Toughest bow Sight

I am looking for a new bow sight. I want good fiber optics for lighting, but it needs to be tough for the back country. What are most guys using fo back packing hunts? I would like to stay under $125.

jmez

WKR
I use an Axcel HD. Love the site. I did break one pin and bend another last year on my hunt. I can't fault the toughness however based on how it happened. One of my tails on my shoulder strap from my pack got into the sight housing. There is a loop at the end that worked its way around my top two pins. I was going up a very, very steep incline to get above timberline and when I got to the top and tried to take my bow off, carrying with a sling, it wouldn't come off so I gave it a jerk. I then looked to see what it was caught on and noticed what had happened. I'm not sure if I broke the pin when I jerked it of if it broke as it was supporting the weight of my bow on the hike, either way I don't really fault the toughness of the site. The actual fiber didn't break so it held the broken pin in place and I just bent the other pin back where it belonged. Worked fine.

The year before I was stepped up onto a large deadfall and it was wet. I slipped and fell and the first thing to make contact was my sight on top of the log. It took my full weight in the fall. Didn't bend, break or move. POI was unchanged.

I had a Spot Hogg prior to that and broke pins on that sight crawling though sage brush spot and stalk hunting antelope. Never any other issues with the Hogg. No movement of the sight after many miles of using it as a crutch crawling.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also shoot an axcel now old sight was spot hog. I have had zero issues with my axcel love the adjustment and how it locks down

jmez

WKR
You should be able to find a used Hogg or Axcel for that money. IMO a used of sight of either brand would be better than a new cheaper sight.

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
Don't overlook HHA. They are pretty tough, very well built. They have a number of options in your price range especially if you are considering used.

I've used the Spot Hogg Real Deal for the last 2 seasons and while it is built solid, I'm not a fan of the sight. Mainly because of the lack of horizontal gang adjustment. It is locked all the way to the left and BARELY allows me to have my bow on sight from 20-80 yards. I'm shooting a Strother Infinity and in talking with the dealer I got my bow from, he said he ran into that problem a lot while setting up Strother bows. I'll be looking at a Sword sight this year likely...

Mike

Lawnboi

WKR
Best budget sight imo, MBG Rush w/ dovetail. Ran me 135 off S&S. Awsome site. Not as tough as a hogg but imo MBG is the next best thing.

MBG has the best pin brightness in the industry

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spot Hoggs are built like a tank. Not the lightest but strongest. My grand kids are going to inherit my Hogg father.

OR Archer

WKR
I've used the Spot Hogg Real Deal for the last 2 seasons and while it is built solid, I'm not a fan of the sight. Mainly because of the lack of horizontal gang adjustment. It is locked all the way to the left and BARELY allows me to have my bow on sight from 20-80 yards. I'm shooting a Strother Infinity and in talking with the dealer I got my bow from, he said he ran into that problem a lot while setting up Strother bows. I'll be looking at a Sword sight this year likely...

Mike

Its not a problem with the sight. Its the bow. That's a common problem with binary cam bows with a lot of cam lean. The rest runs so far out of center to get a good center shot you're forced to push the sight that far left to get sighted in.

OR Archer

WKR
Spot Hogg hands down is the toughest out there in my opinion. If a $125 is your budget you could probably find a Real Deal for under that used.

sk1

WKR
while im going to give spot hogg a try this year, I feel montana black gold sights are very solid. I used mine for two seasons and abused it pretty good, no issues for me at all. To stay close to your budget and still have a 3rd access adjustment with the dovetail, lawnboi has a pretty good idea

I have had both Hogg sights and Montana Black Gold. Just my opinion , I feel Hogg sights are way over priced. I feel the MBG is just as durable, easier to adjust the pins and a very bright sight. I hated the Hogg pin adjustment and felt the MBG dial is easier and more accurate.