Traditional muzzleloader?

b_schwin

FNG
Any one know a real good setup for a percussion rifle that will shoot a full diameter bullet really well? Prefer not to shoot a ball. Looking mostly for accuracy and distance Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lyman Great Plains Hunter, 1:32 twist rate
Any number of other "Hawkin" Style rifles.

You mostly need to look for the right twist rate of the rifling.

Round ball rifles have slow twist rates in the range of 1:70 and 1:66.

Many modern muzzleloaders that are made for shooting conicals have 1:28 twist rates.

Many cheap production rifles have a 1:48 twist as a compromise that supposedly allows you to shoot round balls or conicals.

If you want good accuracy I think it's best to look for a faster twist to shoot full bore conicals.

OP
B

b_schwin

FNG
Thanks! I’m definitely leaning towards a rifle with a 1/32 twist rate. Really wonder what an effective range these rifles have. I’m guessing 150 yds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RnnHntr

FNG
Also look at the used T/C Renegades. They will shoot round balls decently and bullets like the T/C Maxi-ball really well.

WKR
Look for a T/C Renegade or Hawken with a 1" barrel. Then find a Green Mountain Replacement barrel in 1 in 28 twist. Very nice combination. Effective to 150 fairly easy.

Personally I just shoot large diameter roundballs with excellent luck. Probably about a 125 yard rig for me.