Trade Thoughts??

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
I may trade my S&W Model 29 4" for a Ruger Redhawk 4". My M-29 was made in the early 1980's and S&W recommends only 240 gr. factory loads used in it. With the Ruger I can shoot much heavier loads and am considering trading for that reason alone, but still a bit undecided. The M-29 is in mint condition, and I do mean mint. I bought it and just never shot it much as other guns were added to the safe. I thought for the occasional fly fishing trip to WY and/or MT the Redhawk may be comforting to have. I'm open to opinions, that's why I posted this.

Thanks.

Wrench

WKR
I have both. The smith is a nicer gun and the small bit of strength premium the ruger offers is not worth the bulk in my opinion. The smith will shove a 240 or a 300 stoked with h110/296 as hard as you'll want to hold onto. I have a 329 that's been back to smith for a few blast shields and trigger parts.....it's eaten thousands of these loads.

If you were looking to shove a 45lc hard, the ruger makes sense, but in 44 I believe you're going backwards.

Fwiw, I have killed deer with my 329 which is just a 4" scandium 29/629 and at 80 steps passed a 240 clear through. I have sent a hardcast lengthwise through a whitetail as well.

B23

WKR
I bought a 7 1/2 inch Ruger Redhawk 44mag back in the mid 80's. Loaded it with 22.8gr 2400 with Hornady 240gr the load was well over max. I put countless rounds of that load through it and it was the most accurate revolver or handgun of any type I've ever owned.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
If someone is looking to buy a new production gun, I say get a Redhawk all the way. The current Ruger is way better. The contemporary S&W wheel guns are complete junk in my opinion. I just can't get over the two-piece barrels and the Hillary Clinton hole in the frame.

For the vintage gun you are talking about, I think it is a different story. I have a 4" 629 from 1984 that I had customized at Magnaport, and it is my go to for the woods when I am not carrying a Glock 20. I also have a SRH Alaskan in .454, but the 629 is just lighter and handier. Frankly the 2.5" bbl on the SRH is a limitation.

If you do decide to part with your vintage 29, you should post it on here or maybe on GB. They command a premium that you will not realize in a trade at a shop.

JiminAZ

FNG
I lived in Alaska for 10 years, still work there and spend significant time there every year in the summer.

That minty blued 29 will bring real top dollar, especially if you have the box and docs. IIRC anything 29-4 or lower is money. So you can easily turn that 29 into $1000+ for a nice unmolested 29. I may be a buyer!

Frankly a blued gun just doesn't fare well in rain/sweat etc out fishing and traipsing around hunting, etc.

I'd be inclined to get a 629 for carry. The Smith really is a nicer gun.

Nothing wrong with a Redhawk though. Carried a 5.5" for years in Alaska. Was pretty easy to shoot well even with a so-so trigger.

Now I carry a 329. Joy to carry but it slaps you hard with real deal bear loads.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I lived in Alaska for 10 years, still work there and spend significant time there every year in the summer.

That minty blued 29 will bring real top dollar, especially if you have the box and docs. IIRC anything 29-4 or lower is money. So you can easily turn that 29 into $1000+ for a nice unmolested 29. I may be a buyer!

Frankly a blued gun just doesn't fare well in rain/sweat etc out fishing and traipsing around hunting, etc.

I'd be inclined to get a 629 for carry. The Smith really is a nicer gun.

Nothing wrong with a Redhawk though. Carried a 5.5" for years in Alaska. Was pretty easy to shoot well even with a so-so trigger.

Now I carry a 329. Joy to carry but it slaps you hard with real deal bear loads.
X frame grips on the 329 make a HUGE difference.

And 100% agree with everything posted here.