Toyota 4runners

PAhntr91

WKR
Looking at some 3rd gen 4runners. For any one who has owned one with high miles. How many miles is to many to buy with found a few near me with around or over 200k for around 5 grand but look in great shape there also limited with sport addition. What do you guys think. Btw I’m a body man/mechanic for a living.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 1st gen tacoma, nearly identical to the 3rd gen 4runner. 200k is nothing on these. I've been through a bunch of vehicles and keep going back to the old Tacoma's. If you're in a area with rust be sure to check the frame really good, I'm in California but Ive heard older toyotas have problems with rust. lower ball joints WILL fail on you and it is dangerous when they do so unless they have been replaced recently you'll want to do that asap. The timing belt should also be replaced but it's a non interference motor so it shouldn't cause any major issues if it's not done but may leave you stranded. I just took my 300k mile 96 tacoma on a trip to the sonoran desert for mule deer 14 hours away and it didn't skip a beat. I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere in the country

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
That’s what I hear guys. Found an 02 with the locker with 230k on it. I’m thinking about pulling the trigger. Pictures look like it’s clean and well taking care of.

I wouldn't think twice about one with 200K. The timing belt and lbj are easy to do since you're mechanically inclined. I upgraded mine with tundra brakes when I had it. At 300k I'd start to get suspicious of the transmission but the engine would still have a lot of life left. My sister's 97 limited has 320k and the transmission slips from time to time. The rear axle seals and valve cover gasket are the only two other things I can think to look out for and they're pretty obvious.

If you don't have your heart set on a 3rd gen though 4th gens tend to be a great deal and an upgrade in power and comfort (gx470s too for that matter which is where I would look first). The only ones I'd avoid there is the 03-04 v6 models because of head gasket issues.

CorbLand

WKR
I am in the same boat as the OP. Have an 01 Tundra but have been thinking a 4Runner would be a little better for what I need. Interested to see what people have to say.

BustaRibs

FNG
Curious what price difference is between older 4Runner and 100 series Land Cruiser/LX 470 with similar age & miles. I know the LC resale market went crazy in the past year or so. Is it the same with the 4R's?

200k is fine on a 5vz as long as oil was changed every 5k or so.
Expect leaky valve covers, to do a timing belt job, and to hear valve tick. All normal stuff.
Pull out cup holders are often broke. And clock often doesn’t work.

The unicorn is the 99-2000 5spd manual with J shift transfer case and rear locker. No sunroof.
Next would be 96-98 with 5spd manual and rear locker. No sunroof.

Most locker ones have 4.30 gears but some have 4.10’s like the Tacoma’s.

Lots of differences over the years to consider. 99 and up has digital dash, auto headlights, better center console, better headlights, better MAF, ect... But once you get into 2000 and above you get into AWD transfer with locking center diff, throttle by wire, ect....
You can swap most parts to upgrade a 96-98 to have the 99+ stuff

I like the SR5’s myself. The limited ones have too much gingerbread stuck to the outside of them and cheesy wood trim.

There are a few forums that specialize in Toyota’s.

You need to inspect the frame. If the frame is in good shape and you believe it was maintained then 200k is no problemo amigo.

Painless

FNG
I sold my 99 fat lip 4 runner in 2016 with 307K on it for 6500 bucks and the kid that bought it is still driving it almost 5 years later.

Like others have said, rust!!!
If PAhunter means your from Pennsylvania you might not want one unless your shopping west coast.

I sold a 99 with 340k a few years back for $1500 and it still a daily driver. Synthetic every 3 to 3500 will do wonders.
It was pulling 170 to 180 psi all cylinders when I sold it.

Fatcamp

WKR
I wouldn't think twice about one with 200K. The timing belt and lbj are easy to do since you're mechanically inclined. I upgraded mine with tundra brakes when I had it. At 300k I'd start to get suspicious of the transmission but the engine would still have a lot of life left. My sister's 97 limited has 320k and the transmission slips from time to time. The rear axle seals and valve cover gasket are the only two other things I can think to look out for and they're pretty obvious.

If you don't have your heart set on a 3rd gen though 4th gens tend to be a great deal and an upgrade in power and comfort (gx470s too for that matter which is where I would look first). The only ones I'd avoid there is the 03-04 v6 models because of head gasket issues.

Way more years than 03 and 04 have head gasket issues. Buyer beware.

2001. 149k.
KIMG3282.JPG

bmicek

WKR
I have a 3rd Gen with 230k miles and I’d trust it to drive to Pennsylvania tomorrow. Super reliable. We just bought a ‘21 5th Gen but for what we’ve been offered for trade in, I kept the 3rd Gen. Haven’t had any major issues, just small maintenance things

nphunter

WKR
I’m not a 4 runner guy but have been using SUV’s for hunting forever. K5 blazer, Cherokee, Xterra then a Rubicon unlimited with 37’s.

I always loved my SUV’s but ended up selling the Rubicon and decided to try a Tacoma. I bought a 4 door and the first thing I did was put a tall canopy on it. I am so glad i switched to the pickup, I can’t believe I drove around those little SUV’s for so long. The taco is just as good in the woods with way more room.

I ended up buying a second Gen Taco with 74k miles. It really didn’t cost me much more at all than one with 200k+ with the same upgrades. The lower mile Toyota’s are harder to find if your not patient but they are out there and people don’t want much more for them since Toyota’s seem to hold there value so much.

The main thing I didn’t like was lack of room and if you put a rack like the above picture on the back which you will need you might as well be driving a suburban.

AA1E52E3-F959-487F-BDAA-B46028FD01FD.jpeg

IdahoElk

WKR
I had a 98, bought it with 150k and sold it with 275k no issues other than the typical front end bushings, burned no oil.

Way more years than 03 and 04 have head gasket issues. Buyer beware.
Oh I agree but they seem to be the most notorious and a pain because of the aluminum block. My 04 still has a small leak even after I fixed it because the original owner probably got it too hot. Love the extra power over the 3.4 though

Titan_Bow

WKR
How do you guys think the new Toyotas will "age" I totalled my Xterra with 160k miles last month, and replaced it with a 2021 4Runner.

Fatcamp

WKR
Oh I agree but they seem to be the most notorious and a pain because of the aluminum block. My 04 still has a small leak even after I fixed it because the original owner probably got it too hot. Love the extra power over the 3.4 though

I debated switching to a 4th Gen V8, but really like the one I have now.

How difficult did you find the head gasket fix? You had to pull the engine, correct?

Have you looked into chemical solutions for your leak? I have an F250 with a small leak. Considering: https://gobdp.com/product/head-gasket-sealer-38386/

Good reviews on the Ford forums.

I really prefer the look of the 4th gens, especially when lifted and modified, but my 3rd gen is an awesome truck.