Tow vehicle question

I don't get the 3/4 ton truck thing. Get a srw one ton. You gain capacity all around, larger axles and brakes.....and you loose nothing. Same size truck, just better running gear under you....whats not to like?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't get the 3/4 ton truck thing. Get a srw one ton. You gain capacity all around, larger axles and brakes.....and you loose nothing. Same size truck, just better running gear under you....whats not to like?
Possibly worse registration fees, in my state anyway.

All I'm saying is: if you have to modify the truck to do what you want......prolly should have just got the bigger truck. Why buy a 1/2 ton or 3/4 then put airbags and swaybars etc......or just buy the srw 1 ton and be done.....

All I'm saying is: if you have to modify the truck to do what you want......prolly should have just got the bigger truck. Why buy a 1/2 ton or 3/4 then put airbags and swaybars etc......or just buy the srw 1 ton and be done.....
I know the only difference between my 2003 Ram 3500 SRW and my buddies 2006 2500 is the rear helper springs on my truck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No luxury tax on one tons in BC so they are a better deal than a ¾ ton. Almost no ¾ tons up here. The 2015 F350 has a decent ride compared to older ones and mine has max payload factory springs for carrying the camper.

SheepDogRob

Lil-Rokslider
So we just bought a new Jayco 27' travel trailer. I drive a 97 F350 long bed super cab (big and heavy) and my wife drives a 2013 F150 with the ecoboost. Against my better judgement, we opted to toe the trailer with her truck to the coast this weekend. The ecoboost pulled like a champ but the truck was just flat out too light! Wished the whole time I would have driven the heavier F350. The F150 did fine with a 23' trailer but the new one was just a bit too much. Also, sway bars helped a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kicker338

WKR
Up to 1 ton rig now, i'le make it simple just go to your local kenworth dealer get your self a T-800 with a 500hp Cummins then you will have about 1600lbs of torque and you can pull any old thing you want LOL.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
To me, I think it's very much about picking the vehicle that does all the different jobs I need well. 1 ton pickups are obviously ideal for pulling heavy trailers but, to me, they are almost too much of a one-trick pony. A 3/4 ton pulls my horse trailer well enough in the mountains, but also isn't so big that I've sacrificed off-road capability too much. A person almost has to make a decision matrix (google it) and weight the different jobs a truck will do based on frequency and importance of the job and see which option scores the highest.

skifunk2

FNG
I didn't really see it talked about much, so I'll state the obvious. Once a load is moving, the easy part is done.... The hard part is the actual stopping, especially in an emergency scenario. SOOOO many guys are under trucked nowadays for the loads they are hauling its wildly unsafe for everyone involved. I know the increase expense between from the 1/2 to 3/4T especially if you add in the diesel, but the 3/4 gives you so many more options in the long run, you'll probably never wonder if your truck can handle the load, you'll just hook and go...

Your back may tell you otherwise though!

WRO

WKR
You gotta have stacks and tow mirrors.
9b4c8624cdb741bcfa8e85b13ff45177.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk