Traditional harvests

Kentucky

WKR
I had a bad shot from a seated position in the tree stand and the deer was alert. I thought I had the shot lined up well. I’m not sure if it dropped and lunged or it was a bad shot all together, I’ll take being lucky here for sure. I have noticed I either miss the deer completely or I get good shot on them, I can flat out shoot some foam from 0-40 yards, when hunting my mental process seams to float away with the wind. Every time I have a deer walk in I now tell myself “don’t rush you have time, get the shot lined up and get off the string clean.

I have never spine shot a deer prior to this one.

I hear ya.. I’m not criticizing..I tell everybody that bow hunts.. draw on every animal that comes within range.. squirrels, turkey, deer, anything.. and see if you can get to anchor without alarming animal.. I’m not saying shoot everything.. but that will let you know how careful you must be with your setup, shot selection and movement..

Mythewood

FNG
Both 15yard shots. Doe from a treestand, 30 yd recovery.
Fox from the ground, 5yard recovery. Fox didn't know what happened. Jumped on impact, spun around to see what struck him, then immediately layer down, yawned, and went to sleep. Crazy. Fox is also exceptionally good eating for the record.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 48

Lprough

FNG
First animal for the 2020 season .

September 19. Idaho

14 yard shot, 35 yard recovery

Stalker stickbow

da8ff4a362003b6f4a614f9a306013a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well he doesn't have much for antlers but I tagged this guy using an osage bow and a stone tipped arrow. I made the bow from an osage tree I cut about 250 yards from where I shot him. The wound you see is the exit - and, perhaps fittingly, I was unable to find my stone point. Hopefully some archer 200 years from now will find it!
amazing!! that takes a lot of initiative to even dedicate days in the woods with real primitive gear... i'm happy you made it happen! you probably experienced satisfaction most of us will never know... you took it further and found success!

Both 15yard shots. Doe from a treestand, 30 yd recovery.
Fox from the ground, 5yard recovery. Fox didn't know what happened. Jumped on impact, spun around to see what struck him, then immediately layer down, yawned, and went to sleep. Crazy. Fox is also exceptionally good eating for the record.
Nice. Where I’m from one of fox favorite prey are skunks. My guess they wouldn’t be very palatable. They aren’t much fun to skin.

Last edited:

TFrank

WKR
Well he doesn't have much for antlers but I tagged this guy using an osage bow and a stone tipped arrow. I made the bow from an osage tree I cut about 250 yards from where I shot him. The wound you see is the exit - and, perhaps fittingly, I was unable to find my stone point. Hopefully some archer 200 years from now will find it!
That is sweet. Congrats

Beendare

WKR
I can't wait! Headed down to hunt them for the first time in a couple weeks. You hunting muleys/coues too?
Yes sir. I can tell you a couple of the Coues I saw were in rut...but the rest no. Same with mules [there are both in this spot] A couple big mules were rutting....searching for sure and covering a lot of ground. It's dry...more than usual even though we got some rain the first day which screwed us up- comes not coming to tanks...just watering in potholes way up in the rocks.

I sat water about 50% and didn't have much come in. I stalked a couple...but passed shots on very small bucks. I did have a good mulie buck come to water that last day....but at a steel tank 50 yds away and NOT where all of the other deer had been watering. FYI, They were watering between 10;30-4;30...and all day......nothing right at dark.

I sometimes call these Javi's...but in this case they were easy to stalk. They typically squeal on the shot...which brings the rest of them running in on you ready to attack...but this one didn't make a sound.

If you are stalking in pairs...have the second guy ready....and stand stock still as they will literally run right between your legs giving the second guy a very close shot. If you flinch...you might just have them gnawing on your leg....they are very aggressive.

They are very tough to see....big glass on a tripod is the ticket. Just that little bit of movement from your binos screws you up- Javi's move slow but on a tripod they are easy to pick off.

Hope that helps.

I might be going back mid Jan if I can get some work done.

This was my first traditional bow kill! July of 2020 in Alaska. As if I wasn’t addicted to the traditional bow before this really lit the fire

Attachments

• 8D94436A-3184-4518-A3B7-0F5F4E394677.jpeg
    8D94436A-3184-4518-A3B7-0F5F4E394677.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 23
  • E9B13AAA-D9FC-43DB-A10F-D3444B595FC8.jpeg
    E9B13AAA-D9FC-43DB-A10F-D3444B595FC8.jpeg
    626.8 KB · Views: 23