Tough pack choice Eberlestock j107M or mystry ranch CC

I am looking picking up a new pack that will be pulling serious multipurpose duties. For the most part I will using either pack in daypack for but want the ability to expand the pack to haul out boned out deer. I do some scouting for high buck hunting (1-3) and then will be doing a four day 3 night high buck hunt. Things I like about the eberlestock is the built in scabbord, expandable when needed, price. I have been able to try one out with 55 lbs in it and it felt ok. The other thing I like is the ability to take out the superspike duffel and zip it on to the pack and use the big pocket to put meat in so that I can come out with meat and equipment in one trip. The mystry ranch I have heard carry weigh much better but am unable to get hands on one. I think with the load cells and daypack lid may be able to take out all equipment and bonned out meat in one trip but am unsure. The other thing is I have to have a scabbord for the rifle,I think I could pick up an eberlestock side scabbord and attach it to the mystry ranch with no trouble though (?). By the time both are equipt fully either with spike duffel or the other with scabbord/load cell, etc they will weigh about the same. Im hoping for feedback on both thank you. Other equipment is Looking at getting a tarptent rainshadow 2 #1 choice or the tarptent scarp 2, jetboil cooking system, not sure on bag yet something 15-20 degree temp rating.

Last edited:

MattEastman

Lil-Rokslider
Well I can tell you this, the Mystery Ranch Crewcab is the best pack I have ever used. It can be used as a daypack, pack frame, and multi day pack all in one. I used mine for the first time last season and was very happy with it. I bought three Load Cells and the Daylid to go along with it. With those added, it is a pretty sweet multiday set up. I packed in several times this past fall and when I set up my one man tent, the load cells were unloaded and left back with my tent and I was able to hunt from camp with basically a day pack instead of carrying around a big bulky 5000 cu pack like I did for many years in the past.

And when it comes time to pack some meat; well, the Crewcab is a meat haulin Cadillac!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A lot of you answer depends on you build (torso length). The CC can handle any amount of weight, but if you have a torso over 18 inches, all of the weight will be carried on your shoulders.

The Eberlestock is much the same and if you zip in the spike duffel, you will almost flip over backwards with heavy weight.

OP
pyroducksx3
Well Im 6'2 190 lbs Not sure of exact torso length but Im guessing its long. Are my expectations realitic, for these or any other pack?

Last edited:

cmeier117

WKR
Well Im 6'2 190 lbs Not sure of exact torso length but Im guessing its long. Are my expectations realitic, for these or any other pack?

Your best friend imo will be functional load lifters... I don't think you would have that with either of those packs. I hate having weight on my shoulders. I hate it with a passion.

Load lifters are the things on a pack that lifts the weight from your shoulders and transfers it to your hips. They make carrying a super heavy pack 10000% easier.

pyroducksx3,

What you need to do is to first find out how long your torso is. Measure the distance from the top of your pelvis, which is normally the same level as your bellybutton, to the vertibrae at top of your neck when you bend your head down. You can see how to do this here:

Then you need to find a pack that will fit your torso length. As cmeier mentioned when using a pack to haul any kind of weight you will need to have loadlifters that will work. If the pack frame does not extend up past your shoulders then they cannot work; they pull the shoulder straps up off of your shoulders a little bit so that the majority of the weight in the pack rests on the waist belt. To get the right sized pack you either need to find a brand that has different sizes OR a pack frame that is adjustable or your size or longer. As mentioned above the MR frame is not adjustable and although it will fit lots of folks it also does not fit a lot of other folks. Some pack frames that are adjustable of the top of my head are the ICON made by KUIU and those made by Kifaru which has adjustments and also different length stays for even more versability.

Hope this helps. Aron is the master at all of this and hopefully he can come in with a better explanation than my ramblings.

Larry

OP
pyroducksx3
From what I can find in my short search is that the packs that have the load lifter straps are a more designated pack for heavier hauling and not the more multipurpose use Im looking for. If there is a pack let me know. I think the pack will be used 85% of the time as a daypack with the ability to open up so I think I would prefer to go with the versitility. I was looking at the kirafu but they appeared to be more of a dedicated hiking pack vs the ability to haul heavy weight but a functional day pack.

OP
pyroducksx3
Looks like torso length is right at 20" give or take 1/2" as I "think" Im doing it right. Watched the REI video on how to do it.

OP
pyroducksx3
So Torso length is right about 20". Im looking for a pack that can do a little of everything. Mostly days hunts but no more than 5 days. Highly prefered to have the ability to take meat and equipment out in one trip. Have to have the ability to attach a scabbord or have one built in and must be able to function as a daypack/meathauler. Im not an ounch counter but prefer to be as light as possible, dont mind roughing it or going with out to make the pack lighter. I use a minox 15-30 straight spotter and use a slick tripod that has a quick change head with shooting platform to double as shhoting sticks. I am most likely going with a tarptent rainshadow 2 for tent, already have a jetboil, using the piranta havalon knife and buck vangaurd for my only knives. Getting some of the lightweight synthetic game bags and carring minimal food just what I need and not really many luxuries. also taking with me my kahles binos. I looked at the kuiu iconm and am not quite sure about it yet, will have to look at it closer

OP
pyroducksx3
Im am really interested in the mystery ranch cc but with am a little concerned about the torso length now. Also Is the mystry ranch capable of some of the thins I mentioned. And finially is it sinificantly better than the eberlstock j107M? because it is signmificantly more expensive.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you're heart is set on a CC, than I would get a used one, try it out and if you don't like it....sell it. They have a great resale value and you shouldn't loose any $.

I'm only guessing, but I bet if you get something else, you will probably be thinking "would the CC be better"?

At your torso length the CC will be putting all the weight on your shoulders... I promise.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I used the Mystery Ranch NICE frame with the loadsling, which is essentially the same as the crewcab minus the tiny 1900 cu in pack, to pack a caribou out 12 miles.....never again!!! I'm 5'9 160 pounds and it simply was not possibly to have the weight sucked in close to my body and on my waist at the same time. Either I'd loosen the should straps so much it'd start riding on my waist more, but this would mean it was so far back it would sway seriously and pull me backward. Or you could just suck it in tight and have it not sway or anything but a 100 pound on your shoulders for 12 miles isn't exactly my ideal way to spend a day packing.

I think there are better options given your parameters. Honestly I'd much rather opt for the $250-$300 REI XT 85 that is right around 5 pounds than the 7.75 pound crew cab that is more than twice the cost and carries weight not nearly as good either. If you are set on a smaller daypack style with the option for 3-4 day venture, the Eberlestock X2 would be my pick for the $200 "hunting pack". Just something to think about....