Tract 12.5x50 vs any other 11-12x'...

Ingo

Lil-Rokslider
For many years I've been plotting to buy some EL 12x50s for all Arizona hunting. I looked at the NLs recently, as well (not entirely impressed from the limited time I tried them).

I just can't pull the trigger on $3k binos, at the moment. Not that I don't have the money, it's just a matter of what I can stomach. I would likely only want to buy new, fyi. I never buy and sell stuff so resale isn't a concern.

So...

My current plan is to possibly buy the 12.5x Torics. I can feel ok about $750, at the moment. I know that they aren't very widespread so I'd like to hear opinions from those that have used Torics and hopefully those that have used the 12.5s. Is there ANYTHING that can stand up to the value they offer for a 12x class bino.

Considering Mavens or Meoptas ($1100/$1500) are 70%/100% more money I can't imagine them competing on value with the Torics given that eventually I will probably relegate the pair I buy in the near future to backups when I buy some ELs.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
You happen to be military/veteran? Maven offers a nice discount if so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I

Ingo

Lil-Rokslider
You happen to be military/veteran? Maven offers a nice discount if so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am not. If I could get the Mavens for within $150-$200 of the Torics I would be more interested, for sure. Although, the consensus is the 9x45 is more impressive than the 11x45 with the Mavens.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
I got the 12.5x50 Tracts last summer. Very impressed and satisfied with them. I don't have much experience with higher end glass but my BIL's 12x50 Vipers aren't even close.

OP
I

Ingo

Lil-Rokslider
I got the 12.5x50 Tracts last summer. Very impressed and satisfied with them. I don't have much experience with higher end glass but my BIL's 12x50 Vipers aren't even close.
Thanks for the response.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I had the Zeiss Conquest 10x42, a set of Leupolds, Maven 11x45 and Tract Toric 10x42 at once and was able to compare. I learned that the Tract, Leupold Vortex (MIJ), Sig Zulu9 and Maven are all made in the same factory by the same company in Japan. The differences in armor and coatings differentiates them. I found the Tract was actually the best in terms of depth of focus and was indistinguishable from Maven on edge to edge clarity or CA. I end up passing all of them along but wouldn't hesitate to use Tract again.

That said, if I was going to spend $650-$750, I'd watch Amazon for a sale on Sig Zulu9 in 9x45 or 11x45 as they often go for $720-$750 and the opitcal design is very bright and I find they're better in low light.

OP
I

Ingo

Lil-Rokslider
I had the Zeiss Conquest 10x42, a set of Leupolds, Maven 11x45 and Tract Toric 10x42 at once and was able to compare. I learned that the Tract, Leupold Vortex (MIJ), Sig Zulu9 and Maven are all made in the same factory by the same company in Japan. The differences in armor and coatings differentiates them. I found the Tract was actually the best in terms of depth of focus and was indistinguishable from Maven on edge to edge clarity or CA. I end up passing all of them along but wouldn't hesitate to use Tract again.

That said, if I was going to spend $650-$750, I'd watch Amazon for a sale on Sig Zulu9 in 9x45 or 11x45 as they often go for $720-$750 and the opitcal design is very bright and I find they're better in low light.
That's crazy that the Sig's dip that low. Looks like the normal price is $1200?

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I saw new Sig Zulu9 9x45 for $719.00 last week on Amazon with Prime Free Shipping and Free Returns. The 11x45 version was $749.00 also with Prime.

I'd get the Sig 9x45 for that price as I like the light transmission of the Abbe Konig design. But, Tract is not something to be ashamed of.

renagde

WKR
Midway USA closed out the Zulu9s last week. I think the 11x45 were $554, the 9x45s were a little more. They sold out pretty quickly, but my guess is you'll see some pop up in the classifieds within the next few weeks.

OP
I

Ingo

Lil-Rokslider
Midway still has the 11x45.
The Tracts went unavailable right before I was going to order them so I ordered the Zulu 9 11x45 from Midway. Anyone know why Midway is selling them so cheaply? They go out of stock and pop up again often I wonder if they're just selling the returns from people trying them and sending them back.