Toughest hunt of your life?

U.S. Army Ranger School Class 7-91. Not a hunt but pure misery.

“I’ve had worse. At least I’m not still in Ranger School.” Dave Grossman, LTC, USA (retired).

I almost lost my leg at age 13 from a motorcycle accident so I have favored that leg thus putting all the work on my good leg. While hunting tahr in New Zealand at age 50 I tore my meniscus in my good knee while packing out a tahr in this drainage. I had shot 2 of them so the next day I had to do it again.
View attachment 137168

That’s motivating to me man, good grit.

sheephunt

FNG
Dall sheep in NWT, (Liards region of Mackenzie Mtns.). Thought it was going to be my LAST hunt during many moments. White knuckle!

Werty

WKR
Buddy and I did a diy dall sheep hunt. Back packed in. 13 hours up hill to get into area.

Wrench

WKR
yup, even up here in AK it can be surprisingly tough to find a good partner, all but one of my sheep hunts have been solo, heck, I’m not moose hunting today because my buddy made some stupid plan (during hunting season).
You're hunting with my pard?

weaver

WKR
Breaking down my Alaskan moose solo in the dark this year is probably the most exhausting thing I've done while hunting.

Actually a couple elk packouts come to mind now that might've been worse but those where a couple years ago.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The worst hunt that I've ever done and the memory always sticks with me is when I was 13 years old. I was born and raised in Wyoming and could start hunting bug game at the age of twelve. At 12 I harvested my first antelope, and was the only hunt I went on that year. At 13 we were going on our first mule deer hunt. I was so excited and could barely contain myself once the draw results came out that July. All summer that's all I could think or talk about was my very first mule deer hunt. The area we were hunting was walk in only. I was prepared for it no matter what. Well here comes Oct 1 opening day, and I had bronchitis! I was a coughing till you puke, couldn't walk 100 yards without almost losing a lung, and was devastated by my parents telling me I couldn't go. I screamed and threw a fit until they said fine we'll try. Well we went, I hiked 4 miles that day with my dad and grandfather. All the while blowing out every deer in the area because I couldn't stop coughing and drank every drop of water we had between all three of us. We only seen one little two point that day blowing out and never had a shot. Definitely one of my worst hunts ever. I was one hurting unit but my grandfather was damn proud of me cause I didn't show any quit, I wasn't letting anything stop me from hunting. 12 years later I'm still that guy. I live by the motto, you never know unless you go! That motto also usually gets me in further then I really wanted to be. I've had to let down on some elk once I thought, "hey man, you're by yourself 6 miles in some rough stuff, probably not smart"
Hope everyone had a great 2019 season!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Gar

FNG
The harder they have been, the better. I get something good from being cold, tired and exhausted packing out a harvest. Not sure why, but thats when I feel the most alive. I’m sure others can attest to the same feeling. Its why I train hard, and eat clean.

Poeschel

Lil-Rokslider
Wisconsin duck hunt. Below zero windchill, snow, wind. The weather came from out of nowhere. Constantly breaking ice in our decoy spread. Boat motor wouldn’t start. Two guys had to paddle back while a third stayed up front busting ice. Wish I knew about hot tents back then, lol.

Shraggs

WKR
Honestly my first western elk hunt was the hardest! Not in good enough shape, too much crap in the pack, picked an area that was pure hell to get to and worse to get out. Physically demeaning, but the challenge of big game hunting doing it yourself and not knowing squat, that mental challenge shapes you.