trad bow shooting tip

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
I have noticed some interest in traditional bows by folks thinking about trying it. I think that's great! My first piece of advice is to learn the 3 fingers under shooting technique. For close range shooting I think it is the way to go!

Rod

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, it doesn't hurt to be experimental! I started with split finger like many shooters & after a year of it I went to 3 under, a year of that & I tried split again & found that I was much more consistently accurate with 3 under & have stayed that way since. Each shooter can be different so find what works & master that style!

ElkNut1

OP
Rod

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
I shot split finger for 25 years, last 5 years 3under.

Another tip: Blank bale shooting for good form. Does not matter what style you shoot!

jags

FNG
What are you guys using for your anchor point than?

I played with it last summer for a bit but it just didn't feel right so went back to split finger.

OP
Rod

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
I anchor middle finger on upper jaw tooth near corner of mouth. Try to find a hard tissue anchor.

I agree with Rod, hard tissue for an anchor. I'm double anchoring with my first knuckle past my thumbnail on my earlobe and my nose on the tip of my feather. I'm new to traditional archery and am trying to learn and go about it the best way I can find. My tip would be to check out Rick Welch's DVD on his site, dakotabows.com. If you guys didn't know he's a world champion IBO traditional archer. He offers a shooting school, but for an affordable option I went with the DVD and hope to attend his class within a year or two (Poor college kid ;) ). I've read nothing but good reviews on his school and DVD and he has been very helpful with my questions over the phone. His method makes a lot of sense to me and I think it will provide a ton more consistency than I've had when I first dilly dallied in traditional archery in high school.

Good thread, best of luck guys.

Tyler

OP
Rod

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
I have mr. Welch's dvd also. Another very good reference is the Master of the Barebow series. Rod Jenkins is a world champ also & I like his technique.

Rod Jenkin's shooting also seems like an accurate way to shoot, I guess he obviously proves that ;). Anyone use Stu Miller's Dynamic Spine Calculator?? I figured up some arrows using it and ordered them last night. I've read great reviews on it and it makes it easy for me to order them fletched from Mountain Archery since I don't have arrow building materials and don't like how my local pro shop has treated me in the past.

Tyler

OP
Rod

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
Always end your pratice sessions with a good shot. It helps build confidence.

I am sure some of you guys have more tips, lets hear them.

Rod

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Shooting 50 arrows a day only giving 50% won't be as good as shooting 3 arrows and giving 110%. Quality not quantity. I personally shoot one arrow a time and retrieve it. There are few times you will get a second shot.

Rod, I like your point. I also agree with Broken Arrow. I think shooting one arrow at a time allows you to mentally reset and fully concentrate on your next shot. Something that I'm going to work into my shooting more towards hunting season is shooting each shot from a different distance and angle. I think I could really sharpen my game and would be more realistic of a hunting situation. Great tips guys keep em coming

Tyler

Lost Arra

FNG
Growing up we used hay bales for targets with paper plate vitals.
My dad would never let us put that paper plate in the center of the bale. We would have to place it right or left of center just like a deer walking right or left.
He always said if you shoot the center of your target, you will shoot the center (gut) of a deer.

So now 45 years later when I make rectangular bag targets with 100# coffee bags I still shoot in that right or left vital area, never the center. It's just a habit and I do think it helps.

+1 on the single arrow practice. Also never shoot the same distance two shots in a row except when just working on form.

One of the hardest things to practice around here for elk hunting is uphill shots. No mountains in Okla so I have to find a deep creek bed and shoot from the bottom into a target near the top.

OP
Rod

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on one arrow at time, i have never paper tuned, not that i shouldn't just that i shoot 4 fletch & do not have flight issues.
Lost arra: i like that idea. Also no mountains in iowa to shoot up hill or down. Hopefully i will be able to adjust if i ever get a shot at an elk!!

marshrat

FNG
I'm still learning the trad bow myself, but I hated the split finger. I am way more accurate with three under. Good look. I have been shooting for three months now, and I love it. The compound is put up, but I don't think I'm quite ready to give it up completely. I did get my second trad bow, and it should be here in a few days.

Saw a vid about one week ago by a guy with lots -0- shooting awards.
He said you need to get the arrow under the "center" of your eye. Looked through a couple mags that were in the downstairs "library" and found pictures of Rod Jenkins with what looks like the string right in the center of his eye. He shoots the bow totally vertical....I just can not do that even in only practice rounds, I cant to a 45. Then I thought about how people site in their rifles at a bench...they are facing the target. The cross hairs are over the "center" of the eye. Most of us when we shoot our bows if we were to put an arrow across our toes the arrow would point at the target. Instead of that foot placement I put my feet at a 45 from the target so that my feet were pointing at 10 o'clock if an arrow was on my toes. Give this a try you will be amazed:)

marshrat

FNG
I tried the split finger twice and completely missed the target both times. That was it for me.