cheaper. Apparently they haven't had any trouble filling Sundays now, 'cause the discount for Sunday is no longer there. I registered before the last price increase to avoid the higher fee, but this is deceiving. After they stick you with required insurance and a processing fee, plus I gave an extra $20 to WWP, it ended up being $150. Then, when I formed our team and transferred my registration to my team, I got stuck for another $32.50. Same-day transfers aren't supposed to be charged, but my understanding is that I did the transfer after the scheduled fee increase, therefore charged the extra $30. Spectators used to get in for a "suggested donation" of $15 or $20. Not so anymore. I'm just glad kids are still free, 'cause my 3 kids will be there cheering me on. Add to all of this the cost of lodging and food for a night or two in a resort town, and you have yourself a pretty pricey little weekend. Whew! I feel like I just cleared the first obstacle...

diggerson

Lil-Rokslider
60 Days 'til TM Colorado! Any new Roksliders coming out of the woodwork for this? If interested, sign up soon, it is selling out and entry fee increases again at the end of the month.

For those already signed up, how's your training going?

Foldem

WKR
diggerson, I dropped it from my schedule. I decided to use the time and money for another high country scouting trip or to attend one of the Rokslide events depending on timing. I would like to do the TM someday but when I really looked at the cost and the time commitment it wasn't worth it to me to travel from OK. I have been training just like I'm going to do it though, which has been great!

I will not be in town. So going to have to do the warrior dash race the middle of august. It's only 3 miles and $80.

Last edited:

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
Signed up. Also doing Spartan Race May 5th and did warrior dash last year with a hangover but should have an antelope tag instead this year.