Trading packing boots for trail runners

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
I have been extremely reticent to trade my hunting boots for trail runners while backpacking but I recently decided to give it a try. After reading some reviews on some of the backpackers forums I bought a pair of La Sportiva Ultra Raptors. I've used all kinds of boots over the years ranging from Meindle to Lathrop and Sons. I've worn stiffer boots like Scarpa Charmoz and more recently Scarpa SL Active. (I log about 1500 miles per year trail running in the Wasatch Mountains. I like Hoka Challengers and Saucony Peregrines for trail running.) Anyway, I took the La Sportivas on a 6-day 35 mile backpack trip in the Wind Rivers with the boy scouts. I was carrying a 56 lb pack and was super impressed with how they performed. I felt like they out performed the other boots I've worn because they were so light. My big concern was that they would not have enough torsional integrity to give me the "bite" I like to have when I go off trail or when the trail gets rough. I was also concerned that they flat out wouldn't be supportive enough while load hauling. I found them to be extremely comfortable all week. I wore trail running gaiters to keep the debris out. I also wore lightweight dry max socks and Smart Wool hiking socks.

My question for the group is whether any of you have any experience doing the same thing and what you've learned? I'm wondering whether it is only possible to trade trail running shoes for boots in the early season? Once the snow and wet weather starts to fly I assume I'll have to go back to the heavier more burly boots. I think I'll want some gore tex and more insulation.

Anyway, hopefully this experience is helpful.

twall13

WKR
You may find this thread to be of interest. There are a lot of guys (and gals) on this forum with quite a bit of experience running lighter shoes in the backcountry. I am not one of them. I really like the lighter shoes until my pack weight starts getting heavy. For that reason I've always opted for heavier boots. One day I may try it out but probably not this year.

BCSteel

FNG
I prefer trail runners for most of my up to 3 night trips. I usually use a pair of Keen Targhee 2 mids for everything longer. I'll probably go lighter next year though.

Raise the limits

Thanks for that insight gznokes. I may be the odd guy out, but if I'm doing a pack in hunt (4-5 miles) I wear my backpacking boots (Zamberlan Steeps) to the camp and put a pair of trail runners in my pack. I know it's extra weight, but it allows me to cover lots of miles in the trail runners during the day, and I still have my heavier boots if I have to pack out an animal.

slvrslngr

WKR
If you switch, choose your trail shoes wisely. My Lowa Tibet's suffered the dreaded tread separation last week while scouting. Luckily I had thrown my Cascadias in the pickup and ended up wearing them the rest of the week. They worked well except they picked up grass seeds like crazy, as in I had to stop every couple hours to pick seeds out of my shoes and socks. The very open mesh uppers work well for keeping the feet cool and relatively dry though. I'd try to find a shoe that has a more densely woven upper. On the way home I picked up a pair of UA Valsetz boots as my backup, we'll see how they work out.