Tracking dog in Tucson area

zabwelch

FNG
Hello,
Does anyone on here know someone with a good tracking dog in the Tucson area? I am from Nebraska and am Coues deer hunting and hit one a bit far back today. I have decent blood, but looking like I’ll have to return tomorrow. Any advice would be appreciated

Elcy

FNG
try posting to the forums on coueswhitetail.com- Mostly AZ hunters there. Good luck

neverquit

WKR
Good blood it subjective. In my experience. After 200yards your never gonna find him

OP
Z

zabwelch

FNG
Appreciate everyone’s response! Covered about everything we could today and couldn’t turn him up. I’m sick about it. Arrow went through guts, but figured for sure he would bed within a couple hundred yards. I learned after posting this that using tracking dogs is illegal in AZ, so not an option I suppose. Anyways, thanks again everyone for the advice, I wish I was telling you about the pack out, but that’s the way bowhunting goes sometimes!

Keep looking. He is there....hard to see the little buggers when they are in a bit of brush or a depression. I recovered one that was about 600 GPS yds from where I shot him. Buddy found one that went further. They go further than a typical NE whitetail in my very limited (thankfully) experience. Good luck!!

Wellsdw

WKR
I saw az had a lea against but I also saw where they had a few trackers. Figured game wardens probably looked the other way. Saw that first hand a few times in Wyoming before it was legal there

rclouse79

WKR
Hope you find him. That seems weird that it is illegal to use a dog to recover game. Just bring a shotgun with you and say you are bird hunting.

Wellsdw

WKR
Hope you find him. That seems weird that it is illegal to use a dog to recover game. Just bring a shotgun with you and say you are bird hunting.

A few remaining states lump hunting dogs that can run cats, bears etc. in big game situations and tracking dogs together.
Generally speaking though most trackers use 25’-40’ leads in order to read their dog, and keep them close. Some hunters are also hesitant too, I was called by a guy a couple weeks ago who didn’t want a dog in his hunting spot, but he was desperate after he and 6 friends Grid searched the area........

Rancher

FNG
Don't give up ,he is there somewhere.I shot a nice 4x4 this year in S Dakota,and had to leave him overnight.Coyotes found him first,and boned him out.I have the rack,and the satisfaction of knowing what happened to him.

NE1022

FNG
Any luck finding him? Just returned from mule deer hunt down there. Saw some great bucks and a lot of hunters!

OP
Z

zabwelch

FNG
We never did turn him up. We covered a lot of area, thought maybe after a couple days some birds would start circling. He's got to be somewhere, just not where we were looking. Bummer, but just the way it goes sometimes!