Tracking in the snow

HRH2K

FNG
Had an interesting outing on Monday that I figured I would share. We cut some very fresh tracks in some fresh snow, what looked like a small herd of elk, probably 4-5 head. Higher terrain with juniper and sage brush scrub. Not a lot of thick timber, but visibility was limited to about 40 yards. We pushed pretty hard trying to gain ground on them at first, until the tracks doubled back and crossed our own! We continued on, and were outmaneuvered once again. At some point, the tracks had diverged, and we followed the larger ones. Suspecting a third double back, we retraced our steps to a clearing and waited. Within a minute, two young bull moose came cruising through the clearing not 40 yards from us! Not exactly what we were hoping for, but it was so cool I couldn’t be upset. 🙂

We hiked back to where we first started trailing, and saw two sets of moose tracks, near what were definitely elk tracks, both crossing the road in the same direction. Because of the fresh snow (and our excitement) we didn’t think much of the prominent dew claws and missed the difference in hoof shape. As near as we can figure, the animals must have crossed paths, and we ended up following the wrong set of tracks at some point. I’m not sure at what point we got it wrong.

As I’ve never tracked elk in the snow before, I figured I would ask a few questions. Will elk double back on their own tracks readily if they know they’re being followed, like these moose did? I’ve heard of bull elk watching their own trail, but assumed they would blow out if they sensed a predator. The moose just gave us the run around. How do you close the distance in thick cover? Conditions were nearly dead calm, we couldn’t really have moved any quieter than we did, with the snow underfoot.

I definitely learned a lot from my outing, hoping to get back in that area at least once more this year. I will also consider putting in for a moose tag in my unit next year, somebody has to draw right? 😁

bsnedeker

WKR
For me the key has always been to move waaaaay slower than you think you need to. If the elk aren't pressured they won't be travelling long distances. Go slow, take a few steps and glass for bedded elk. They can blend in incredibly well. Look at the bases of trees specifically. While you may think you only have 40 yards visibility you will be surprised what you can pick out with your binos through thick timber in the snow. Sound is your enemy. They can hear you crunching through the snow from a long way away. They won't usually bump until they see something they don't like though, so the key is seeing them first.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
HRH2K

HRH2K

FNG
Thanks you guys that helps a lot. Will definitely go slower next time and try to stay off the tracks.

Scooter37

FNG
I had similar experience this year also. I was so close on their trail the pellets were still warm as the melted into the snow but I could never close the distance enough to get a sighting through the trees. I was in a pretty thick area. I was following four sets of tracks with one seeming larger than the others and they would sort of split up and come back together. They way they would thread apart made me assume they weren’t running in single file like I had really spooked them. I probably followed them for an hour but never got to see them. With 4 “ of fresh snow I could find no way to put my foot down without some sort of crunching noise but also like mentioned I was probably moving way to fast. I miss a lot if I don’t use my binos even in the trees plus it forces me to slow down. It is exciting knowing they are that close though

I've never had a lot of luck tracking Elk like that. I only do it as a last ditch when I'm out of other ideas. I will say, several times I've been right on them, even found warm pee a few times. But I can only think of a couple times I even got a glimpse of an elk tracking like that.

I like the tip of staying off the trail as much as possible, that makes a lot of sense. I've seen a lot of "J-turns" in the track, and single-file turn into a couple separate tracks. Maybe if I'd stayed off the trail they would have stopped and bedded. Thanks for the tip!