Trad

Wrench

WKR
I'll say one of the biggest errors I've made wad last year. I had a nice bull at full anchor looking away....nothing was anything but perfect.....except for the call in my cheek, which pushed my anchor out a scoche....which caused a slight left miss and squarely stuck my perfect shot in the bulls humerus.

Total disappointment watching it snap off and walk away.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I try to push in close to where deer bed and then setup and either catch them coming or going. Works great on early season bucks before the rut starts.

Yep. Smaller meadows with closer range shots, more tactful ambush places, shorter set ups, stalk closer and then call them in. Precise shot opportunities even if you have to let them walk by to get the quartering away shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
With the exception of pigs, ambush is more productive for me. Elk usually require some stalking and repositioning before getting into an ambush position unless there is a good known water hole.

I read somewhere that when a hunter is moving and the prey is stationary, the advantage is to the prey since they are on alert.
When the hunter is stationary and the prey is moving, the advantage is to the hunter.

That is usually my plan but with a recurve I see a lot more animals than I get shots at.

I’m sure in agreement with you all , I find with elk it’s tough to get a shot with a trad now while calling them in.

I’ve had much more success after I figured out to get in front of the herd and get in a spot where I can get an ambush chance.

oldgoat

WKR
@oldgoat what you running for a decoy and how do you use it most often?
Geez, tried about all of them, I like the Montana because they are lightweight, don't use the stakes that come with them, hang them between trees with bungy cords that have clips on the end, also have a heads up that I'll stick on a branch. Bought Carlton's 3d one but haven't used it yet, basically I just try to set them so they can be seen from approach routes, sometimes they work, sometimes they spook them but they always take their eyes off me! I actually used my Be The Decoy elk hat this year stalking in on some sheep, ended up being rams and I had a ewe tag, but those suckers started following me for a little ways trying to figure out what the hell that was!

Attachments

• IMG_20200906_190225083_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20200906_190225083_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 42

oldgoat

WKR
@oldgoat what you running for a decoy and how do you use it most often?
Geez, tried about all of them, I like the Montana because they are lightweight, don't use the stakes that come with them, hang them between trees with bungy cords that have clips on the end, also have a heads up that I'll stick on a branch. Bought Carlton's 3d one but haven't used it yet, basically I just try to set them so they can be seen from approach routes, sometimes they work, sometimes they spook them but they always take their eyes off me! I actually used my Be The Decoy elk hat this year stalking in on some sheep, ended up being rams and I had a ewe tag, but those suckers started following me for a little ways trying to figure out what the hell that was!View attachment 269465

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Beendare care to give any examples on how you setup your decoys? I mean you started the discussion after all Hahaha so let's hear it.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Montana decoy and I use it sometimes to stalk up on deer. Gotten pretty close, never taken a shot though.

I've never tried using it in the bush but maybe I will this year.

Geewhiz

WKR
I don't have too much experience with trad gear, but I did kill one bull. I tend to be an active hunter especially when it comes to elk. I have such a hard time sitting and waiting for days on end when I could be hitting the hills. If you catch bulls in the right mood at the right time of year, often times they will come easily inside trad ranges. Think if you would have waited on your 30 yard shot with your compound, would he have come to 15? I think often times yes.

The thrill to me isn't sitting and waiting, its being active and beating them at their own game. If I can challenge a bull in a Christmas tree patch and pull him in to 7 yards and stick an arrow in him, that's where it at for me.

Run and gun baby. I can't tell you how many times I have literally run trying to cut off an elk or get a better position, or violently thrashed trees and bushes, or ran down a hill purposely kicking every rock I could find. Elk are incredibly active and at times very loud and aggressive. If you want to get up close and personal, act like them. I don't think I will be caught anytime soon sitting for days on water.

Tried a decoy once, didn't work, never tried it again. Although I'm sure in certain situation it would be the key to success.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I worked a decoy with a pard last season. I tried to call a bull through my pard the decoy hung the elk up.

I think I would go heads up over a Montana to draw elk and a Montana for cover moving through elk....if that makes sense.

The single biggest advantage I've found is knowing thermal patterns and hunter access patterns and using those to herd elk to "the next logical place".

I hunt NE WA and Idaho panhandle and elk here do not tend to cover miles when spooked and often will only put on 600ish yards....but given the terrain, that might as well be 12 miles because you can't trail them in and hooking them in the blow downs and brush is certainly ambitious.

oldgoat

WKR
I don't have any pictures of setups with decoys, but kind of imagine a funnel that you are calling elk towards and you put them in the bottom of the funnel and sit farther up the funnel at the edge so hopefully the elk comes in and stops short of decoy. It's not like turkeys where you set up so the elk can see the decoy a long way off, I want them to come to calls looking for elk, but not be able to see the decoy too soon where they can tell something is weird before they are in range.

I hunt NE WA and Idaho panhandle and elk here do not tend to cover miles when spooked and often will only put on 600ish yards....but given the terrain, that might as well be 12 miles because you can't trail them in and hooking them in the blow downs and brush is certainly ambitious.
Preach.