Toughest Squirrel Ever, But Awesome Flavor

Went camping Tuesday and had a nice organic free range tree rat for supper. For the first time I can remember I didn't get an instant kill. Blew out the front of the chest but didn't explode the heart. It scampered about 3 feet and died in seconds. Normally I get a head shot or blow out the chest/lungs, so they fall like a hammer.

Breaded and fried in olive oil, it was too tough to eat. I then boiled the browned meat for 30 minutes, and it was tenderish and better than the best chicken dark meat I've ever had.

First time this tough. Could the delayed death cause this? I cleaned it almost immediately and it sat skinned on a log in 40 degree weather for about four hours before cooking.
20220112_093248~2.jpg

20220111_182816.jpg
20220111_185928.jpg
20220111_192315.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Mike Islander
Grey squirrel is by far my favorite game meat. Normally I freeze several and then fry or eat in a stew. Freezing tenderizes them a bit.

In the field they go straight into the pan. Most times a little chewy but very edible. This time was just far more tough. I now will consider fry-then-boil standard if I am able to have a campife. No way I would boil 30 minutes using gas. If gas only i think I'll start cutting in small strips.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I have eaten many grey squirrels, and have NEVER had a tender one. I can not even believe you claim you have. We usually turn them into red chili any more.

I par boil them first then fry, but the little beggars are still a bit chewy, just the nature of the beast, also you can fry, make a gravy with the drippings, put the squirrel back in the gravy and slow cook till a bit more tender then make some dumplings (bisquik works well) place in the skillet with the squirrel and gravy let it go until the dumplings are cooked. Good meal there.

OP
Mike Islander
I par boil them first then fry, but the little beggars are still a bit chewy, just the nature of the beast, also you can fry, make a gravy with the drippings, put the squirrel back in the gravy and slow cook till a bit more tender then make some dumplings (bisquik works well) place in the skillet with the squirrel and gravy let it go until the dumplings are cooked. Good meal there.
You just float the dumplings on top of the stew? Lid on, right?

You gotta let rigimortis set in. Cut up a young tender deer before he gets stiff and that's the toughest deer on the planet. Squirrel is the same way.

OP
Mike Islander

Pressure cook, debone, pan sear. Voila! Thank you for the suggestion.
20220311_123327.jpg
20220311_123335.jpg

Bee33

FNG
Western greys are my favorite fame to hunt. They can be a challenge to hunt which I love. I freeze my squirrel which helps tenders them. But if I was to cook fresh I like to pan fry them then add hot water for stew.