Trad vanes adhesion issue....anyone else seeing this?

Wrench

WKR
4x90* 3" trad vanes super glued to painted carbon shafts. Shafts were painted 4 months ago.

All mounted with a bitz all the same bottle of glue, same day, same installer.....nothing different except for the color.

2 yellows and 2 whites per shaft. 100% failure rate on my yellows, 100% success on the white.

Anyone else running into this? White 2 fletch actually stabilizes fine for my stump arrows.....but I need good results on my hunting arrows and I can't rely on white arrows since we can't use lighted nocks.

Feedback welcome.

Might be the pigment in the yellow? I've had mixed results with adhesion. Clean the arrows with acetone and use the same Gorilla glue. Sometimes I get good adhesion others not. Went to adding wraps and no issues! Just glued up a dozen arrows yesterday, damp and cool, was having issues with adhesion. Found some wraps and no more issues.

PHo

WKR
Very interesting...if it helps, I use wraps and gorilla super glue and never had a problem with yellow, black, and red trad vanes.

OP
W

Wrench

WKR
I'm using loktite 406 which is among the better ca that can be had.

oldgoat

WKR
I used to rough up my vanes on an emory board before applying, might be an idea. I know some companies apply a chemical, don't ask me how, to their vanes to aid in adhesion, maybe the one color didn't get enough?

oldgoat

WKR
I’ve had issues with multiple aae vanes in the past when not using the primer pen. I always use it now and never have issues with them coming off.
I almost mentioned I thought there was some kind of primer thing, but I wasn't sure if I was thinking of the right application. I think that might be your ticket!

ShakeDown

WKR
Primer pen and AAE Maxbond is the ticket here. I do use wraps.

I also do a dab of Bohning Fletch Tite on the front and rear of the vane... those suckers stick.

I use dawn dish soap in hot water on aae vanes. I haven't had issues with the trad vanes aside from the tiny ass base to put glue on. Regular gorilla super glue for glue, acetone the shafts, wash the vanes. No issues for me, but no yellow vanes.

I'm betting it's the release agent they get covered in.

i use 4" wraps, and gorilla gel (with the little side squeeze bottle) or the loctite gel and have not had a single issue with yellow, sunrise, pink or white

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
I had troubles with green tradvanes on white painted shafts. About a 30% failure rate for adhesion out of the 50 pack. Used aae max bond, with wipes and primer pen.

The ones that did stick are still holding up strong after a year. Mind you I find them finicky to form imperfection and will kick nock high, so they are reserved for terrible weather backup arrows, not everyday hunting arrows.

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
I've listened to a few guys having issues. I've also heard that the Arizona EZ fletch is the way to go for fletching those puppies. With AAE glue as well

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
I had trouble with the ez fletch. The channel for the glue will fall through the ez fletch slot. So guys recommended putting done a piece of tape and cutting your own slit I just haven’t tried it yet

I use wraps and have never had a trad vane fall off using AAE fastset and bob smith industries maxi cure. I’ve never cleaned the base of a trad vane. The package says do not clean base of vane. The primer is already applied.

OP
W

Wrench

WKR
I have several hundred of these and one batch of yellow has had a 100% fail rate. Every other batch is holding tight.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Anyone have issues getting the rear 3/4” of the trad vanes to stick with an ez fletch? I assume I just suck, cannot get that last part to stay on a shaft to save my life.