Traditional Clothing

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to add some more "traditional" clothing to my arsenal such as flannels and wool products. Can any of you guys recommend some solid brands to check out? Really looking for a Flannel jacket with a windproof/resistant liner. Thanks

Cabelas used to have some really good wool and Berber fleece stuff with a wind proof liner, but I’m pretty sure Bass Pro has ruined everything decent about the brand.

You can pay $500 for a Filson one designed for hipsters to take a 1/2 mile walk in the woods in.

My Orvis clothing has all been pretty decent, not sure if they do wool though.

Just found this. Doesn’t appear to be designed for active/field use but you might look into it.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if its what you are looking for but Fjallraven makes some more traditional pieces that are very good quality.

Skinl19

FNG
I like the solid stuff from Kuiu...

The died in the wool trad guys seem to like the Asbell stuff...
I had never heard of the Asbell line before. Their prices seem very reasonable. You can buy a jacket from them for not much more than a base layer from the big names.

lonedave

WKR
Wander through the local Goodwill stores. Every so often you'll find Pendleton or Woolrich wool shirts on the rack for very nice prices. I used to do it quite often until my wife announced that I had enough of them! I used to get them for as low as $2.98 to as high as $4.98....:D

Skinl19

FNG
Wander through the local Goodwill stores. Every so often you'll find Pendleton or Woolrich wool shirts on the rack for very nice prices. I used to do it quite often until my wife announced that I had enough of them! I used to get them for as low as $2.98 to as high as $4.98....:D
I buy merino sweaters to use for hunting from thrift stores. Works well and probably not too many hunters rocking Brooks Brothers sweaters out in the woods. :)

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if its what you are looking for but Fjallraven makes some more traditional pieces that are very good quality.
I wore my Fjällräven Canada shirt out this year. Worked great when layered. Really happy with it.

And can find them for sale occasionally throughout the year on Moosejaw, Steep & Cheap, or evo.

Last edited:
I like the solid stuff from Kuiu...

The died in the wool trad guys seem to like the Asbell stuff...
Can't beat it. And, way back when, Teresa would happily add some length to the arms for us lanky folk. Maybe that's still an option? I'm not sure as I haven't had to order another in a decade or so....

I buy merino sweaters to use for hunting from thrift stores. Works well and probably not too many hunters rocking Brooks Brothers sweaters out in the woods. :)
yeah ,i ve got so much good wool and merino at the thrift shop i could supply a flock of sheep.
for s+ gs,i'm actually trying to buy some first lite off a memeber just to try it. 1 piece is really 20 wool sweaters at the thrift shop where i am from. brooks brothers, yes sir, you and i are styling
lol

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
Columbia used to make a great, inexpensive line of wool hunting clothes that I've been using for many years. Unfortunately the only place to find them now is Ebay basically. My wool flannels are all either Woolrich or LL Bean. Again, mostly from Ebay. There's also Sleeping Indian, King of the Mountain and Gray Wolf Woolens if you have lots of disposable income.

i have done a lot of that... i dove for a living for several year, the last half of that was in a dry suit, which should be called damp suits in reality... wool is best case for being damp in the ocean all day, and sometimes you find some high end wool.... i was the end user of all the wool i have bought, but treated well, some of it would have been a smoking deal.... in the winter, when it's cold and we were diving several days in a row, i would take my dive clothes to the laundry mat and dry them.... that's playing a dangerous game with wool ;)

Titan_Bow

WKR
If you have a military surplus store near you, look for the old US Army wool trousers. Those things are some of the best hunting pants out there. Over a pair of Kuiu zip off long johns, that will have you covered through a huge temperature range. One of my favorite colder weather pants.
Sierra trading post will have good deals on flannel and wool. I periodically check and just keyword search wool or merino. You’ll find non hunting items that tend to work well. I have some lightweight 100% cashmere merino quarter zip sweaters I got off there. They are charcoal grey and softer than anything I’ve ever seen from a hunting brand. I think I paid 30 or 40 bucks for them. Icebreaker had a sale a few years ago and I picked up a couple merino flannel shirts from them that l like. Also Arcteryx makes some nice flannel style synthetic button shirts. I like them because I can wear them to work and also hunting. I’m always checking the clearance racks at REI and the outlet pages online for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Columbia used to make a great, inexpensive line of wool hunting clothes that I've been using for many years. Unfortunately the only place to find them now is Ebay basically. My wool flannels are all either Woolrich or LL Bean. Again, mostly from Ebay. There's also Sleeping Indian, King of the Mountain and Gray Wolf Woolens if you have lots of disposable income.
I have a jacket and bib set of this stuff that I use for late season hunting if I don't have too much hiking to do. It's heavy as can be, but it's warm and quiet and it sheds water.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm looking to add some more "traditional" clothing to my arsenal such as flannels and wool products. Can any of you guys recommend some solid brands to check out? Really looking for a Flannel jacket with a windproof/resistant liner. Thanks

Have been working with natural fibers the last few years over synthetics. Varusteleka out of Finland has wool pants and jackets that are top shelf made in Estonia, not Asia. The Sarma TST Woolshell pants and jackets are very high quality and feature a modern more fitted cut versus boxy, baggy traditional American wool clothing. I don’t have long experience with it, but Duckworth out of Montana seems to make very high quality wool garments as well.
Aclima Woolnet base layers are quite frankly the best base layer in the market.

Red Kettle makes jackets out of Ventile cotton that actually works as they say it does- it’s incredible. Fjallravens Keb trousers are fantastic. Etc, etc. There is actually quite a bit of really good clothing made out of natural fibers that other than a small weight penalty beats synthetics at nearly every other task.

Last edited:

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted if you can find the Columbia wool it was bombproof I just sold some on here a few months ago….May sell this cabelas wind stopper jacket in xl if interested like new stops all wind but is super heavy.

Attachments

• 89B8A5A9-74DF-4C3B-8A64-94C8E54BC689.jpeg
    89B8A5A9-74DF-4C3B-8A64-94C8E54BC689.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 64