Tractors

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said kubota is good. Another to look at is LS. We have been selling them for a few years now and they are actually really good tractors. An XG3038 would be a 38 HP and will do a lot. They come 4x4 and with leaders and is actually cheaper to get them with those than without. If you are looking at that HP range LS also makes the smaller new hollands gor new holland and are about 7k more through new holland. 1 other thing to think about is any tractor now over 25 HP has to run a DPF system for emissions. Most people that get them dont use them enough to let them regen and burn the soot which causes problems later. So make sure and think about how much you will be using it and if it is worth the hassle for you.

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
In nearly the exact same situation many years ago we bought an older 35 hp gas-powered John Deere Ag tractor with loader. I think I gave $2500 for it. See the signature below for more info. We still have that machine, and it has cost nearly nothing in maintenance while doing a ton of work. From Craigs list we found a 5 foot mower, wide front and narrow front, aux power out, a water pump, a grading blade, and a post hole drill. If you are comfortable doing basic maintenance, those old American-built utility tractors with their category II implements are a steal right now. There simply isn't any used market for all that stuff, and they were built to work forever. Today the JD, Massey, Case, and such older utility tractors from the 1950s through the 1970s just sit out behind the barn hoping for work. You can get one of those for what amounts to spare change relative to a newer machine. Then you can get the work done while waiting for the right little cute 4wd diesel HST to drop into your lap.

If you're not going to run it enough to work the def system, I'd look at generations prior. There's probably nothing you can't do with a JD 4020D and will probably be more tractor for less $$$ than you'd get new.

Aside from that I would only consider brands where a dealer is close by. There all pretty deceent now (aside from the emissions stuff) and it tuurns into a ford vs chevy vs dodge debate.

Yanmar 424 (24hp) will have faster/stronger hydraulics than Kubota. The 347 (47hp) has a i-HMT (hydro-mechanical transmission) which gives you the best of both worlds- you don't have to shift or clutch but you still get instant wheel power and you don't have the power loss a standard hydrostatic has. 235 (35hp) is a really sweet all around tractor. You can get the 235 and 347 with or without cabs. They do have a regen system but it doesn't make you stop and rap out your tractor for a while like some tractors do. They have really good Warranty (I think 5 year 2500 hr.) but you probably won't need it. Price wise they are cheaper than deere and comparable to the Kubota but if you add on the extras at Kubota, the Yanmar will be cheaper for apples-apples comparison. I worked at a dealership and we sold dozens in the last several years and haven't had any trouble to speak of.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I have a John Deere 3025e and it has plenty of power for its size for around the yard and dirt work. I really like it so far, plus it doesn’t have the emissions requirements yet.

0067359B-E540-49E0-9B0E-3746378679DB.jpeg

I bought a JD 4020 diesel at auction two years for $8700. I knew the farmer that owned it for its lifetime and the mechanic that serviced it so was happy to grab it for that price. Nice deck mower on the back and more than enough horsepower.

I'm with the rest of the guys here,find a good dealership in your area and stick with the major manufacturers, jd,Kubota,New Holland....the rest of them the dealers don't seem to stick around long, with the major manufacturers you get bigger dealer networks and more parts availability down the road.

I have several Kubota's from 50 to 110 HP. They get the job done, but I'm with others who say whatever dealership is the better one in your area. I only stick with Kubota because I'm good friends with the owner of the dealership and get great deals.

Having said that, if I had to go out of my zone I would try a Mahindra. I know many people that have them and never heard one complaint. They don't have a DPF for emissions and usually they throw pretty sweet deals for them and sell the tractor with a box blade and brush hog and a trailer to haul them on for about the price of only a Kubota tractor of the same HP.

Moose63Pa

FNG
If you are the type of person who likes to repair and service his own equipment, I would look for something a bit older. As others have stated, a compact 4x4 will probably weigh less than your current tractor. Weight means a lot with these smaller tractors. A heavy 6' brush hog will be a handful on a compact tractor handling wise. There are numerous companies that make quick attach frames for the 3 point hitches. As long as the implements are designed for it, hook up is fairly painless. As for the front end loader, I would try to stay with a Skid Steer Quick Attach system, as that allows you to purchase buckets, forks, or anything else fairly easily used. Also consider if you will need the 3rd hydraulic valve for the loader. It will give you the ability to use a grapple, power angle plow or anything else that has its own hydraulic system.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 30hp New Holland and it works great for us. As others have mentioned, a couple of my favorite things that can be had on any brand. The quick attach bucket so I can use my forks which I use a lot, add sodium to rear tires for traction and I added some J hooks that someone makes, similar to the ones that were previously posted to my 3pt arms for an easy implement change. I was tired of fighting it every time I changed.