Tract Optics Toric 30MM 4-20X50 FFP MOA PRS

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMG-0596.jpg
I received a UHD Toric 30MM 4-20X50 FFP MOA PRS from Tract Optics for review. Up until recently I hadn't heard much on Tract optics. Tract located in Pennsylvania prides themselves on being able to produce quality Optics for less . There is no markup on the scopes as they only sell directly to costumers. The scope I received sells for 1,294$ which is right in line with others competing in the mid range long range scope market .
After taking a quick look at it . It seems high quality in every aspect very smooth and tight from the locking elevation and windage turrets to the numbered parallax and magnification ring. The retical is glass etched MOA PRS it is a Christmas tree style. I can imagine the .14 moa floating center dot will lead to some tight groups.

IMG-0719.jpg

I have a hard time seen the dot at low power; I've always had that problem with FFP scopes at low power.
It has both locking elevation and windage turrets and comes with a zero stop. The clicks are very solid and audible. They sent me Triad rings and a bubble level.
This thing is solid it probably could double as a hammer. Its is fairly compact side by side with a Zeiss V4 4-16 50 MM it is actually smaller however out weighs the V4 by almost 10 ounces. Toric 30MM 4-20X50 FFP MOA PRSIMG-0595.jpg I weighed it at 33.85 ounces.
IMG-0583.jpg
IMG-0581.jpg

My first impression other then the weight is very good. Glass seems very good although I haven't really thoroughly checked it out yet. Im excited to get this on a rifle and start using it.

10/29/21 Jim's final review is up!:

trac-bull-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased this scope and received it 2 weeks ago. I don’t think you can but a finer scope for the money. I also own S&B as well as Nightforce. This is a great scope. I’ll be mounting on a 6 CM built on an Origin action.

OP
J

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quick simple update. There is a lot to like about this scope. Most important part it dials flawlessly. Other then being a bit heavy its as good of long range scope as I have used up until this point. Ill be getting a initial review up shortly.

critrgitr

Lil-Rokslider
How do the turrets feel? Are they a very distinct positive feeling click like the higher end dial scopes or are they kind of mushy feeling like many of the lower to mid range dialers?

OP
J

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do the turrets feel? Are they a very distinct positive feeling click like the higher end dial scopes or are they kind of mushy feeling like many of the lower to mid range dialers?
Very good ,solid distinct feel.

I have been on the fence on Toric scopes. I would like to see someone do some impact and drop tests on these scopes to see if they still dial flawlessly. But until then, I am open to receiving a sample scope and doing the testing myself (Jon and Jon, are you listening).

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I have had one for about 6 months now and my only complaint is it is limited on elevation. Not a huge deal but I am limited to about 1200 yards of elevation with the 6.5 PRC it is sitting on with a 20 MOA rail. Otherwise it's a great little scope for the price.

I just got one and it’s built very well. I love everything about it besides the weight. The reticle is excellent and the turrets are solid.

justpassingthru

Lil-Rokslider
I too am interested in this scope. Does anyone know if it would be a big difference over a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 3-15? Does the Tract have a forgiving eyebox?

I too am interested in this scope. Does anyone know if it would be a big difference over a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 3-15? Does the Tract have a forgiving eyebox?
The Eye box is excellent but I have never compared to the PST. I will say it is much better than the Athlon Ares I had before. It is built like a tank. Ive also dealt with Tract warranty for some binoculars and it’s incredible. I think the elevation, FOV and price would be the only downside compared to the PST.

justpassingthru

Lil-Rokslider
The Eye box is excellent but I have never compared to the PST. I will say it is much better than the Athlon Ares I had before. It is built like a tank. Ive also dealt with Tract warranty for some binoculars and it’s incredible. I think the elevation, FOV and price would be the only downside compared to the PST.
Thanks, that is probably my main concern as i don't shoot much further than 1000yds.

Sorry if this should be obvious (I'm fairly new to longer range shooting) but concerning the Tracts limited elevation adjustment (but it being fine at 1000yds or so), does that take into consideration the ability to holdover with the reticle if need be to shoot beyond that?

Looking at the specs of the 2, the Vortex has 22mils of elevation and the Tract has 20mils. Apples to apples right?

Thanks, that is probably my main concern as i don't shoot much further than 1000yds.

Sorry if this should be obvious (I'm fairly new to longer range shooting) but concerning the Tracts limited elevation adjustment (but it being fine at 1000yds or so), does that take into consideration the ability to holdover with the reticle if need be to shoot beyond that?

Looking at the specs of the 2, the Vortex has 22mils of elevation and the Tract has 20mils. Apples to apples right?
Depends on caliber and setup. I would use a 20 MOA rail and you should be fine. The reticle will add additional distance. I haven’t taken mine out that far so I’m curious if anyone else on here has and how far they could shoot.

justpassingthru

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on caliber and setup. I would use a 20 MOA rail and you should be fine. The reticle will add additional distance. I haven’t taken mine out that far so I’m curious if anyone else on here has and how far they could shoot.
I have a 20 MOA on my Bergara HMR 6.5 Creedmoor. Works good enough for me with the Viper PST at the moment but am seriously eyeing this Tract scope. Seems like better glass for a better experience behind the scope, I'm looking to enhance my ability to spot shots (already have a Hellfire brake)

Thanks for the reply (y)

I have a 20 MOA on my Bergara HMR 6.5 Creedmoor. Works good enough for me with the Viper PST at the moment but am seriously eyeing this Tract scope. Seems like better glass for a better experience behind the scope, I'm looking to enhance my ability to spot shots (already have a Hellfire brake)

Thanks for the reply (y)
Sure! That sounds like a sweet setup.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@Justin Crossley just published Jim's final review on the Toric. I was surprised how much Jim liked this scope! Full review at link below:

trac-bull-2.jpg

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the write-up! I have had a Toric 4-20x50 in the regular MRAD crosshair reticle for over a year. Very impressed with its build quality and performance. If they could knock about 8 oz off the weight I would love it more, but looking around at truly comparable scopes it’s about par for weight.
I had considered switching to one in the MRAD PRS reticle, but after reading your observations about the floating dot for hunting applications, I may just hold what I’ve got.

Choog

FNG
I have the Toric 4-20x50 with the MRAD PRS reticle. Took it elk hunting this year. Love the scope but can confirm that reticle isn't the best for hunting. Eventually I'll build a long range rifle and move it to that gun and probably buy another Tract to replace on my hunting rifle. I think you get a lot of bang for your buck with this scope.