Tract Toric UHD SCHOTT HT in 10x42 or 10x50?

DANJR

FNG
Been doing a lot of digging and looking to upgrade from a first gen pair of Vortex Diamondback 10x42's. This will be the highest in optics I will go as I personally can't justify the expense of anything higher (no judgement, just not for me). @$7-750, these are higher than I had initially looked at spending, but these seem to borderline compete with alphas glass at less than half the cost so willing to stretch a bit for a purchase that will probably last a lifetime.

My primary use will be hunting CO for Elk and Mule Deer, as well Whitetail in KS. I will use off hand frequently, but also just ordered a nice predator setup from the Cameraland guys to use for longer glassing sessions, which I'm planning to do a lot more of this year.

Current thoughts:

10x42 are more compact, seem to do okay for what I have now. 27.2oz, 5x6" 65 Deg/341 FT FOV

10x50 seems to hit the magic 5mm exit pupil all the 8x42 guys rave about for better low light clarity. 32.6 oz, 5.5x7" 58 Deg/304 FT FOV

Questions:

Will the 10x50 fit inside an Alaska Guide Creations Hybrid MAX Bino Harness? I would prefer to not have to buy another harness, but this is a secondary consideration.

Is the 10x50 and 5mm exit pupil juice worth the squeeze?

Was surprised to see the FOV lower on the 10x50mm-is this right? Seems the larger objective should provide a higher FOV than the smaller objective?

Help me decide between these two.

For the type of hunting you‘ve listed the 10x42s will likely be a better overall fit. Don’t get overly hung up on exit pupil ratios and sheer number (specification) comparisons. The true test is how they look to your eyes and how much brightness, resolution, color and overall richness of image your eyes can pull from them. I probably wouldn’t go less than 42mm for a main hunting binocular, and that size seems to be the “go to” for most, as it offers the best balance of size, weight, handling and quality of image. The 10x50s listed would get very tiresome to me after a while and their FOV is rather restrictive.

An optics decision is always a compromise of features to some degree. IMO the 10x42s sound best for the application listed, especially as a main hunting glass.

OP
D

DANJR

FNG
Thanks Sprial Horn-appreciate your feedback. I am not military or law enforcement, but am glad they are supporting these folks and this forum, so they will be getting my business eventually.

Curious to hear from any others on this piece-I'm new to nice optics game, so could use some direction from the experts on this forum.

bluumoon

WKR
Can't help with the Tracts, but I picked up a like new pair of Meostars on Ebay for ~$650, may be worth a look.

Wrench

WKR
I own the tract, meostar, noctovid.....and a lot of others in the hunt. The tract is lighter and optically equal to the meopta. Meopta has better build quality, but among the heaviest in the universe.

They're both within 10-15% of the top shelf glass. No flies on either. Find a deal and you'll be happy with either.....and 8x42 all the way.

OP
D

DANJR

FNG
Thanks for the comments. @Wrench I'm really wanting to use these binos as primary glassing tool on a tripod for at least the first year, which is why I'm really leaning towards 10x's. I don't want to add a spotter until I really need to as I'm definitely looking for legal only animals. If only buying to hang around the neck I've read enough positive of 8x here to go that direction. Tell me I'm wrong with justification and maybe I'll consider the 8x LOL.

Rodéo

WKR
Any other thoughts on 8x42 vs 10x42 vs 10x50?
I echo what wrench said about the torics and 8x42. I've had 10x42 razors, 10x50 razors, maven 9x45, leupold bx4 8x42, and 8x32 meostars, among many others. I kept the 8x42 torics and 9x45 mavens. I take the mavens on hunts with bigger country to glass and the 8x42 torics everywhere else. They are a steal at their price point, especially if you pick up used or on sale. Plus the owners of both maven and tract are a pleasure to deal with.

bird35

FNG
I have the Tract 10x42 and think they compete with glass much more expensive. Especially if you can find a demo set on the tract website. They also offer 5% off to rokslide members it is Rokslide5 i believe.

Last edited:

huffed69

FNG
I echo what wrench said about the torics and 8x42. I've had 10x42 razors, 10x50 razors, maven 9x45, leupold bx4 8x42, and 8x32 meostars, among many others. I kept the 8x42 torics and 9x45 mavens. I take the mavens on hunts with bigger country to glass and the 8x42 torics everywhere else. They are a steal at their price point, especially if you pick up used or on sale. Plus the owners of both maven and tract are a pleasure to deal with.
Between the tract 8x42 and maven 9x45, which glass do you think is better?

Conquest HDs are at EuroOptic for $750 for demos just to make you think some more.

I was waiting for a Toric sale when I found that deal.

Rodéo

WKR
Between the tract 8x42 and maven 9x45, which glass do you think is better?
Purely from a sharpness perspective, I'd give the maven's the nod. Overall, I carry my Torics far more often because of the portability (weight and size) and ease of viewing.

For the price, I still haven't looked through anything that comes close to Torics.