Traditional muzzleloader...cleaning between shots?

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Marksman had some great advice. I have the Lyman Pedersoli GPH .50cal with the 1:24 twist and I shoot a 389gr Hornday Great Plains conical with 95gr Pyrdoex RS. I am getting 2in groups at 100yds, and can probably do better than that if I needed. After a shot I will do a spit patch, then a dry patch and then a cap. I will probably shoot about 15-20 rounds a session and then thoroughly clean the rifle.

So to answer your OP, I think you are over cleaning. I'd also like to know what you are doing for lubed bullets?

OP
Legend

Legend

WKR
Marksman had some great advice. I have the Lyman Pedersoli GPH .50cal with the 1:24 twist and I shoot a 389gr Hornday Great Plains conical with 95gr Pyrdoex RS. I am getting 2in groups at 100yds, and can probably do better than that if I needed. After a shot I will do a spit patch, then a dry patch and then a cap. I will probably shoot about 15-20 rounds a session and then thoroughly clean the rifle.

So to answer your OP, I think you are over cleaning. I'd also like to know what you are doing for lubed bullets?
Thanks for sharing your recipe for success. The no excuse bullets come prelubed with some blue stuff on them...not sure what it is.

Sounds like a spit patch and a dry patch are the way to go.

Wrench

WKR
I've squeezed a dozen shots out of my gun with a musket cap, 777 fffg and the no excuses with wad before I had a fail to fire from the dirty nipple.

cnelk

WKR
My first shot for hunting is always with a once fired barrel. Never a clean barrel.
I will load a half charge, push a wad of paper down and POOF it out.

Seems like a fouled barrel will shoot more consistently.

OP
Legend

Legend

WKR
My first shot for hunting is always with a once fired barrel. Never a clean barrel.
I will load a half charge, push a wad of paper down and POOF it out.

Seems like a fouled barrel will shoot more consistently.
One more thing to add to my to do list. This has been a great educational post for me. Thanks everyone.

As too the killing power of a pure lead ball, it gets the job done and rather well on deer size game and black bear if you do your part (shot placement and no farther than 80-100 yards. now that is out of the way- find some goex 3-f black powder, 490 pure lead ball, 15 thousands patch (pure cotton no sizing in the material) pillow ticking works well, lube with a non petro based lube ( make your own bees wax, un-salted lard and olive oil in a paste configuration ) just enough lube too make the patch wet, 80 gr. measured bye volume black powder charge. Spit patch about every 4-5 shots too wipe the bore. Worked for me for years no problems

Also ditch the bullets with the hard blue wax as a lube, take a hair drier heat the bullet and wipe out the blue wax, re-lube with a non-petro based lube as mentioned above.

WKR
I'd order a box of the No Excuses 420 grain bullets and give them a run. Using a felt wad, I'd start at 60 grains and move up to 80. It ought to shoot one of those real fine. And I get lazy and rarely clean at the range.

If you can find Swiss ffg, hard to do right now, its worth a try too. Good luck.

OP
Legend

Legend

WKR
I'd order a box of the No Excuses 420 grain bullets and give them a run. Using a felt wad, I'd start at 60 grains and move up to 80. It ought to shoot one of those real fine. And I get lazy and rarely clean at the range.

If you can find Swiss ffg, hard to do right now, its worth a try too. Good luck.
Thanks. I just got some 420 NE the other day. I will probably try to keep it fairly hot as this is for an elk hunt. I should get some testing in next week.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
with a 420gr slug, it doesnt need to be pushed (hot) Buffalo hunters and their 45-70... 45cal, 405gr slug, 70gr black powder.

with a 420gr slug, it doesnt need to be pushed (hot) Buffalo hunters and their 45-70... 45cal, 405gr slug, 70gr black powder.
This is often forgotten. It's not a modern gun, so don't try to hot rod it like one. A big heavy slug has plenty of killing power, assuming you keep the range reasonable. Long as it's accurate and you know your hold for 50-125 yards, you'll be fine.

OP
Legend

Legend

WKR
shoot i'd have no trouble shooting elk at 200 yards with that load. With a round ball, my limit is 150 yards.
Makes sense. I will shoot a bunch of groups at different charges and do what the gun likes best.

Rokslide has been super helpful. Thanks everyone!

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Whats even more forgotten was most buffalo were wiped out with a 50-70 long before "buffalo hunters" got their hands on a 45-70. The USA military virtually gave away rifles and surplus 50-70 ammo to anyone that wanted to slaughter buffalo.

So yes a 450gr bullet with 70gr of real black killed millions of buffalo.

shoot i'd have no trouble shooting elk at 200 yards with that load. With a round ball, my limit is 150 yards.
To each their own. All depends on your game and your ability to judge the drop. I won’t shoot an elk past 75 or a black tail past 125 with any load. Just because the load will do some damage doesn’t mean it’ll give you a clean kill. Granted I hunt traditional flintlock so it’s a bit different game.

cnelk

WKR
Thanks. I just got some 420 NE the other day. I will probably try to keep it fairly hot as this is for an elk hunt. I should get some testing in next week.
Did you get a sizing pack from NE?
They are super helpful in determining the perfect size of bullet for your barrel

OP
Legend

Legend

WKR
Did you get a sizing pack from NE?
They are super helpful in determining the perfect size of bullet for your barrel
I did. Honestly i found it a little difficult as i didn't have a sense for how much pressure you need to get a proper fit. I have tried both .503 and .502 diameter. I think .503 is better...

Seeknelk

WKR
Try a search for muzzleloader accuracy tips here on rokslide. The guy who posted had a wealth of knowledge in the post. I know the 1/8 inch felt wads, 54 caliber for a 50 , made a huge difference. Try oxy-cote for supplies.
Also, this poster said the bullet lube was the next huge difference maker. Can't remember what was best.