Tractors

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
My pa has a 99 JD 4200 compact with a 420 fel. Wont lift a ton but does all the dirt work we need and can lift a fair amount with forks on. Its got yard tires on it since a lot of the work we do is on grass but still holds its own in soft soil. Used to have a bigger massey but it was overkill for just about anything we did and wasn't big enough to pull any implements through the field.

As the guy above me said, look at the dealers in your area. If you've got a JD but dont have a dealer close, it can be a pain for servicing.

adkhunter

FNG
Kubota's are great tractors but that orange will cost you a premium in green.

Kioti are well built as well. Green costs ya green. All are made off-shore now. Case, Ford, Cub - Almost all are CNH.

One no one seems to mention is Mahindra. We picked up a 2010 model year 2 years ago for a song, plane jane, 2 wheel drive and put a loader on it. It is basically the old International platform, simple stupid and bullet proof. Need about 3 wrenches to work on it, but haven't done a thing to it except service it.

I love 4x4 but all it does is get you stucker. Loaded rear tires and a loader will get you anywhere you need to go within reason, if it doesn't you don't need to be there!

Personally I would go used in diesel pre-emissions for reliability. I would also go 45 HP minimum and get out of the homeowner class...the are way over priced for the quality.

Just my $0.02.

The best sub 100hp is what ever the best dealer net work you have close.

For big boy tractors I’m all strieger, on sub 100 had best luck with Mahindra, second choice Kubota then Case/MF and fifth slit my wrist and bend over at the JD dealership.

This isn’t opinion, I’ve used 5 different Mfg in the sub 100hp lines over the last several years

CX5Ranch

WKR
I would not leave the dealer without a loader and 4x4. Buy a set of pallet forks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kubota 4x4 L series w/ HST
Tried and proven performer with a good dealer support network should the need ever arise.

You can usually find a clean low hour used unit that’s pre-tear 4 emissions.

Grumman

WKR
I had a Kioti that was a really good tractor. I agree a loader is extremely handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
My Uncle had a Ford tractor dealership and added Kubota in the early 80’s. Parked one at my granddads farm and he called and said “get that orange Japanese crap outta here”

That thing is still going strong.....

MtnOyster

WKR
I'm giving thought to upgrading from my 1950's Ferguson diesel to a newer compact tractor in the 30-40hp range. Old Fergie still starts and runs great with only a minor seal leak.
I would like a front end loader and easier 3pt attachment. I'm not a farmer and changing implements (rhino brush hog, box blade, disc and a harrow) now requires too much time, sweat and sailor language. Primarily needed for brush hog work (not finish mowing), big gardening (dirt moving), and rarely snow removal. I know every square inch of my property (20ac) and have never needed 4wd but I'm open to that option if I can hear where it's typically needed. I've also never had a loader but I know I can put it to good use.

Reliability and longevity are important features for me. I take care of stuff and and this would be stored out of the weather.

Suggestions on brands? Green paint seems expensive but if it's worth it on that size tractor then I would still include it as an option. Thanks
I farm and have from 30hp up to 180hp tractors, I also have trackhoes, backhoes and bulldozers, not to mention I work for a utility company and operate their equipment also.
I think for what your doing i'd look for a used John Deere, Case or as stated Kubota, they're all pretty good tractors, I don't know much about some of the newer over seas or generic brands that's out there...…….

Wrench

WKR
My cub was the same as mahindra which is powered by a mitsubishi. That has to be the best cold weather starting diesel ever. My welder has a kubota diesel and it has never started half as fast as the mitsubishi. 10 below zero and 3 seconds later it's running smooth. It takes 2 mins with my kubota.

I still own a Ferguson TO 30 but sold all the other "orchard tractors" that I grew tired of having to keep running. Once I sold the other three tractors I did a lot of research and dealer visits. I bought a Kubota L3800 HST 4X4 new in 2011. 0% financing at the time. I now have 176 hours on it and have zero regrets. Our local rental yard guy has run Kubotas for years and his comment was simple your tractor will outlive you and I was 43 at the time.

Not idling at all huntsman it's seasonal work I farm 200 navel orange trees here in So Cal. Outside of December to March the tractor may run once a week. Is what it is for the time being. Once I have the chance to move out of this state back to the midwest it will be used on my farm in IL for many more hours.

Our's is a 2003 43 HP JD 4600 MFWD w/HST with FEL and backhoe. About 2300 hrs on it (not all mine, bought it used 11 yrs ago). We sure have done a lot of work with it! It is quite capable with a 3/8 CY bucket that easily detaches. I also have a rock bucket that is a bit much for the tractor but has saved days of rock picking on our property. The pallet forks were barely used around the house build. Parts are still available at our dealer 6 km away but have the unit has only needed a wheel seal to date.

Last edited:

netman

WKR
I have a Kubota L3400 for exactly what you want and need. It’s very versatile too. There is a backhoe attachment that I have my eyes on. I have a finish mower on the back for mowing my grass. It’s a 4x4 too

Attachments

• DCC538E3-C44C-4298-85BD-398927C0CA8E.jpeg
    DCC538E3-C44C-4298-85BD-398927C0CA8E.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 21

kipper09

WKR
Ventrac. Sold all my other equipment and it will do it all. I mow, brush hog, move dirt, and push snow with it. Sold my zero turn and 43 hp Massey and don’t regret it one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a Kubota m59 4 wheel drive with a removable backhoe and a quick attachment on the front bucket allowing multiple implements. I have pallet forks with grapple,bucket,auger and hay spear. It’s the handiest machine on a ranch I’ve ever been around. Bigger than what you need but they make 2 smaller units.

Our local rental yard guy has run Kubotas for years and his comment was simple your tractor will outlive you and I was 43 at the time.

Anyone can say that, but I know that my old Ford 4000 (loader and backhoe) and 8n (3pt and PTO) have actually done so (to their PO's).

Probably several times over...

At a fraction of the cost...

The only thing I wish either had was a cab. Yeah, I like old iron. Wouldn't turn down new, but can't justify the cost for my $$.

litewings

FNG
I have a Kioti. Its my 3rd one in many years. They have been the best pieces of equipment I've owned. Not a single problem with any of them, ran them all to 1000 hrs when I traded or sold and bought new. Loader and 4wd a must. I use the 4wd even mowing. Helps hold the course on slopes.