Traded for a couple Ruger American Predator rifles in 22-250

mcseal2

WKR
I had a couple 223 rifles in the safe I had not shot in quite a while. Both were lower end heavier barreled rifles that I had more with the intention of prairie dog hunting than predator hunting. Since I have been doing most of the haying on the ranch now I haven't been prairie dog hunting in years so I decided they should go to a new home.

I got them traded in locally and had the gun shop order me in a pair of Ruger American Predator rifles in 22-250. I'm curious how heavy of bullet I can get by with in their 1 in 10 twist barrels. Has anyone tried loading a 60 to 69gr bullet in them?" I'm considering ordering in some Sierra tipped matchking bullets in 60 and 69 grains to try. The reviews I've seen where people have used them on coyotes have been positive. If one rifle likes them better I'll use it on windy days and stick with a 52 or 55gr bullet in the other. I'm also interested in what loads or factory ammo shoots best for people who have these rifles and how they shoot in general.

These are going to be primarily truck guns for the ranch trucks. It will help me keep the nicer ones in the house more often.

Thanks everyone.

All I can tell you is that there was a big difference in groups between 45gr and 55gr for my american 22-250. The heavier 55s tightened up a lot but that was factory ammo too. I need to get some dies and try some 60s. My guess is that they will shoot even better.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I didn't care for the 1:10" twist on the American Predator's in .22-250. I shot 60gr Vmax's and they grouped fine, but preferred the 50gr out of the Hawkeye Predator .22-250 with the 1:14" twist.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I ended up going with plan B on the 22-250's. My gun dealer found that the Ruger's are back-ordered everywhere right now. He found Remington Model 7 Predators on sale for only a little more money so I ended up going with them. I will stick with lighter bullets with them. I might still end up building a fast twist 22-250 or 220 Swift down the road. I have a Remington 700 22-250 in the safe with a shot out barrel that has a HS Precision stock and Timney trigger. It will need re-built at some point.

Sodbuster

WKR
You might give Whittaker Guns in KY a call.
They had a special run of 1:8 twist Ruger 22-250's with a stainless barrel.
The were selling for 282 $. They are out of stock but hopefully have some more coming.
Swap the trigger to a Timney. 1.5 lbs. Broken in with 60 grain ballistic tips. Shoots great.
I have some 75 grain ELD m on order and waiting for the 77 grain LRX to get back in stock.
I would shoot anything in Missouri with the heavies.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
They are in stock but for $479 right now. I'll keep an eye out if they go on sale again. Thanks.

jmcd22

WKR
I shoot 50 and 55 grain Noslers through my Tikka 22-250 and love it. With the 55 grain, I am somewhere near 3800 fps and about 4000 fps with the 50 grain. We were driving tacks at 525 yards today at the range. We loaded up some Hornadys too and they shoot a bit different than the Noslers...