Tract, SWFA, Nightforce, or ?

ChrisAU

WKR
For me on a hunting rifle I want second focal plane because I keep my power turned down for close quick shots in timber and FFP is tough to see in good daylight and not quick for me. Once I turn FFP up to 9-10 power then I don’t mind it but to me that is too much power for quick target acquisition shots when an animal may be moving through trees and you are winded. Depends on intended use FFP vs SFP but for me tight dark timber is the majority of my use and I still want the ability to practice further and dial for a shot on an animal if necessary. I could care less moa vs mil it’s just a number and both work. I’ve used Moa more and tend to think that way but a friend has a huskemaw that i shoot long range with which is 1/3 Moa instead of 1/4 so basically mil gradation increments and it works fine just a little different correction math.

Not knocking you, but I see this broad generalization (that I also believed) all the time and it's not a 100% right. Just like SFP scopes, FFP scopes have different reticles. I've seen some that are definitely hard to see in low light, but the SWFA 3-9 isn't one of them. The low power range helps here, the reticle doesn't have to worry about blocking targets at 24x like a high power scope, it only has to run up to 9x. Here is the reticle at 3x, the thick posts really help bring your eye to the center in low light:

PICT0353.JPG

joshf303

Lil-Rokslider
I've been lurking and searching threads for scope info. for a while now. I would like to upgrade my Leupold VXII 2-7x33 with something with more magnification and a turret for dialing. I dial with my Leupold by removing the dust cap and using the ege of it to dial elevation. It works, but it's kind of wonky if the aniimal is changing distances. The scope will go on my Tikka 300wsm, which is my do everything rifle for AK big game. I do some backpack hunts for dall sheep so weight is a consideration. I'd like to get more proficient and have a scope to make 500-700 yard shots with confidence. In my research I was amazed that so many higher end scopes fail to track and return to zero. I would like a scope that tracks properly. I would rather dial than use a BDC type reticle. I would like to keep it around $800. My first choice seems to be the Tract Toric UHD 3-15x42 followed by the SHV 3-10x42 and SWFA 3-15x42. I like that the Toric turrets have a zero stop and they easily "lock" so they don't get bumped. They also look like they don't stick out as far as other turrets. I did not find many reviews on the Tract Toric. They are 10% off through Veterans Day......what do you think?

Of those 3 listed the NF 3-10 SHV wins hands down. They have never failed to track, hold zero or RTZ for me and they got shot ALOT. The ONLY reason I still don't own one is because the refuse to offer one in MILs. IF they did, I'd easily restock a couple.

I use a lot of SWFA stuff and the 3-15 is the worst of the line IMO. It might as well be a 3-10/11 as resolution nose dives after that and there is a great amount of "tunneling". The 3-9s and fixed Xs are bulletproof. The reticle is quite usable for anybody that learns to use them and regularly applies them to their use. I've packed exposed turrets miles horseback, in a Kifaru Gunbearer, on ATVs, on the truck floorboard, etc, etc and have never had an issue with the knob being off zero.

Tract....I wouldn't waste me money on one again. RTZ and ability to hold zero were all over the place for me.

Lawnboi

WKR
After having a couple different ffp and sfp scopes, actually a number of them listed in this thread, Iv come to the conclusion that ffp vs sfp for close shots comes down to the reticle for me. As seen above the 3-9 swfa reticle is still very usable throughout its range, atleast for me it is. It’s on the thick end of your goal is making little holes in paper but about perfect for a hunting rifle, also it’s very very simple to use.

Iv had other ffp scopes that the reticle is so thin it’s almost unusable for a hunter at low power. Again this depends how you hunt.

Iv had a couple swfa scopes including the 3-9HD which is my favorite and still in my possession. Along with an SHV in 4-14 in the f1 and sfp version. If you don’t care about a zero stop, parallax, or illumination, the SWFA is a great little scope. I hauled it all over this fall and it’s accounted for 5 deer. Very happy thus far with it. That said if you want more features I don’t think your going wrong with the SHV, just determine how you plan to use the scope and pick accordingly. I also think the moar reticle is very usable for a hunting reticle in ffp, just not as simple as the mil quad on the SWFA.

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
I might add that I have used Leupold all of my life and all of my rifles have Leupold scopes. I have no complaints with them. I admit that I have not done a true tracking test, but the little dialing that I have done they seem to return to zero. The Leupold VX3i 4-14 looked nice, but you guys say it won't track.....
I have the exact VX3i you mentioned above w the CDS dial and have zero issues w tracking. Im more than happy with it

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You run a 3x9 out to 1200 yards on a 12 inch target? You must have vision that’s way better than 20/20. That’s impressive.

That’s kind of like shooting a a 12” target with no magnification at 133 yards. Not exactly ground breaking.