Trad Vane ass whoopin

Im trying to put 3” trad vanes on with a right helical Bitz clamp. I ground down the nose of the clamp for clearance but still seems impossible to get all surfaces of the trad vane to contact the shaft simultaneously. An edge somewhere is always not touching. Im thinking the helical of the clamp has too much ass in it for the short 3” vane.

Any tricks or ideas? Use a straight clamp? Go back to feathers like the real OGs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratbeetle

WKR
I dont have much to offer other than I really don't like my bitz for vanes. Works great with feathers but I always have issues with vanes. After years of tinkering, I finally have mine where I can get about 97% contact with short vanes.

Blackcow

WKR
Adjust the dials( and probably not much) and leave a bit of vane showing between the base and the clamp, like a 16th, and make sure the whole vane has contact before pushing the clamp down to the base.

Rob5589

WKR
Definitely play with the adjustment knobs. Took some playing but it worked with 4" trad vanes. I tired the Arizona but the vane's base was too narrow.

Last edited:
If the nose of the clamp is contacting and you can't get it out of the way with the dials, build up the portion of the clamp where the vane us with tape. I have used both hvac foil tape, and electrical tape with good results.

Are you using micro shafts?

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
I can probably make you some adapters for 3" vanes at any angle you want that will help the vanes contact the shaft along the full length. The original thread describing these is below. If interested, PM with the details fo which arrow shaft and which vane you want to use.

OP
shoeshineman
Yes, I've been adjusting the dials. I'm starting to wonder if it might be my adhesive. I'm using gorilla glue gel. It has a relatively very gooey viscosity when wet and seems to thin out when it dries. Im guessing the change in thickness during drying cycle might be causing clearance/contact issues.

What glue is everyone successful with?

Wrench

WKR
I use thin super glue. I have had good luck with the gorilla as well as the high dollar adhesives. I did have a batch of yellow vanes that would not stick for any reason.

Rob5589

WKR
Yes, I've been adjusting the dials. I'm starting to wonder if it might be my adhesive. I'm using gorilla glue gel. It has a relatively very gooey viscosity when wet and seems to thin out when it dries. Im guessing the change in thickness during drying cycle might be causing clearance/contact issues.

What glue is everyone successful with?
Gorilla gel for me, no problems once I had the clamp dialed in. AAE recommends their arrow wipes and not cleaning the vane base for proper adhesion. That's exactly how I did them.

OkayestHNTR

Lil-Rokslider
AAE Max Bond (no wipes or pen) onto a wrap and no issues with the 2 dozen I have done. That’s 3” and 4” vanes, right helical, adjusted to 1.5-2 degrees on the dial according to the DCA angle tool. Tried Pine Ridge stuff once when I couldn’t find the AAE bottle and that was no go.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I use my Bitz for 3" four fletch right helical. I leave about 1/16th of an inch sticking out of clamp and it works perfect. If you look at the trad vane there is a very faint line right above the base of the vane where it transitions into the vane itself. clamp it right there and you dont have to grind on your bitz.

Bails-UK

FNG
Yeah, I've tried the trad vane 4", tried 3x fletch right helical and 4x fletch right helical on Easton Camo Hunters, I've only had one vane come off(out of 5 arrows fletched), but I've never had a feather come off, so it kinda knocks the confidence for me using them in Colorado this year, as I'm still chasing my first Elk. I'm going to try them again on my GT Traditionals and see how they go, will let you know how it goes.

reddcbxo

FNG
Arizona easy fletch works awesome with trad vanes! I sold my blitz years ago and run the Arizona mini fletch for everything these days.
Any tips on adhesion? I’m using the mini fletch and have tried Gorilla Glue cyanoacrylate in the thin and the gel versions, but many of the vanes don’t get good adhesion. I’m not using wires in the vanes, and I have tried stopping down the carbon shaft (Easton Nano) with both isopropyl alcohol and acetone.
Thanks!

WoodBow

WKR
I use loctite professional liquid superglue. Blue bottle at walmart. Zero issues putting on trad vanes with my bitz.

One thing you can do if you are consistently not getting contact in a particular area, is hump up that section of the vane in the clamp just a hair.

MCR

FNG
Buy an Arizona EZ Fletch mini max you will love how easy it is and it really puts a nice helical on it.

MCR

FNG
I use AAE max bond on some onesgtringer arrow wraps and I couldn't pull them off if I tried. You don't need any type activator on the AAE trad vanes.