Trade or no?

Have a Rem 700 .270 BDL w/ Nikon 2x8 up for sale, gentleman offered a Weatherby Vanguard 7mm RM w/ Leopold 3x9 VX2 for a trade. Would y’all make that deal?

16Bore showing off his sweet disposition once again. :D

If you're looking for a 7mm, I think that's a fair trade. There really is nothing magical about the 700, other than some romantic notions by those so inclined, and perhaps an advantage in aftermarket stocks if you are so inclined.

The Vanguard is the same rifle as the Howa 1500, and is very reliable and accurate. I prefer the Howa/Vanguard actions to the Rem 700 for a number of reasons. You're starting to see folks build off the Howa/Vanguard actions and prefit barrels for them are becoming more available, using a barrel nut. That's because people are learning how accurate and reliable those actions are. One thing about the Vanguard is that it's not a light rifle. But in a 7mm you may not be looking for that.

Personally, I don't think you're giving up anything and you might be gaining a little accuracy.

Besides, we all know .284 projectiles are better than .277's :D

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
Whatever tickles your giggle toggle.

I'd rather have a .270 than a 7 mag, personally. But i'm also not wanting or trying to wallop stuff 4 counties over.

Wapiti1

WKR
Depends on which version of each rifle. One of the better Vangards like an accuguard or backcountry (unlikely), yes. The plastic fantastic version, probably not. The wood stocked version with nicer wood? Maybe. Standard wood stocked Remington?

Do you want something with more poop than a .270?

I see the Vanguard as pretty much equivalent to a Rem 700. Lot of aftermarket parts, and you can build on either action to make what you want.

Neither is a wrong choice. Depends on what you want.

Jeremy

My son had a vanguard in 7mm mag wood stock. Didn't work for either of us tremendously felt recoil compared to my lighter savage 116 7mm mag. My vote is no.