Toughest Elk Arrow?

treillw

WKR
Just about ready to pull the trigger on some new arrows. What are some of the toughest ones out there? The Victory VAP SS has my attention. Surprisingly not too much out there about it.

I'll probably be going with a 250 spine, iron will head, elk hunting.

Does a collar system like ethics make do a lot to increase strength?

Thanks!

Ucsdryder

WKR
Heard great things about the vap tko arrows. I’m shooting gold tip kinetic 200s and they’re tough as nails. I put one into a cinder block by accident and it came out unscathed. I shot axis before that and they would break if they heard the word “cinderblock.”

My option a .204 thick walled shaft with a Hit insert and a collar is unbeatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
Those nexxus shafts look interesting and far cheaper then bishops. Curious to see how they are liked. Any body know if the four week shipping is somewhat close to correct ? Or are they like so many other places and it’s said 4 weeks for the last six months already. I have no durability issues with my gold tips, but the price don’t look to bad on those I would like to try some.

Brendan

WKR
Definitely not a fan of micro diameter arrows.

.204 Easton Axis, Brass HIT insert or Iron Will HIT insert, Iron Will impact collar gets my vote as the best all-around arrow I've shot. I've been shooting the same Axis grouse arrow into stumps, logs, and dirt for years. Don't think I've actually broken an arrow except trying to pry one out of a tree.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
Those nexxus shafts look interesting and far cheaper then bishops. Curious to see how they are liked. Any body know if the four week shipping is somewhat close to correct ? Or are they like so many other places and it’s said 4 weeks for the last six months already. I have no durability issues with my gold tips, but the price don’t look to bad on those I would like to try some.
Man I have no idea I just includes them because they look durable. I think they are very new.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm hoping the Sirius Apollo arrows will be the toughest I've found. I have some on order to try out as I like their specs and the weaved carbon. Prior to that are the long discontinued Trophy Ridge arrows, haven't found anything even close to them, but am hopeful with the Apollo's.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
How many people have actually broken an arrow on an elk?

If I burry it in the opposite shoulder joint it's going to break. Not too worried about it. As much cost goes into an elk hunt I'll gladly give up an arrow when it comes to it.

My buddy had arrows break three times right behind the insert on animals.

I don't know all the details, but he is not a moron - he's a bow engineer.

I think your buddy has bad cosmic energy or something. That seems really unlikely to happen, let alone three times. Heck I’ve bounced arrows through animals and off trees that didn’t break.

bat-cave

WKR
+1 for Day Six. I've yet to break one even smacking rebar on 3D! Very happy with them.

Oh and I have broken FMJ's on Elk & Whitetail. Both from bone contact and damage after the pass through ... hence I no longer hunt with FMJ's.

Last edited:

fatlander

WKR

Your buddy needs to stop hitting game in the heavy leg bone around the ball and socket. I work with a lot of engineers and while they’re ‘smart’ to a certain degree, most of them have less common sense than my bird dog.

I think your buddy has bad cosmic energy or something. That seems really unlikely to happen, let alone three times. Heck I’ve bounced arrows through animals and off trees that didn’t break.

I personally had 2 gold tip pierce platinum arrows snap off directly behind the outsert on 2 different elk. Neither arrow hit shoulder, 1 hit slightly high ribs (upper third), the 2nd hit center ribs.
It certainly happens, if there is a weak point in a setup, you can bet it will show up at the most inopportune time.

Last edited:

MThuntr

WKR
I'm giving Black Eagle X Impact a try. I wanted to try Apollo but my local shop had the X Impacts and they shot me a deal when I had them tune my bow. I went with the stainless FOCOS system.

Great question here! Snapped an Easton Axis 340 off at the broadhead right around the ball and socket on a herd bull at 24 yards last September. The only silver lining is that a ball and socket shot that breaks at the broadhead probably felt like a bee sting and they'll be fine if it doesn't get too infected.

Let's be honest here, poor shots don't do any arrows favors.

IMG_5006.JPG

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Your buddy needs to stop hitting game in the heavy leg bone around the ball and socket. I work with a lot of engineers and while they’re ‘smart’ to a certain degree, most of them have less common sense than my bird dog.

My point is that if he's smart enough to design carbon fiber risers for flagship bows at a major bow company, he should be smart enough to know a thing or two about arrow strength and not do something stupid arrow design wise.

Sincerely,
A fellow engineer.