Trading an X Bolt SS for a MRC X3?

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
Change my mind...offer your experience and insights...perhaps steer back back to keeping the X Bolt.

Prior to their closing, I purchased an Montana Rifle Company X3 in 6.5 CM. As my man bun grew, so did my fondness for the MRC X3 as a platform. The rifle consistently produces 5/8" groups at 200 yards with factory Hornady 143grain ELD-Xs. I consider this a true 1/2 MOA gun and have shot targets out to 800 yards with ease.

Over a decade earlier, I purchased a Browning X Bolt Stainless Stalker chambered in .300 WSM. It has been my go to rifle, my do it all, and have put down animals in the lower 48, Alaska, and Africa. It was reliable and predictable. It always hovers around 1 MOA with all quality hunting ammo. It's a pleasure to carry. It works (except for the Duratouch stock which is currently being replaced at Browning as we speak).

Like the title woudl suggest, I'm considering trading/selling this X Bolt for what I would consider an improved all purpse hunting rifle chambered in a versatile .30 cal (30-06, 300 WSM, 300 WIN MAG, or 300 PRC). While I'm partial to the controlled round feed (CRF), I have lived with push feeds. With the push feeds, the CA Ridgeline, Weatherby Mark V and/or Vanguard, and Bergera Premier Series comes to mind. Any others you'd suggest exploring? The Fierce Fury would extend past my current budget contraints.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Happy Hunting!

Last edited:

EmperorMA

WKR
I would never trade an accurate Browning X-Bolt (aren’t they all!) for a MRC anything.

While I absolutely love the idea of what MRC tried to do, they were a dismal failure in every regard. Bad QC, bad CS, bad everything.

I’d trade the MRC for a new Winchester Model 70 and get a great CRF rifle built by one of the greatest firearms manufacturers in the history of the world.