Tract Toric 15x56

Hoodie

WKR
Anybody had their hands on these? Curious how they compare to other big bino offerings in the price range (Meostar, Maven B5, Kaibab, etc.)

I briefly had the 10x42 Toric and thought it was impressive at the price point. The eye-cups made the 17mm of eye relief a little tight for my glasses so I returned them. Looks like the 15x56 has just a smidge more to work with.

OP
H

Hoodie

WKR
Well my curiosity got the best of me and I pulled the trigger on a pair from Amazon. I've got the Athlon 15x56 currently (which retail for about $300 less). I'll do a little comparison and post the results for anyone curious about the mid-range big binocular offerings.

I've had the original Japan-made Vortex Kaibab before, and briefly owned the Maven B5. I'll try to make comparisons from memory with those.

OP
H

Hoodie

WKR
I did not.

I found some reviews mentioning the eye relief on the Toric might be tight for glasses wearers, so I passed. I ended up comparing the Athlon 15x56 to the Maven B5 18x56.

The Athlon is fantastic for the price. I would have kept it had the 18x magnification not been a slightly better spotter replacement for me.

The Athlon seem to be a good value but made in the PRC is negative for me but the price reflects that. Are you keeping the Maven 18x56 bins, and what's your overall opinion of them? Thanks and have a good one!

OP
H

Hoodie

WKR
The B5 is very solid. I've vacillated back and forth between spotter and 15x56 and find it to be a good middle ground for where and how I hunt.

CA control on axis is great, and it's decent toward the edges. Sweet spot is large, but not as large as the Meopta Meostar. The AK prisms make them pretty bright despite the smaller exit pupil. Overall I really like them. I can tell whether a buck or bull is decent out to a little over a mile and they are much easier to sit behind than a spotter.

I have compact Brunton and a Japanese made Cabelas spotting scopes that I seldom use and am thinking a pair of high power binoculars might make glassing more enjoyable and productive. I've read that AK prisms are found in more expensive binoculars and let in more light. I'm considering the Meopta B1 Plus 15x56 as well. Other than shorter eye relief, the Meopta gets pretty good reviews. I appreciate you sharing your experience with the Maven binoculars. Have a good weekend!

I have not had this brand, but do concur that spotting with 15x56 is an enjoyable experience with a high quality bin. I use Geovid 15x56 but lots out there. too Powerful for a hunt carry, I use a 8 or 10 pwr for that Because too much field of view is lost inside of 600 yards when on the hunt With 15x56 were I hunt.