Tow vehicle question

So we had a small camp trailer that we just sold. We plan to upgrade to a toy hauler, something about 23 feet. It looks like the empty weight would be about 5500lbs or so. After loading everything up including an ATV I am wondering if I should get a 3/4 ton truck. I have a 2011 F150 now with the 5.0 in it. I plan to get a new (used, 2015-2017) truck this year already. I know the 1/2 tons are rated to tow 10k+ but that doesn't mean they will do well with a lot of weight.

Thoughts on getting another 1/2 ton or going to a 3/4 ton? I don't really want or need a diesel and I only tow the camp trailer. We probably get out 10 times a year or so.

pwsINC

WKR
I would saw 1/2 TONS just aren't made for this purpose. And their rating is intended as a max rating in perfect conditions (dry road, flat) to be able to move it..... You are talking about alot of weight. I would definitely go to 3/4 ton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I would certainly consider it in your shoes.

I've owned various 1/2 tons, and while they certainly have the hp to pull 7,000+, the 3/4 ton gasser will be way more stable on rough or winding roads. The extra weight keeps the trailer from pushing you around, and it's a real difference. Drawbacks are a rougher unloaded ride and a couple mpg less vs a half ton.

Any of the newer gas engine trucks will pull that weight very well. I have a 5.7L Ram 2500 right now, and it pulls and hauls those weights just great. Have driven the newer 6.4L Hemi with 4.10 gears, and it's even better. I'm sure the equivalent F250 or Chevy gas truck would do as well. It's not until you climb close to 10,000 lbs that the diesels really start to shine.

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Hey I'll sell you my 3/4 ton ram for towing!

Lol I'm sure you don't want to buy a diesel truck with 250k miles but I can say that for towing crap in the 5000 lb range it is nice to have that extra power and stability. The only problem is that it is absolutely awful to drive in the city or in traffic.

Could the option of buying a used 1 or 3\4 ton for hauling and a small car for a daily driver work? Because if so that would be your best bet.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

I've always had diesel srw 1 tons. They get great mpg. I get 19 mpg towing my loaded 37 foot TT. Empty I am in the way upper 20s...like 27/28. The big difference in stopping power. Larger brakes in the 1 ton and longer wheelbase, also heavier. Which all translates into stability. Also the bigger truck isn't working as hard to get the job done. Now, if you don't like good mpg and power then go gas. Get a big block though. The new Ford 6.2 is a great engine.

OP
MuleyFever
What 1 ton are you driving? I can't afford 2 vehicles or a 1 ton. Trying to stay as close to $30k as I can with low miles so really looking at the Ram (2014-2016) with the 5.7. I am not in a hurry so maybe I will come across a good deal on a Chevy, GMC or F250. My wife starts school again in 2 weeks so we may actually just wait until next spring since we won't have a lot of time to camp this summer. Will allow for a better down payment too.

hodgeman

WKR
A half ton will pull it...but it won't be pretty.

Rule of thumb- don't exceed 50% of your capacity unless you want it to push you all over the road or cause you to pull hills in second.

Trying to stay as close to $30k as I can with low miles so really looking at the Ram (2014-2016) with the 5.7. I am not in a hurry so maybe I will come across a good deal on a Chevy, GMC or F250.

My 2012 Ram 5.7L has been an extremely low maintenance truck. Other than oil/filter changes, I don't think I've had it in a shop in almost three years now. Next time around I'll get the 6.4L, but zero complaints with this one and it's seen a lot of rough job site miles. Mileage will stink with that trailer (10 mpg or less), but that's the case with any gas engine combined with a heavy load.

gbflyer

WKR
We have a 23' Jayco we tow with our '07 Dodge 350 with 6.7 Cummins. No shortage of power but that trailer jerks the truck all over the place. It's billed as being half ton towable but I cannot imagine doing that. I hate bumper trailers. Same truck towing our gooseneck with #12K Bobcat excavator on it is much, much nicer to pull.

OP
MuleyFever
If you were going to buy a used diesel what mileage would you try to stay under? I want this next truck to last me at least 5 years.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Half tons with a tow rating around 10k is marketing hype. They assume a half tank of fuel and a 150 pound driver as the only weight in the truck. E rated tires are almost mandatory for 6000+ but no halfton comes with them. To add those tires would be $800 to $1600 with today's damn 18 inch + wheels. Air bag rear helper springs $400. My suggestion is finding a gas 3/4 ton will save you a couple thousand in add ons.

tttoadman

WKR
As a few have eluded to, by the time you get the heavy duty package and load rated tires on a 1/2 ton, you have almost bought the 3/4 ton.

When I was looking for a new truck a few years back I set my mind on 150K max for a gas pot and 300K for a diesel. I ended up with a 95 powerstroke with 320K, and I get 18-19 MPG with it. The powerstrokes will steadily wear out, but they will just keep going up to about 500K if you take care of em.

colersu22

WKR
I have a 08 ram 1500 with the 5.7, I don't know if the 3/4 ton has a better 5.7 but I am not a fan of the truck. I have had it for 3 years and I always miss my diesel. I average 11-12 mpg in the city and 14 on the highway and it just feels like a turd when going over the pass's in Wa. My old 6.0 was getting 19 city and 22 highway and the thing could actually get out of its own way. I have only towed a light trailer with the dodge and you feel it the whole time where the 6.0 I would forget about towing the car trailer loaded.

Seems like a lot of people in the past say to star away from a diesel unless you pull 10K plus regularly but I am on the other side and hate the gas truck and when I finally get a new rig it will be a diesel even though I don't tow that heavy or often.

bates

WKR
You are probably right on the line

Is the 5,500 the actual weight?

Can a 1/2 pull it yeah but stopping and stability a 3/4 Ton would do better

23 is a shorter trailer so wind wouldn't be as bad while towing

I personally wouldn't consider a 3/4 gasser, diesel all the way

And it would be hard for me not to tell you to get anything other than a 2017 right now. Just nicer and better driving trucks

I have a 17 Duramax and love it but I also have 34 ft toyhauler

For your application though you would probably be happier with a 1/2 but a 3/4 would allow you to look at different campers.

I was originally going to buy a 1/2 ton and 25ft toyhauler but ended up getting a 3/4 ton and cheaper and bigger toyhauler so it was a wash $ for me

mtmuley

WKR
If the OP doesn't want a diesel, I suggest he find a clean, used Chevy or GMC with the 8.1 and Allison. There isn't a better gasoline engine for pulling made. Might be tough to find one, but worth it. mtmuley

muddydogs

WKR
A half ton will pull it...but it won't be pretty.

Rule of thumb- don't exceed 50% of your capacity unless you want it to push you all over the road or cause you to pull hills in second.

In what world is this a rule of thumb? Never heard it before and it makes no sense as a 3/4 ton pickup would only be pulling 5 to 6000 pounds a guy would need a 3 ton truck to pull about any 5th wheel on the market these days. The conservative estimate is only pull 75% of your capacity but even this isn't used much these days with the larger 5th wheels. Stay withing your vehicle weight ratings, keep your truck and trailer brakes service and you will be fine.

Beendare

WKR
The advice you are getting above is right on the money. I've always owned 3/4 ton trucks up until my latest Tundra. I have been doing less and less towing of heavy stuff; Bobcat Track machine [about 7,000# all in] Excavator, etc. I end up doing some short tows every once in awhile and even with air bags you can tell the frame of the truck is undersized for that kind of thing.

My boat [3,500#] is fine...and the Tundra 5.7 motor is a beast...but the frames on these 1/2 tons is light duty.