Tough Scope options. SHV? ATACR? LRHS? Veracity?

OP
Cactus kid
I believe that’s the best medium to long range scope made. What reticle?

Glad to hear! I think 16x is plenty of magnification.
Mil-R, illuminated. The horus series reticles seem a little too complicated for my monkey brain. I have used almost all MOA reticles till this one, so I hope the switch goes over well.

nrh6.7

WKR
4-16x42 is the model I went with.
I believe that’s the best medium to long range scope made.

@Formidilosus and anyone else in the know. One year later, do you still feel the same about this statement? I am looking at this scope and am also considering the MK5 & T5Xi/M5Xi. Would any of these be a better option for reliable tracking and rtz and overall quality? Don't really hear much about Steiner on this forum.

OP
Cactus kid
@Formidilosus and anyone else in the know. One year later, do you still feel the same about this statement? I am looking at this scope and am also considering the MK5 & T5Xi/M5Xi. Would any of these be a better option for reliable tracking and rtz and overall quality? Don't really hear much about Steiner on this forum.

I stand buy it more so now more than then. My rifle scope took a fall from 7 feet onto a rock, landing on the scope its self. The fall was so significant it broke the stock, splitting it into two pieces. After I epoxied the stock back together, took it back to the range and the gun was still on. Sold on these scopes.

Well here's the update. We drove 6 hours one way to meet up with formidilosus to test the SHV. He was a man of his word. He showed up on time, with a naked rifle, and all the free ammo you could shake a stick at. He bore sighted the rifle with the SHV, and proceeded to put a 1 inch 10 shot group just left of the bull at 100 yards. The rain chased us back to our vehicles for 30 minutes. He dialed the scope after the rain, and put 10 more in the center of the target. He then let us shoot the rifle. My buddy put a great group together. Long story short......... we suck. My apologies to everyone, and Nightforce. The scope did what it was supposed to do. Formidilosus was absolutely a stand up guy, and KNOWS his sh!t. It was a long drive for a short shooting session, but totally worth it. His girlfriend then proceeded to kick our ass at the 1000 yard target he setup, with a Howa 223 and a 6 powered fixed scope. Great people to meet, and great trip. Again my apologies for any bad said about Nightforce products. He showed me some nightforce products that made me a believer. My next scope will be nightforce. Plus you can absolutely take anything formidilosus says straight to the bank. Thanks again formidilosus for meeting up with us. We are glad to meet you and your lovely girlfriend. Thanks for taking time to meet with us jackasses, and show us a thing or two.
I was doing a little research on scopes and came upon this thread. That is really interesting. If you still hang out here, I'd be interested in knowing if your bud did any testing after the scope came back from NF and before it made it into Form's hands. I don't see how it could shoot well, then start shooting poorly on several rifles. Is it possible NF did something to it to fix the problem?

Good on Form for stepping up to help. I'd love to spend a day at the range with him.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well here's the update. We drove 6 hours one way to meet up with formidilosus to test the SHV. He was a man of his word. He showed up on time, with a naked rifle, and all the free ammo you could shake a stick at. He bore sighted the rifle with the SHV, and proceeded to put a 1 inch 10 shot group just left of the bull at 100 yards. The rain chased us back to our vehicles for 30 minutes. He dialed the scope after the rain, and put 10 more in the center of the target. He then let us shoot the rifle. My buddy put a great group together. Long story short......... we suck. My apologies to everyone, and Nightforce. The scope did what it was supposed to do. Formidilosus was absolutely a stand up guy, and KNOWS his sh!t. It was a long drive for a short shooting session, but totally worth it. His girlfriend then proceeded to kick our ass at the 1000 yard target he setup, with a Howa 223 and a 6 powered fixed scope. Great people to meet, and great trip. Again my apologies for any bad said about Nightforce products. He showed me some nightforce products that made me a believer. My next scope will be nightforce. Plus you can absolutely take anything formidilosus says straight to the bank. Thanks again formidilosus for meeting up with us. We are glad to meet you and your lovely girlfriend. Thanks for taking time to meet with us jackasses, and show us a thing or two.
This is an old thread, but very cool.

My own stupidity and ignorance has made me question gear before. User error is such a common issue. Good on Form to help a guy out.